Transmission Identification

I got a parts datsun(d21) and this transmission was in the back. It says 200sx 5sp in yellow marker on the top like its from a Pick N Pull but I wanted to know if this is for sure. Is there any measurements I can take or numbers I can find to help? Here are pictures. Thank you. Alex.

Datsun7.jpg

Datsun2.jpg

Datsun3.jpg

Datsun4.jpg

Datsun5.jpg

Datsun6.jpg

Datsun1.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is an FS5W63A with an L series bolt pattern consistent with the dogleg from the standard manual transmission '77-'79 200sx. If you look inside behind the clutch arm the cover plate will have 7 bolts holding it on. FS5W71 'B' and 'C' type have 5 bolts. If it says 200sx there's no reason to think otherwise.

The dogleg (above) was an optional 5 spd in the '79 ('79 and '80 Canadian) A-10 (later 510) with an L series motor.

Yes, the shifter will be in the wrong place by about 2" and the driveshaft will be too short.

Better to trade it for a 720 transmission.

If you want a 5 speed that will fit without modifying the shifter hole, rear transmission mount or driveshaft, get a 5 speed from the following:

'77-'79 620

'80 720 2wd only, must be 31.5" long.

'77-'78 280z or '79-'83 280zx (non turbo) the zx 5spds have a very high 5th over drive gear. 0.745, 0.773

'79-'84 Maxima (gas or diesel)

All of the above are the correct length, bolt pattern and besides coming in a variety of different ratios are a stronger transmission than the dogleg. Gotta be cheaper than a driveshaft

• Like 1

Hands down I would say the 280zx 5 speed from '80-83 280zx as they came with highest over drive ratio, 0.773 ('80) and 0.745 ('81-'83)

I would caution you here... the majority of 620s used a 4.375 rear end ratio but the '79 truck with standard transmission came with a 4.11 rear end. Pairing it with a zx tranny may be a bit too high a set up, if carrying loads or if you live in hilly or mountainous areas. Just saying....

Okay Ill try and find one of those preferably. Thanks for the heads up on being to low. Ill keep that in mind. I probably won't ever be hauling loads and if I am it wont be much weight. But I live in Reno so there are numerous hills and grades but I really don't mind downshifting and taking it slow up them.

• 3 weeks later...