Non suck ass gas cap?

Icehouse

510 gas tanks suck for 2 reasons....

1. If the fuel leave is to low during a long right corner I run out of gas

Solution

Keep fuel leave above the 1/2 mark which brings me to....

2. During a hard left corner if the fuel level is about 1/2 the gas falls out

Solution

Get a gas cap thats worth a shit! But where? I've boughten the factory replacements from shucks, which suck just as bad. I don't really want to do the s13 neck.

I hate how the gas runs down the side of my car! someone post a link to a non suck ass cap

thanks guys

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just buy the factory one from the dealer and viola! no problems.

Yeah bout those schucks caps the rubber seal dies in a day or so.

The other option is using a locking cap. I know its double locked then but they seal real well since the seal design is totally different. You can always get a locking cap and get rid of the lock on the door and put a 210/720 gas door pull on there. You will have to mod it a little though.

HHHmm do you have the part number for the stock cap? I've tried to veer away from using any Shucks or equal competitors parts. I have a new quote to go along with it. "why by a part for a Japanese car thats made in China?" haha yeah its kinda stupid I know :D

You should. It's nice. :D

I think I have the DQ article on how to do it.... Maybe I should. I don't really have a problem getting the gas in though, just keeping it in there :D I would rather just buy a worthy cap and be done. A fuel cell would be nice but unless it can fit in the factory spot I'm not interested. Putting the gas tank in the spare tire well with no cage to protect it in a daily driver just seems like a bad idea.

Maybe I should. I don't really have a problem getting the gas in though...

Although that's a nice side benefit, I did it because I couldn't find the right gas cap anywhere. :P

That, and I had just bought an s13 tank to get the fuel pump out of and decided to cut the neck off before scrapping it. Good thing I did...

Although that's a nice side benefit, I did it because I couldn't find the right gas cap anywhere. :P

That, and I had just bought an s13 tank to get the fuel pump out of and decided to cut the neck off before scrapping it. Good thing I did...

So you installed an in tank pump? How does it do in the corners? Any pics?

So you installed an in tank pump? How does it do in the corners? Any pics?

Does much better in the corners when you are below 1/4 tank than an external pump. Never tried external with a surge tank, though. Besides, this is a fairly easy mod (if you have any fab experience) and is much cleaner. :D

Here's a pic of the main mod:

tankhole_flange1.jpg

I cut a hole in the top of the stock tank, cut that "ring" from the S13 tank, before welding it in I cut the metal "cup" from the S13 tank and welded it into the 510 tank below the pump, then welded in the ring.

Then I shortened the S13 pump assumbly by about 2" to get the pump right near the bottom of the floor of the tank. Then bolt it in and go! :D

That and I also removed the fuel level sender from the S13 pump and the associated wiring. Since the new pump sits off to one side I'm keeping the stock sender where it is and just plugging up the stock 510 feed/return lines.

if it's the same as a 521 you can buy a new locking stant g-764 on ebay for under $10 if you wait for it to pop up or i may be able to ask the seller i bought mine from if he has another. i think more than 1 seller has these.

at first they seem to not work cause they are so damn tight they wont just push on with your palm. you have to actually push on each side of the cap where the locking tabs are one side at a time to get it on.

back in the day 12 years ago on my first 521 i couldn't get a locking cap so i ended up using a 620 or 720 filler tube that i had a adapter reducer welded on. a bunch of crap i didn't even need to go through.

i'm almost sure the 510 (dont know what years) and 521 are the same cause mine had the original giant butterfly non locking style that is also on the 510. now those are hard ones to come by.

How safe are they? If I had installed it in the spare tire well and I got rearend would it blow up? I've saw a pic of a blue 510 that got rearended, dam that thing was crushed! It looked like a vw rabbit.... The driver said the factory tank move forward about 2 inches but didn't leak. Do you think a SCCA fuel cell would get crushed open? I wonder if I could find one to fit in the factory location.

How safe are they? If I had installed it in the spare tire well and I got rearend would it blow up?

No, it would not. And if you get hit THAT hard in a 510, gas leaking might not be your biggest problem...

Do you think a SCCA fuel cell would get crushed open? I wonder if I could find one to fit in the factory location.

Good fuel cells have a bladder so that when broken, they do not leak.

However, my advice would be to mount it in the stock location. Better crash protection is never a bad thing. And a spare is nice to have in a street car.

I went to the dealer today, the caps are NLA :( I may be forced to go with a fuel cell.... well.... I still don't know.

a 510 aint no pinto! :lol:

:D

cells are supposed to take it in a collision, etc.

i just got one and im still debating how its goin in...hopefully it fits in place of the stock tank :blink:

i like stant caps also.

Well try it out so I can order one :D

No, it would not. And if you get hit THAT hard in a 510, gas leaking might not be your biggest problem...

Haha true :D I don't want to have to worry about a fire on top of everything else though :eek:

Good fuel cells have a bladder so that when broken, they do not leak.

That would make me at least feel safe :D

However, my advice would be to mount it in the stock location. Better crash protection is never a bad thing. And a spare is nice to have in a street car.

Spares are over rated!! :D I guess I will be hunting for a cell that will fit in the stock location

i'll see if i can post some pics 4 u tomorrow...i love my plasma cutter, hehe..it's not for the faint of heart or a really cherry car though...and yes, they are much safer than the stocker. we use ATL 12 gallon units and they retail for around $470.00...