Car Nicknames, Whats Yours?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I call my dime "the bucket" everyday, but her name is actually "Erika" because(like my ex who I named her after) she may not be the best looking to most people, she is the most faithful and georgous car to me and I may have treated her wrong from time to time, she holds it together and keeps me happy. =]

• Like 3
  • 1 year later...

My Honey Bee has been called many things: Bumble Bee, Humble Bee, Rumble Bee. By one person, it was called all three... every time she saw it.

It's called Dotty by one friend.

But, I call it Willard... Someone said the car looked like a mallard, so my brain went to one of my MMO character's named Willard. So it stuck.

Rumble Bee sounds good too!

cY0k4IA.jpg

What a great thread.  All of my cars have had names.  Not sure why but they have.

This was my first "car" - a 1949 Chevy 3/4 ton p/u - Grimace

I went halvsies with my dad and bought it when I was 14 or 15.  My grandpa helped me restore and paint it and I was driving it by the time I got my license at 16.

Grimace.jpg

I sold it when I went to college - to a German dentist on an RV trip around the Washington Peninsula.  He picked up a "Truck Trader" at a gas station, saw my rig and had to have it.  He drove to our house in the RV, paid for it in travelers checks, and drove it away.  Apparently he had a business associate in Portland who was going to take care of arranging shipping back to Germany.

You should have seen the look on the bank tellers face when some 18 year old kid walks into the bank with $3,500 in travelers checks signed by some German guy.  :confused:

Needless to say, I had to wait a few days before I saw the money in my account.

My next car was my first Datsun.  I wanted a 510 but back then (1990) you found cars in the newspaper and in Auto Trader.  When I was ready to buy I couldn't find any but did find a really nice 1979 Datsun 210 - Tortilla Chip

tortilla_chip_pre-paint.jpg

My uncle actually named it, he had a beat down green B210 he called The Fish so somehow mine became Chip (fish & chip har har) and later Tortilla Chip due to the color. 

The summer before college I stripped it down and painted it diamond jet black.  It came out really nice!

tortilla_chip_during_paint_12_.jpg

tortilla_chip_during_paint_10_.jpg

tortilla_chip_during_paint_13_.jpg

tortilla_chip_post-paint.jpg

tortilla_chip_post-paint_7_.jpg

lots of photos here: http://datsun510.com/index.php?/gallery/album/351-tortilla-chip/

• Like 1

In our final quarters of college, my wife was driving the datsun when a newspaper delivery guy blew threw an uncontrolled intersection and hit her head on.  Speeds were thankfully low so Brenda was unhurt but the car was totaled.  I was working construction on graveyard shift while finishing school and we figured a truck might be a better vehicle for us so we went shopping for a Chevy S-10 and came away with 1983 GMC S-15.  It had some damage to the rear bed/tailgate area and looked like it had just been given a wedgie so we named it Melvin.

I eventually put on a new bed and rear bumper and painted it lapis blue, then added wheels and a lowering kit.  Great little truck. 

s10_front_side.jpg

Enjoyed it for years before selling it to a co-worker.

More photos here:  http://datsun510.com/index.php?/gallery/album/700-melvin/

Then I finally got my first 510!  A late 69 2dr with a 68 dash, roll bar, recaros, L20, stiff suspension, etc.  Quickly earned the name Mr. Burns due to the smoke cloud that followed me down the road.  (had a bit of an appetite for oil) 

159510_front_side1.jpg

Eventually changed to and LZ22 from Dave Lum.  Loved that car!  It was fun to drive and super loud (glasspack only, no muffler) but eventually put a different L20 in it and sold it to Jason Wong up in Canada.

lots of photos here:  http://datsun510.com/index.php?/gallery/album/154-mr-burns/

• Like 1

Next car I think was Brenda's 98 Neon ACR.  The first and only car we have ever bought brand new.  I don't think it had a name.  I guess it was always but we had that thing forever.  Fun little car.  Sold it to a co-worker a couple years ago.

Now that the internet was coming alive, finding 510's was getting easier and easier and the next one I found from a post on the Bluebirds mailing list.  A guy up north was giving away a 2dr.  We picked it up with Melvin, towed it home, and named it Dixie.  Orange exterior and cream interior, like a Dixie cup ice cream treat.

159dixie_a.JPG

Eventually, I realized I was never going to have the time to build this into the car I had imagined so I added enough parts to make it a complete car, cleaned it up, and sold it to a cool guy in Australia who had it shipped down there with another car you'll see later.

dixie_sale_prep_30_.JPG

Bye_Bye_Dixie_3_.JPG

lots of photos here: http://datsun510.com/index.php?/gallery/album/159-dixie/

• Like 1

Next 510 was another non-running 2dr.  This one came with a name already - Snowflake.  It's my keeper 2dr that I still have not started building so it hasn't found another name.  I imagine it will just be Snowflake forever.  I will build this car someday...

159050403_snowflake.jpg

a few more photos here: http://datsun510.com/index.php?/gallery/album/157-snowflake/

Then came my first wagon.  Flipper.  Name gained when PO forgot to close the hood before we took off on the test drive.  (you can guess what happened next)

159flipper_driver_rear_a.jpg

After driving it for a few years I gave it a Maaco paint job and sold it to a co-worker

159061704_Flipper_driver_b.JPG

More pics here: http://datsun510.com/index.php?/gallery/album/155-flipper/

he then sold it on and eventually it popped up again nearby and has since received a lot of time, money, and attention

Canby_2014_305_.JPG

Probably has a new name now.  I should ask next time I see her (the current owner)