My 73 620-T

Fineline

So the day has finally come. Babys getting a new motor. I know some of you thought it would never happen so heres a little update. My plan over the next few weeks is to replace this.......

l20b.jpg

With this...

uptodate002.jpg

For those of you not familiar with my project heres a couple of pics of the build

L20b block bored to 87mm o-ringed with ARP head, main and rod studs.

block004.jpg

Z-22 crank

assemby002.jpg

L20b roda with ARP studs resized small end for full floating pins and Wiseco forged sr20det pistons

block002.jpg

Ported and polished closed chamber head with stainless valves and a 114 degree lobe center Schneider cam. Before anybody says it yes closed chamber. The dish in the piston allows me to use this and help prevent detonation. Static compression is 8.0:1

head004.jpg

Copper head gasket

headgasket001.jpg

Homemade intake manifold with 460cc rx-7 injectors

intake3009.jpg

My ignition

DIS1001.jpg

And a computer to controll it all

ecu001.jpg

So over the next few days im going to clean up the engine bay, weld up some holes and paint it. Then after dropping the motor in I have to run the charge pipes to the intercooler and wire the megasquirt. Im giving myself 1 month to get it completed but we all know how deadlines go! My HP goals are somewhere between 200 and 300 hp but we shall see. Oh yeah, the turbo is a ball bearing Garrett GT-28r. I will be sure to post a lot of progress pics as I go.

• Like 4
  • Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The pistons I got from a company in Utah. RPM motorsports or something like that. The head gasket is a Hussey copper from Import performance parts. As far as the head it is an original closed chamber. I was able to find two but havent seen any since.

• Like 1

you running MSII or MSI? I am running a MSII and EDIS in my Z. Best stuff ever.

I like your intake. did you cut the first part if the intake runners off something else? I was thinking of using a stock L6 efi intake and cutting the center ports out and having it welded back together . wouldn't look as cool tho.

did you have to grind some notches in the head on the intake ports for the injectors like in an l6 efi? are you going to run some dropping resistors with those injectors?

Kuddos for turboing the l20. tell us about your header.

peace

• Like 1
you running MSII or MSI? I am running a MSII and EDIS in my Z. Best stuff ever.

I like your intake. did you cut the first part if the intake runners off something else? I was thinking of using a stock L6 efi intake and cutting the center ports out and having it welded back together . wouldn't look as cool tho.

did you have to grind some notches in the head on the intake ports for the injectors like in an l6 efi? are you going to run some dropping resistors with those injectors?

Kuddos for turboing the l20. tell us about your header.

peace

Thanks. Yes its a MS II with the EDIS. Im looking foreward to being able to tune it with my laptop but at the same time am a little aprehensious about all this new stuff. The intake is all fabricated from sheet alluminum and tube. I used the injector bosses from a 280 manifold after trying exactly what you want to do. The two ends are close but were off by about 1/4" so I decided to make it this way. I did have to notch the head and drill and tap it for the bolts. I figured why not use the zx bosses because they had the right injector angle for an l series head. The TB is from a 240sx. Correct me if im wrong but I think i read somewhere that the MS II could controll both high and low imp. injectors? I still have a little reading to do yet. The header is made out of weld el's. You can get them at pretty much any plumbing shop and they are a thick wall so they wont crack as easily as thin wall headers. You can also get 90 and 45 degree in a tight or wide bend. I made the flanges for the head and got a pre-cut t-25 flange on ebay for the turbo side.

• Like 1
Wowy wowzers!:D This looks amazing!

What was the old motor? L18? It all ready looked like a work of art. What are you going to do with it?

Thanks. I think that picture was of the old l-16. I replaced that with a l20b. I am going to sell the carb, and edelbrock mani (not in the picture), and distributor. The motor is going to sit in my shop untill I can figure out what to turn it into. Right now im leaning twords a longrod 2.3 but thats WAY down the road.

• Like 1

damn... at the rate my car is coming along your truck may be done before mine. we shall see like you said its a project and YES we all know how those go. OH and are we still doing a junk yard run sunday morning? and I say around 190-200 hp at the tires no problem :D

• Like 1
Correct me if im wrong but I think i read somewhere that the MS II could controll both high and low imp. injectors? I still have a little reading to do yet.

From what I understand it just requires a resister. I need to read moor to :D

I love the build! Its fucking clean!

I'm also jealous of your turbo :)

• Like 1

Man, I was just getting ready to ask you whatever happened with this build. I was reading it a lot on the nwde board, and it just disappeared.

I also have a round port, closed chamber head, I've been saving for a turbo build.

How much boost do you plan to run? I want to know that before I throw my guess out there for the HP ;)

• Like 1

yeah, MSII can run hi or low imp injectors. but if you run low imp. you have to either use resistors or play with the pwm settings in megatune.

Soooooo much easier to just use dropping resistors. Just get a set from any z car. they are located next to the clutch resivior. like 2 metal boxes with wires coming out. since yours is a 4cyl you can use 1 of the boxes cause it supports 4 injectors and the other box is for 2. This way all you have to do is wire them and not have to tune them. You got enough tuning ahead of you without having to do that too.

Did you weld in a bung for the o2 sensor? If not you should and try to find someone with an Inovate Lc1 or drop $200 and get 1. you don't have to wire it permenantly, just for tuning.

Download Mega Log Viewer program. Datalog your startup and runs and open them in MLV. Very cool program. it will record your ride and play it back like a movie, showing everything from tp, rpm, temps, to o2 etc. takes the intimidation out of it. Plus it has an analyzer in it that you can turn on and it will tune it for you. That way dummies like me can have 500hp and not blow it up. again!

Tuning from a laptop is soo cool. Blows poeples mind too. and the grease build up under finger nails is almost non existant.

If there is any way I can help just drop me a line. I built my MSII myself and have been running it successfully for 2 years.

You did the rite thing by gettibg the relay box too. Shouldn't be an option. IMO

I guess 200 hp should be reasonable. at 7lbs a stock l28et makes 220. that is 36.6hp. per slug. that puts you at 150hp. spin it to 14lbs and 200+ should be easy.

I did everything inside the engine you have and I have pushed as much as

18lbs with no problems. still tuning for 20lbs.

Going to the strip tonight. I'll post results.

I am very Stoked you ar doing this.

peace

• Like 1

So finding the time to work has become difficult. Here is where im at so far. The old motor is out and all the accesories hav been swaped to the new motor. Here is a pic of the work I did today. Im going to pressure wash it, Fill in some holes, fix the cancerous battery tray, and paint it. Should be able to get it done bu this weekend.

2007.jpg

• Like 1
I guess 200 hp should be reasonable. at 7lbs a stock l28et makes 220. that is 36.6hp. per slug. that puts you at 150hp. spin it to 14lbs and 200+ should be easy.

The L28et claims 180hp stock, and that's at the flywheel. They also run 7.5:1 compression and a really crappy fuel management. 8:1 compression and the better fuel system will help up the power output on the L20b turbo. :D good luck!

• Like 1

Progress has been slow going. I found my battery tray and support to be completely rusted so I replaced it all. Here are some up to date pics of what I got done today. Im hoping to get it into primer later this evening.

Enginebay001.jpg

Enginebay002.jpg

Enginebay003.jpg