WTB 2x 86.5-90 D21 Z24i distributors 8 plug dizzy hardbody pickup

Im looking for distributors from the hardbody pickup with the Z24i. Im pretty sure they were in the trucks from 86.5 to 90 or 91. The trucks used a throttle body style fuel injection system. The throttle body looks like a carb with a huge injector in the middle of it. I think most had 8 plug heads and I have herd rumors that some had 4 but i really doubt it. If you pull the cap and router off these distributors there is a gold colored plate under which there is a optical sensor and a chopper wheel.

I am willing to pay for shipping if you are not local or don't feel like meeting me somewhere, but would prefer to pay cash in person.

-Dime

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im looking for distributors from the hardbody pickup with the Z24i. Im pretty sure they were in the trucks from 86.5 to 90 or 91. The trucks used a throttle body style fuel injection system. The throttle body looks like a carb with a huge injector in the middle of it. I think most had 8 plug heads and I have herd rumors that some had 4 but i really doubt it. If you pull the cap and router off these distributors there is a gold colored plate under which there is a optical sensor and a chopper wheel.

I am willing to pay for shipping if you are not local or don't feel like meeting me somewhere, but would prefer to pay cash in person.

-Dime

The D-21 with the Z24i was available from 86.5 till '90. Look for two wing nuts holding the air filter on over the TBI (which has two injectors) but with a single cover over them. All Z24i had 8 plugs, only the '80 200sx with the Z20E had the 4 plug head. The distributor is really a CAS (crank angle sensor)

With this CAS you can convert a KA EFI system over to work on any Z24 motor.

• Like 1

Thanks Mike,

I had herd stories of the 4 plug Z head but was unsure what it came on. I was also unsure of the cut off date from the Z series to KA engines in the hardbody truck.

Im going to try and use this in L series engines. I think if i use the splined oil pump drive spindle from the 82-83 280zx turbo it should just bolt up. I have a 82-83 280zx turbo dizzy and it is very similar to the 86.5-90 Z24i dizzy. The caps may be interchangeable.

I have nearly all the electronics/wiring to do this.

I have already started on making my own intake.

2009-11-15%2018.58.57.jpg

2009-11-15%2018.59.07.jpg

Now the only big item left is the Dizzy.

I will do a full write up when I finish with good pictures and I hope dyno graph and wide band O2 tuning.

I have also run a L28 just ignition off of an Infinity M30 ECU using the same techniques. That was just a trial of the setup though. I will post a video on youtube after work today. I hope to fully implement it on a L18 or L20 before I do it again on the L28.

I hope someone has one to sell me I really have been dragging my heals on this project because I have so much trouble finding this part.

Im not super sure the cap will fit. I have some KA dizzys laying around I can check the disk size with.

I will take the 280zx turbo distributor with me to autozone and get the cheap cap/rotor there and check the fit.

The KA's came with different base timing on the cas disks So I may need to try a few of them. I will still need these because the turbo dizzy I have is for a friends 240 turbo project. But it would widen my parts search.

-Dame

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.