My lil mule

elmerfudpucker

Well I traded my 32" lcd/dvd combo for an older 50"dlp then traded it with some kid for his 81 720 KC. It has the front tow package, so I hope most of the 171k was behind a motorhome. First look I could only find a little rust on the floor mounts in the cab, no rust or dents on the rest, but it was dark. It has a black interior and the drivers seat is is trashed, I got a toyota tercel I can steal the seats out of! There is a black plastic bedliner so I dont know the shape of the bed but I am not too worried yet. I am into the truck about $400 so far. Looks like I will be pretty busy for the next few weeks! :D Pics will soon follow!

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

ok engine bay needs repair to the battery tray

IMAGE_042.jpg

other than that I dont see any other issues

IMAGE_039.jpg

IMAGE_040.jpg

took the bedliner out and look what I didnt find!!

IMAGE_044.jpg

Gotta love a blown headgasket, between three and four.

IMAGE_045.jpg

Looks like the block is ok, we will see.

IMAGE_046.jpg

Looks like they replaced the head, it was way cleaner than the block.

IMAGE_047.jpg

RTV sealant on the intake side..WTF???

IMAGE_049.jpg

I prob could have got away with just replaceing the headgasket, but I would rather know all is good than fixing it all the time.

Nice 81. I liked my 81 better than i do the 84 i have. The 81 is a king cab and lots of options. The 84 does not have all the options. Never had a problem out of my 2.2 in the 81 but this 2.4 in the 84 has needed more work with less miles. I really want to find a 620 to put my 81 drivetrain in.

Yep, my brown truck has had the clutch replaced, my fault, and the alt. Other than that it has be from Tacoma to Spokane, Wenanchee, Yakama, Portland and all over central WA, with NO problems!! It has been buried for three days in snow in Wenanchee and I dug it out hopped in and she started on the first turn! :cool: Show me Big 3 product that can do that!! :P

• 2 weeks later...

Well finished opening and tearing down the bottom end to get it ready for the machine shop. Found a chunk of piston in the oil pan :o . Pulled all four pistons and the winner is #4! :blink:

piston.jpg

So far the cylinder wall looks ok and the crank is fine, lucky me, I was planning to bore out and oversize the pistons a touch anyway. I had 3 Parrot 3200 Bluetooths NIB that I traded for some DJ equipment then I traded that for 2 bulk kits of noise dampener, 160 sq ft of coverage and two sound shield pads. The KC will be very quiet inside! I am looking for some bucket seats, I want more comfort than looks, any ideas fellas??

• 2 weeks later...

well the block is getting bored 20 over, and I got a friend at the radiator shop that is hooking me up on boil job on the stock rad. I got all the LED lights to replace everything, still got to get a new turn sig relay that can see the lower resistance. Got a new set of coils and a big ass relay and isolator for the second battery, 85 amp hour AGM under the hood and there will be a 380 amp hour AGM where the spare tire goes. May add a second gas tank as well. So much to do, and got to get the damn thing on the road so I can get her broke in before Canby. :sweat:

Well the motor is back! Head gasket and reinstall tomarrow?

Shiny!!

IMAG0065.jpg

Still in the back of the van.

IMAG0056.jpg

Always loved good head! :D

IMAG0058.jpg

I feel like a 5 year old the night before Xmas!

IMAG0060.jpg

on the stand with a bit of paint.

IMAG0074.jpg

Hope I can have her on the road by the first! DatsuNoob, I will see you on that offer Hopefully with the 380 amp hour AGM! :D

Ok, I am looking for a group of crazy Ratsun folks that want to drop in on a Sat afternoon 10th? maybe 17th, and help me gut the cab interior to bare metal then help with sound deadening. I havent got the truck back yet but anyone that be willing, I am guessing about 2 to 4 extra hands would be great. Yes there will be a hot grill going, BYOB if you dont burn oopps, er drink, yea drink Bud! ;)

• Like 1

Ok, I am looking for a group of crazy Ratsun folks that want to drop in on a Sat afternoon 10th? maybe 17th, and help me gut the cab interior to bare metal then help with sound deadening. I havent got the truck back yet but anyone that be willing, I am guessing about 2 to 4 extra hands would be great. Yes there will be a hot grill going, BYOB if you dont burn oopps, er drink, yea drink Bud! ;)

Ill be off weekends, If Iv got gas monies and the goonies runnin right Im down :cool:

• Like 1

Well I was cleaning parts and lost a set of safety glasses to a shard, got a nick to the eyelid but my eye is still good. :sweat: But anyway more pics to come tomarrow, the rest of the parts are going to the hot tank in the morning at 10am. Looks like it will be on the road by next week!! :hyper:

well here is the motor as of today.

IMAG0087.jpg

still waiting on the timing chain, gears and such. I think it may get done but I am not holding my breath ATM. Not to mention the Sat "rip the cab out/Bar-b-que"get together has been postphoned due to work. I got to work fri from 9pm till 5am sat, then go back in at 5pm sat and work till 5am. normally this wouldnt bother me but they are shifting my time to keep me out of OT. I will be off till wed 1am... If I have her back I could do it Sunday, but that may not happen yet, thanks for the offers of help fellas but it may be delayed :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well got home at 5:30am, slept till noon, headed over to Kevin's and we got the engine in and linked to the tranny.

Cleaned the firewall

IMAG0111.jpg

Getting it to the hoist

IMAG0115.jpg

Watch yo fingers! :o

IMAG0121.jpg

It's in there!

IMAG0125.jpg

I get off tomarrow at 5am and I figure I'll be back out there by noon. I should be driving it by Sunday! :hyper:

damn buddy that is looking GOOD!!! you do the paint work yourself? Sorry if you put it and i didn't read lol. Also, what did you use to clean that firewall?

Good luck :D am going to get my goon sunday :D

Thanks, And yes some of it I helped on the block and getting it back in, but Kevin has done 99% of it. I used some detailers acid on the firewall, spray bottled it on, waited about 15 min, then soap water rinse and then rinse. I plan on restoring the orig silver color after DatsuNoob helps me refab the battery tray. Then I am gonna crack my knuckes and whip that interior and electrical and audio(my gift) into a work of art. Kevin Sweeny is a old timer god of the wrench in Southhill. I DO NOT let anyone else touch my motors for the last 10 years. He rebuilt my turbo Probe GT after Turbotech in Lakewood fucked it up, they didnt hook the oil lines correctly. I left Tacoma and was in Lexington KY in 31 hours, took Whitepass at 125 :D that includes a 6hr nap in Kansas, with no issues. I beat that car like it owed me money and it took it! I look foward to chasin that goon with my KC on I5 later!

:hyper: I GOT HER BACK!!! :hyper:

Well after 4 months of waiting, I have started the break in! :w00t: She runs like a watch but the damn parking lights are not working now. I will figure that out in the morning after I get off work. And now some fresh pics for my fellow Rats! They not even an hour old from this post. ^_^

IMAG0132.jpg

lovin the motor.

IMAG0134.jpg

body is my 2nd to last target.

IMAG0136.jpg

first rust treatment on the bed.