Nissan 720 radio head unit

KrazzyKevin

Happy Holidays everybody! I'm lovin' the new look of the forums, very professional.

Anyway, getting to the point, Santa brought me a new head unit for my '86 720 so I can play CD's and such. However, I can't figure out how to remove the old (factory stock) radio unit. I really don't want to start pulling apart the entire dashboard, but I don't see any other way to get to it.

Is that the only way or is there some trick to it that I'm missing?

Thanks guys.

-Kevin

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I got it out. Turns out there are two screws underneath the radio. They're a pain in the butt to get to.

It also turns out that my new head unit doesn't fit. Yay.

Sorry i didn't see this thread earlier. No, it wont fit. It will stick out to far, the back hits the heater tube stuff. I can show you what i did with mine.

Found a nice factory center console out of a 4x4, took the gauges out and sold them to a member on here. Then took my dremel and a cutoff tool to cut it a tiny bit bigger to fit the stereo into it.

Before, this was 10 dollars at Sonic Electronix, cheesy and won't really fit anywhere in the cab of my 720.

IMG_0418.jpg

The console

IMG_0419.jpg

Cut

IMG_0420.jpg

installed

IMG_0423.jpg

I still need to get a tiny little peice of something or other to go across the bottom of the stereo to hold it up straight so it looks a little better.

***EDIT

By the way, to cover up that giant radio hole, there are things you can put in its place. I found my compartment at the junkyard in another 720. Theres a few different options. Just a compartment and also there's ones with doors on them.

Edited by h2theizzo
  • Like 1

Thanks for the tips. I called Car Toys to ask if they had head units of different sizes and the guy just told me to "Cut the dash to fit." He didn't seem to realize that I can't just dig the hole deeper into the dash..... Oh well.

I might have to make a trip to Pull and Save and see if I can get a 4X4 console for cheep...

EDIT: Unless anybody on here has one they'd be willing to part with, preferably tan/brown colour to match my interior....

Edited by KrazzyKevin
  • Like 1

Back when my dash was stock I cut out the upper and side pieces of the pocket in the dash to make the stereo fit. You need to leave the lower part of the dash since the ashtray bolts to the lower portion of the radio pocket. You will also need to trim the sides abit.

Edited by nis720
  • Like 1
Thanks for the tips. I called Car Toys to ask if they had head units of different sizes and the guy just told me to "Cut the dash to fit." He didn't seem to realize that I can't just dig the hole deeper into the dash..... Oh well.

I might have to make a trip to Pull and Save and see if I can get a 4X4 console for cheep...

EDIT: Unless anybody on here has one they'd be willing to part with, preferably tan/brown colour to match my interior....

I have a brown, blue and possibly a black console.

But shipping would be a bitch.

One just needs a 'shallow' CD player to fit the stock radio 'hole'.

Haven't mounted mine yet.....but it fits

P8050064.jpg

• Like 1

If you haven't purchased a radio yet, this could be an option. http://www.retrosoundusa.com/ Also, you guys are aware that the plastic trim bezel around your aftermarket radio will come off right? Removing that could help sink the radio a bit farther into the console, and make it look cleaner than the overhanging look it has now. Also, plumber's tape (metal strapping) can be used to fabricate brackets

• Like 1
Not much room left in my other truck to install some extra tunes.

Wanna keep the stock radio, guages and fog lamp switches.

Hmmmmmm:confused::)

Too bad you can't use the other half of the console that goes between the seats in a 4x4. You might be able to hide a radio there.

On a side note, I put a $50 Walmart radio in this time around, it didn't fit too bad. My "nice" one that I put in my Jeep seemed to fit better.

100_0426.jpg

• 5 years later...

Just a heads up the 2wd 720 shifter console is is longer than the 4x4 and the 4x4 does not have the box between the seats as a factory option.    There could be an exception to this when Nissan started using short trans in the 4x4.  This has been my experience anyway.  I will edit this with pictures of the 2 console lengths.

• Like 1