California DMV moving permit

OK, so I thought I'd share this here, some may already know this, but here it is.

I went to the DMV last week because I needed to move a vehicle with no tags.

I brought the Title to the vehicle I wanted to move, and went to the "Start here" window.

When I explained to him what I wanted to do, he told me to go to the next window and not show them the title.

just ask for a moving permit, this is not the same as a one trip permit.

The girl at the window charged me $18.00 asked no questions and gave me a blank moving permit.

you fill out the permit stick it on the windshield, and you're good to go for a one way trip OR a round trip.

This will get you anywhere in the U.S.

So, to move that project that has no Tags to the alignment shop, or if you buy that car with 10 year old tags, this will get you there,

As I said some here may know this but I thought I'd bring it up.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is rather timely that you should post this as I was just thinking about doing this today!

I need to move my Chevelle to my brothers house pretty soon and get my 510 home. The Chevelle runs and is currently on a Non Op. Will this affect the non op and do you need to prove insurance to have it on the road on the move permit?

I was asked no questions about what Vehicle it was for, so it won't affect the non op. and no questions about insurance.

I was given a BLANK permit to fill out, NO VIN, NO DATES for the move, NOTHING to return to the DMV.

I did contact my insurance CO and bought insurance, because the vehicle was moving over 1,000 miles. then canceled it after the move, because I was not willing to risk my ass on that one.

You can pay the money and that permit is for the day you write on it. If the car is already in your name, have the moving day picked ahead of time and it will be free with that specific date on it for just the car you own.

Wow I've never heard of that type of permit. I have lived in California all m life and I've been driving and registering vehicles since I was 15 years old. Well I'll start my dmv story now, in May of 2009 I went to the dmv here in Sacramento Ca. I went to the registration window and I told them I needed to complete the registration on my Datsun pickup. I had already obtained the weight certificate and deposited $466.00 in fees during the last year and a half. The woman at the window told me I still needed to bring the truck to the dmv for the vin number verification and that I still owed $354.00 in fees. I was surprised at the amount still owed,but she said because I only deposited fees and never completed the registration process I was out of luck. That the state was in a budget crisis and because of it fees had increased. I told her well I have no choice this is going to be my only vehicle, so I paid the fees and I asked her for an operating permit. Which is usually issued for a month. She told me the process for issuing these permits has changed, a person like you who habitually does not comply with dmv registration requirements will no longer be issued a permit for longer than one day. I asked her what makes you say that I'm a person who habitually does not comply? She said because you started this process March of 2007 and have been back three times before today and have not completed the process. I said I'm sorry I don't have money like you, I have to save up to pay what your department feels are necessary fees. I asked her how did this new permit process work? She said you have to tell me exactly what day you plan on bringing the truck to the dmv and I can issue you a permit for that day only. And your only allowed to drive the truck to the dmv and then home. So i picked a day and got my permit. The dmv sucks! In total I paid $820.00 to get my license plates and tags! I don't regret it at all because I really love my truck!

Pretty much every state has a trip permit of somekind. Me, I just drive the thing. 1000 miles is a lot, but for around town, the likelihood of getting pulled over is pretty slim, and most cops (if you're not a dick) understand if you say, I'm just moving it down for paint or whatever, and then it's going to the dmv. Don't hold me to that if you get pulled over, though...:)

You can pay the money and that permit is for the day you write on it. If the car is already in your name, have the moving day picked ahead of time and it will be free with that specific date on it for just the car you own.

Yes CA has two types of permit, the free one trip permit, and the $18.00 moving permit, this one is good for a one way trip, or a round trip, there is a sopt to check on the permit for the type of trip.

The thing I do when I get a new project vehicle, is to go to the DMV and ask for Title only. that way you just pay the Tax and transfer fees. and do not have to pay for tags. then you get a title in you name.

I do this because if I plan to spend money on the vehicle, it's in my name before the process begins.

I do believe that if a vehicle has back reg. they will want the fees that are due when you get the title.

when you buy something with back fees due it can make the vehicle not worth buying very quickly, and is worth checking out before you agree to the deal.

Wow I've never heard of that type of permit. I have lived in California all m life and I've been driving and registering vehicles since I was 15 years old. Well I'll start my dmv story now, in May of 2009 I went to the dmv here in Sacramento Ca. I went to the registration window and I told them I needed to complete the registration on my Datsun pickup. I had already obtained the weight certificate and deposited $466.00 in fees during the last year and a half. The woman at the window told me I still needed to bring the truck to the dmv for the vin number verification and that I still owed $354.00 in fees. I was surprised at the amount still owed,but she said because I only deposited fees and never completed the registration process I was out of luck. That the state was in a budget crisis and because of it fees had increased. I told her well I have no choice this is going to be my only vehicle, so I paid the fees and I asked her for an operating permit. Which is usually issued for a month. She told me the process for issuing these permits has changed, a person like you who habitually does not comply with dmv registration requirements will no longer be issued a permit for longer than one day. I asked her what makes you say that I'm a person who habitually does not comply? She said because you started this process March of 2007 and have been back three times before today and have not completed the process. I said I'm sorry I don't have money like you, I have to save up to pay what your department feels are necessary fees. I asked her how did this new permit process work? She said you have to tell me exactly what day you plan on bringing the truck to the dmv and I can issue you a permit for that day only. And your only allowed to drive the truck to the dmv and then home. So i picked a day and got my permit. The dmv sucks! In total I paid $820.00 to get my license plates and tags! I don't regret it at all because I really love my truck!

thank god i dont live in california. i wouldn't have a single car to my name if i did. those fees are INSANE!

You can still trailer it without a permit. As long as the tires never touch the public street you'll be good. The DMV person will say you need it but the law says you don't.

You can still trailer it without a permit. As long as the tires never touch the public street you'll be good. The DMV person will say you need it but the law says you don't.

thats what i meant. trailer is fine.

un reg vehicle on dolly w/2 wheels on the ground is not. <_<

fuckin DMV!!! :angry:

The requirement to have current registration or temp tags/permits to tow something isn't unique to California. Washington requires it as well, and I'm pretty sure most except the most backwards of States have a similar requirement. A guy in my old neighborhood went as far as to "license" his dirt-track car as a trailer. Looked weird with a trailer plate on a gutted Nova. Don't think that would fly nowadays. When I towed a truck out of California with a tow dolly I called the various DMVs; California wouldn't accept a Washington trip permit, but also wouldn't issue a trip permit to a non-Californian. They actually recommended I stick the Washington trip permit on it and feign ignorance... Oregon and Idaho both said the Washington trip permit was fine. In any case I had no problems, never was stopped in either trip. Nowadays I have a full flatbed trailer so don't have to worry about it at all.

• 2 years later...

hello all and thanx in advance for your help.

im living in ca and relocating to florida in a few months. today is july 3rd 2012. my vehicle was due to be registered june 2nd 2012. im leaving for florida mid august 2012. i dont want to pay fees in california just to turn around and pay registration fees in florida. so what are my options?

However, in California there is an "out". If your repair garage has a vehicle sales permit for used car sales, which most do, you can tow your car to their garage on their "dealer" plate. Otherwise, if it doesn't touch the public roadway, i.e.if it is towed on a flat bed tow truck, it doesn't need currently valid plates since it doesn't touch public roads. Downside, either fix it at the shop and register it or have it towed back to your driveway.

hello all and thanx in advance for your help.

im living in ca and relocating to florida in a few months. today is july 3rd 2012. my vehicle was due to be registered june 2nd 2012. im leaving for florida mid august 2012. i dont want to pay fees in california just to turn around and pay registration fees in florida. so what are my options?

California alows for a 10 day "window" in expiration of current state and initiating of new licensing, Maybe most states will honor this window? At least in spirit if not strictly by the books. All states can't be that deeply in the red.

Little people with little power. In any non-government setting, her ass and attitude would have found themselves on the street corner.

Story time:When i got my Cobra on the road it was registered & tagged in Georgia.I transferred it to Kalifornia.Then i move to Az.TWO YEARS after moving to and registering my car in Az.,i get a letter from the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia's DMV gestapo AT MY TUCSON ADDRESS SUSPENDING my Kalifornia registration because they(Kalifornia) didn't like the way Georgia DMV did it's paperwork SEVEN YEARS PRIOR!!!!!

• 10 years later...

I bought a 96 suburban & paid all the transfer & registration fees & received a 1 day moving permit because it needed some mechanical work B4 it will pass smog. I woke up in the morning filled out my permit went & got my truck & drove it back to my place because I forgot a part I needed . I parked it on the street went inside & spent maybe 10min looking for the part & found it . Went back outside to continue my way to fix my truck & a parking coo tells me my truck is being towed . I showed my permit Wich was on my dash & all the paperwork stating it's in my name & all fees are paid. They still towed my truck & the police told me the permit is only good for driving not parking . Please tell me how this makes sense . I can't afford the tow fees so I'm screwed!