Datsun wagon 1959 four doors

elpaco

This datsun was owned by my father in law for more 24 years, I got it some years ago (as a present). Firstly, It is in the way to restore the outside almost as it was. The inside (engine and transmission) was repaired a year ago and it is functioning properly but it is not the original.

gallery_4446_479_27360.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This datsun was owned by my father in law for more 24 years, I got it some years ago (as a present). Firstly, It is in the way to restore the outside almost as it was. The inside (engine and transmission) was repaired a year ago and it is functioning properly but it is not the original.

welcome to ratsun!!!! we need pics of this please

• Like 1

Welcome I am so glad you made it PAco! We've been talking about his 59 through e-mail. It is the rare 4-door wagon I believe! Paco let me know if you need help posting pictures? Did you get the e-mail explaining photobucket?

• Like 1

Welcome I am so glad you made it PAco! We've been talking about his 59 through e-mail. It is the rare 4-door wagon I believe! Paco let me know if you need help posting pictures? Did you get the e-mail explaining photobucket?

I put one of your photos from your gallery into my photobucket, and copied and pasted it into the first post for you so folks can see what we are talking about!

It is interesting Paco, the grill would have me think that this was a 1960 rather than a 1959, but it may have been different in Mexico than Japan.

• Like 1

It is a plate on the post where is written that it is 1960 model, however the invoice is written that it is 1959.

What a wonderful vehicle! I've never seen modern pictures of one. The window stickers give it such character! I think I am in love! (And I bet MKlotz would love to have a wagon like this!)

This is very interesting, the side trim stops on the front doors. That is the way they did it in 1958-1959 on the sedan. In 1960 the side trim went all the way down the side of the vehicle.

Love the roof rack!

• Like 1

I am not even sure what model this is? Very different from the vpl221 that auctioned on ebay the other week. Is it a VPL210 or VPL211? More pics from PAco:

Love the upper and lower tailgates!

09-07-07_1643.jpg

18-03-06_1037.jpg

18-03-06_1039.jpg

Paco was curious if these taillights were original, as they stick out at an odd angle. I am not sure as I can't find a picture of the rear of one of these.

DSC03462.jpg

• Like 1

That thing is sweet and its awesome to see you restoring it. Whats the odds of getting some better pics of the hood ornament and do you plan on keeping it? If you want to get rid of it let me know.

How many different bodystyles of each datsun did they make? This almost reminds me of an old morris? I think... it looks similar to an old british car. Keep up with the pics and progress.

• Like 1

I am not even sure what model this is? Very different from the vpl221 that auctioned on ebay the other week. Is it a VPL210 or VPL211?

Really? It looks spot on 210 goon to me. the 211 side trim goes all the way back, the grill is different and the bumpers have the vertical additions. I'd also say no way those rear tails are original, they don't look anything like the 210 211 221 etc lights.

So thats my vote, it's a 1000 (210) goon.

Is it me or is that thing dying to be a woody with a board on the rack? lol

• Like 1

Thank you very much for your comments. Yes, I want to keep the ornament that is on hood, it is already repaired to be back on the hood. I read somewhere that this datsun was the first to enter Mexico around 1959 - 1960. I had compared the my datsun's grill with other models, so I guess it is a 1959 or 1958, at least with the information found through internet (I can add some picture), I really guess it is a 1959. I am adding a picture showing the plate screwed on the door's post, it is shown that it is a 1960.

DSC03295.jpg

• Like 1

Really? It looks spot on 210 goon to me. the 211 side trim goes all the way back, the grill is different and the bumpers have the vertical additions. I'd also say no way those rear tails are original, they don't look anything like the 210 211 221 etc lights.

So thats my vote, it's a 1000 (210) goon.

Is it me or is that thing dying to be a woody with a board on the rack? lol

Agreed the back quarter pannels have the same sort of shape and the 210 or 211. Here is my guess. It is a 1959 BUT has the front grill of a 1960 and the tag/plate from a 1960. The reason I guess that is that the plate says L211, but we know that is wrong because that is the model # of the 1960 4-door sedan and this is a wagon. It had to have a different # right? So, a 1958 or 1959 VL210?

The hood ornament is from something else too. But looks cool! It should have one of these:

P9300076.jpg

If I had to guess Paco it originally had this taillight, but it is hard to know for sure. They did do different things for the wagons. It could have been bullet shaped or more flat. The lower lense (yellow) is a reflector and not an actual turn signal with a bulb. (At least on mine.) The red lights flashed.

P9300072.jpg

IMG_1750.jpg

• Like 1

Hey Fisch, Steve has one of these wagons, Ill see if I can get in for some reference pics

(its buried in stuff in the shop lol)

That would be great! especially if he has the 4-door wagon? There were some similar 2 door delivery type vehicles. Back end was a bit different.

Van2puertas1959.jpg

• Like 1

That would be great! especially if he has the 4-door wagon? There were some similar 2 door delivery type vehicles. Back end was a bit different.

Van2puertas1959.jpg

heres some pics I snapped with my cell last time I was there (Ill have to ask him the years and some specifics on them cuz I was just pokin around the shop, he mentioned somthing about the goon being really rare)

121009_1637a.jpg

green ones a truck version and the white one behind it is a goon

121009_1637.jpg

theres a second truck back there too

• Like 1