1977 Datsun 620 PU Brakes Grab

Rummie

New Shoes, wheel cylinders, turned drums.

When I start the engine, the pedal goes towards the floor.

Bled the brakes over and over again.

Very little pedal. Very Little.

NO leaks.

Auto Trans will overcome the brakes in reverse. Must put trans into Neutral to stop truck.

Any ideas are welcomed.

Thanks

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You need to raise each wheel and adjust the shoes in until they just start to rub. pump several times to center the shoes and check the adjustment again. Do the rest. Look here about 1/4 way down the page for drum brake adjustments how to.

Also make sure you bleed the NLSV Nissan Load Sensing Valve located on the inside of the frame rail under the passenger seat. This must be bled also.

It's perfectly normal for the pedal to drop (but only slightly) when the motor is started... even on a good system.

You need to raise each wheel and adjust the shoes in until they just start to rub. pump several times to center the shoes and check the adjustment again. Do the rest. Look here about 1/4 way down the page for drum brake adjustments how to.

Also make sure you bleed the NLSV Nissan Load Sensing Valve located on the inside of the frame rail under the passenger seat. This must be bled also.

It's perfectly normal for the pedal to drop (but only slightly) when the motor is started... even on a good system.

yup. as he said. i have drums on my 73, which i hate, and i have to do this every so often. its a pain but when they work right, they work great.

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well FWIW the '78 FSM says...

Master cylinder front

Master cylinder rear..... this probably means bench bleeding the master

NLSV front

NLSV rear

Front wheels

Rear wheels

NLSV rear

NLSV center

I know this flies in the face of everything but it does make sense to purge air from the front first and work to the rear with solid fluid.