Copper Gaskets

haubstr

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 11 months later...

10-20 psi would an MLS composite hold with an O ringed block. I'm hesitant with going for a copper because of people saying they leak.

But yah know how that goes when we share info from our brother's friend's uncle Jim's friend.

Can you guys chime in that have used the copper gaskets? Thanks much appreciated

Copper works pretty well if you don't have a rough machined block & head.

And the steel gaskets will leak if the surface is rough, and everyone uses those on performance cars these days without leakage.

But again, the surface is important.

I have a 60 lb. lapping plate that I smooth  my heads & blocks with.

Some of the prettiest machine jobs I've seen, look like crap after a few passes with the lapping plate. I shows how deep some cut marks are, and how wavy some surfaces are.

Here is my latest Toyota block, with a few passes of the lapping plate just after it came back from being surfaced.

You can see that some of the marks are quite a bit deeper than surrounding areas.

After a half a day lapping, these were all gone.

DeckSurface-1.jpg

Another thing I do, is spray a light coat of Copper Kote, than cure it in the oven at 250 degrees before installing the gasket.

• Like 2

It has probably already been mentioned in this thread, but those copper "gaskets" weren't really meant to be gaskets at all. They were designed as a gasket shim to lower compression. They aren't that thick at all. Probably only .015" or thereabouts, vs the stock gasket's roughly .050".

• Like 1

Ahh I'll go with O ring and copper gasket. I just don't want any coolant to leak. Wouldn't a composite gasket work well with an O ringed block?

The O ring is only around the cylinder not the water passages. If anything a copper gasket is more likely to leak coolant as the gasket does not crush to seal. Copper Kote spray should fix that.

The O ring is only around the cylinder not the water passages. If anything a copper gasket is more likely to leak coolant as the gasket does not crush to seal. Copper Kote spray should fix that.

didn't say that lol.  I'm hesitant to do a copper gasket because of the water passages. The guy with the 73 620-t never had any problems so I'll probably just follow through with copper and O ring

Ah, I see that now. Having a very flat smooth head and block will sure help. My 2.3 (if I ever get it done) has 1mm milled from the top of the block and some from the head so I know they are good. A 0.20" copper gasket is next. Compression shouldn't be over 10 so I'm skipping the O ring.

Cometic gaskets will make custom gaskets, many different matterials... mls, copper, fiber, etc.... all in varying thicknesses....

No listing for l series so they would be custom... not to sure how that works or what it costs....

I called them a few months back on an L4 application, and was told no...

Maybe I talked to the wrong person.

Maybe it's just on engines they already are set up for.

A phone call to these guys and send them a gasket.  I bet they'd make any thickness copper gasket you want.  I'm contemplating using them next year, with a thinner gasket to up my compression a bit.  This could be a decent solution for big overbores as well.  And they may also be able to supply custom stainless O-rings for your block?  

http://clarkcopperheadgaskets.com/cchg/modules/content/?id=1

• Like 1