Turbo A12, need suggestions

Ok so this is an idea that I have had and it won't be happening anytime soon but I figured I would get suggestions and feedback now. I really like the A12 that my '72 1200 has in it but I would like to some day turbo it with a small 4-7 pound turbo off of a stock turbocharged car. (people sell them all the time when they upgrade) Thinking about the transmission I know there is no way that the stock one could handle the force. I read an article on MotorMavens about a 510 that was built up and boosted much how I would like to do it. He used a 280zx turbo transmission and I'm wondering if that would work in a 1200. I know that i would need to have an adapter plate made but what I am wondering is if much modification would need to be made to the transmission tunnel. Also if there is any information anyone has to offer feel free to input.

I was going to post this in the 1200 section but figured I would get more opinions here. I am on a small budget so I want to plan it all out and get my set up one piece at a time. In a perfect world I would like to get an A12 engine to build up separate from my car and put the whole set up in.

by the way i plan on doing a push-through carbed turbo set up, I saw this done on Datsun1200.com and I like the simplicity of it. Don't bother suggesting engine swaps to me or going injected I know what I don't want to do :)

thanks,

Aron C.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does that take into account the possible need to swap the rear end? And I'm also wondering about the need to upgrade the suspension in the front.

Maybe It came accross wrong... I'm not choosing this because I wan't to go a cheaper route, I just wish to keep the A12 motor for nostalgic reasons.

I got my inspiration from these two places.

http://motormavens.com/2009/10/center-stage-garage-autohero-datsun-510/

http://datsun1200.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=228667

Maybe I'm getting into something I can't handle but I figured I would gather the information.

I would think that a FS5W63A (dogleg) would be sufficient for what you want to do. They were used behind the L20b but were also available for the A series. Be on the lookout for '77ish B210s as a donor for this. This would allow it to be bolt in without an adapter and will cut the costs considerably. This isn't the FS5W60A (standard shift pattern) used in the 210 that all the Rivergate MG guys want. Be aware that you will need the 63 clutch disc and driveline. When I converted mine I used the B210 clutch assy and put my 1200 rear flange on the B210 driveline. It was never quite right (vibration) so I eventually had a driveline built. You will have to hammer on the tunnel a little but the shifter will pop through the original location.

I was typing as you responded :huh: .

The B210 rearend is a bolt-in and would simplify the driveline issues. It is an H150 over the 1200s H145. The front suspension would be fine since you aren't really adding weight. That doesn't mean that you couldn't upgrade anyway. These cars aren't known for their huge brakes.

In the For Sale section:

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/17075-b210-5-spd-transmision/

I was typing as you responded :huh: .

The B210 rearend is a bolt-in and would simplify the driveline issues. It is an H150 over the 1200s H145. The front suspension would be fine since you aren't really adding weight. That doesn't mean that you couldn't upgrade anyway. These cars aren't known for their huge brakes.

thanks for the suggestions I will keep my eye out for a 210 either a donor car or at the pull-a-part. I'm glad you fully read my post and the part about "don't bother me with engine swap suggestions". I know that they are more cost effective but not what I want to do. :) because I am difficult

If you ever went with an L-series transmission dont' bother with the T5 from the turbo Z. A non-turbo 280ZX transmission will be plenty strong enough for 250hp...

but of course, you're probably looking at 100whp with a boosted A-series.

good point. The only thing I don't like about the 210 drivline idea is that the dogleg five speed doesn't sound very appealing. I.E. shifting up from first to second :/

Did the orange B210 at the yard have any parts you can use?

from what I could tell it had a 4 speed just like the one in my car. I'm not very familiar with what is compatible so you tell me. Is there anything on that car I could use. If I had to guess i would say it had a complete A14 engine.

dont do it like this

HAHAHAHA that is what I call ghetto. I plan on having a home made system but nothing like that. Is it just me or is the tube going from the exhaust to the hot side rubber? I'd like to see how long that lasts. After reading into it, I am not sure weather I would want to do a suck through or blow through set up. So far suck through sounds more appealing due to the fact that you don't need to change the carb or fuel pump.

Guys have done an A12 turbo conversion -- successfully -- for as little as $300.

you're probably looking at 100whp with a boosted A-series

Exactly right. That's a lot more power than an A14.

There is only one tranmission to even consider: The B-210 5-speed, 1976-1978. All others 4-speed and 5-speeds for A-series engine are lightweight. The B-210 5-speed is the same as fitted to L20B, and can easily handle the torque of a boosted A12.

If you do all the work yourself it will take some time, but not a lot of money. For 5 psi you don't even need an intercooler. Of course you can make more power with one, but you don't need one.

Guys have done an A12 turbo conversion -- successfully -- for as little as $300.

Exactly right. That's a lot more power than an A14.

There is only one tranmission to even consider: The B-210 5-speed, 1976-1978. All others 4-speed and 5-speeds for A-series engine are lightweight. The B-210 5-speed is the same as fitted to L20B, and can easily handle the torque of a boosted A12.

If you do all the work yourself it will take some time, but not a lot of money. For 5 psi you don't even need an intercooler. Of course you can make more power with one, but you don't need one.

Thank you I think that everyone that replys to this thread needs to pay a visit to Home Made Turbo.com

I need to meet you someday at a get together so you can tell me all of your wisdom :)

hey opelwagon, if you are interested, i have a complete series 63 dogleg five speed tranny from a 77 b210 for sale. send me a pm if you are interested.

I would be very interested depending on how much you would want for it, because shipping costs I'm sure would be crazy. PM me with a price if you can.