Datsun Dealership photos

The Datsun Maru was of the first generation dedicated car carrier, built as such and was never a bulk carrier. Although it does look like a bulk carrier, they probably used the same basic design.

Maybe what has happened is that previous generations of car carriers have gotten better designs?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Datsun Maru was of the first generation dedicated car carrier, built as such and was never a bulk carrier. Although it does look like a bulk carrier, they probably used the same basic design.

Maybe what has happened is that previous generations of car carriers have gotten better designs?

Agreed.  The ship above is not the Datsun Maru though.  See the Datsun Maru here. http://jdm-car-parts.com/special-tip/nissandatsun-ship-suruga-maru-the-first-automibile-transportor-in-the-world/

ah so the car carrier has progressed

MOL History

In 1965, MOL launched the Oppama Maru, which was equipped with Japan's first RO/RO system loading/unloading equipment specifically for automobiles. Cars could be loaded at a rate of 100 units per hour, drastically shortening loading/unloading time and greatly reducing cargo damage.

ph-01pop.jpg

* It also had an ingenious technology called a "car lifter," allowing perfectly lateral movement of cars loaded from the elevator with a system of rotating pipes. This made it quick and easy to move vehicles in the narrow space available.

* The vessel could be used as a bulkship when the movable car decks were lifted up...equipped with cranes for loading/unloading bulk cargo.

The mid-1960s brought the launch of pure car carriers (PCCs), which transported automobiles only on both outbound and inbound voyages...PCCs do not have cranes because they are designed to transport only automobiles.

In the 1970s ... designers minimized the height of the car decks, allowing more decks and increasing capacity.

• Like 1

I was thinking more Dr Oz

and no not from Englandland ,,,,,,,,im from ,,,,,,The internet

internet_guide.jpg

Got most of those from a thread about old or defunct dealerships and gas stations in the UK ,,but there`s over 640 pictures and just posted Datsun ones

http://www.flickriver.com/groups/1261441@N23/pool/interesting/

A couple more ,,and in the second from the last,,  Austin dealership photo i think there`s a truck to the left of picture,,,,but don't know those well enough ,,Little help??

3874952815_f1f75bc426_z.jpg

3889466052_efd15eb68e_z.jpg

3996695531_32393cb2c1_z.jpg

3996695369_c136f7fa2b_z.jpg

And is it a Sunny on the left or do i need to delete ??

5822005794_1f09439b69_z.jpg

And as a bonus ( because i loaded it already :lol: ),,, a British.???  redneck geerage

3975465905_b2a3fc1559_z.jpg

Why does the Nissan showroom have a huge Mitsubishi logo on it?

I think that they were only renting a couple floors of that building-- in this video you can see the "Mitsubishi Electric" sign on the upper half of the building-- Nissan later moved to a different building right around the corner where you can still see new and old Nissan's today.  (Last time I was there an original Nissan Silvia was on display, along with new models)

Michael

• Like 1