My island '74 710

datzenmike

Jason, Lou thanks for that, I was worried that the strut was changed somewhen after '74. Weather is supposed to clear up mid week so I'll try to remove the stock one and compare my Maxima strut to it.

Jason I'll try to get those 200sx axles this week. The part numbers (axle) don't match but the bracket should work.

Thanks again,

mike

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My '74 710

710parts009Large.jpg

mike its scary how much the 610 is similar to the 710 the firewalls look the same the windshild washer nozzles the wiper motor where the ac lines exit into the engine compartment even where all the relays bolt in its all identical

mike its scary how much the 610 is similar to the 710 the firewalls look the same the windshild washer nozzles the wiper motor where the ac lines exit into the engine compartment even where all the relays bolt in its all identical

Sisters. The 610 and 710 were made during a time when Nissan was in its heyday of making parts that cross over many models. Why make three different harnesses for three different cars? One was good enough to do all three. Heck, they use the same L-Series powerplant starting in 1975, and they were offset for '73 and '74 ('73 610 had the L18 and th '74 710 had the L18, but only those years for those models) Really, the only major difference between the 610 and the 710 is IRS in the 610 and Live Axle in the 710.

Sisters. The 610 and 710 were made during a time when Nissan was in its heyday of making parts that cross over many models. Why make three different harnesses for three different cars? One was good enough to do all three. Heck, they use the same L-Series powerplant starting in 1975, and they were offset for '73 and '74 ('73 610 had the L18 and th '74 710 had the L18, but only those years for those models) Really, the only major difference between the 610 and the 710 is IRS in the 610 and Live Axle in the 710.

So will the 610/710 take a later 280zx strut? Or does it need to. Will 280sx calipers bolt to the stock 610/710 strut????

As far as I know Mike, the 280ZX strut should work on the 710 also. However, I don't know what the camber/caster issues are going to be like.

Much like the 510 and 610, the 280ZX strut swap will work in the 710. Bear in mind that the same modification will be required: The spring perch from the 710 strut will have to be welded on to the 280zx strut or swap it all out for coilovers as the spring diameter is too large. It will rub the inside of the strut housing of the car.

Mike, my highest recommendation goes to using the full 280ZX strut assembly with coilovers. The coilver sleeves must have a 2 inch ID to fit. This allows you a three-fold upgrade: 1) modern brakes are a given. Vented Discs > Solid Discs any day. 2) modern strut cartridges. A lot of struts will fit the 280ZX strut tubes for improved ride. 3) coilovers can adjust for ride height and spring rates.

The spindles are a different size, no direct swap.

Just my $0.02

Went up to my '81 200sx 'parts bin' and it's still there! The berries are over the top of the car now so cut my way around with a machete. Got a 50-60 amp IR alternator and an EI coil for later. Also pulled the axles with the rear disc brake brackets on them.

710parts021Large.jpg

I'll likely cut them off in such a way that all four mounting bolts are saved. The bracket should then slip onto the 710 axle. Not saying that the 200sx rear discs will work or fit... I just have to find out. Wish I hadn't thrown the rotors away. The 200sx calipers have an E brake set up similar to the 710. It's a hand lever between the seats and a cable that pulls across the back length of the rear axle. The 710 E brake cable is just above the spring, below :

710projectbegin005Large-1.jpg

Here's a comparison of what it might look like if it does work:

710parts022Large.jpg

Before I do any cutting I will pull the 710 axle and see if the 200sx axle will fit. This would save a lot of bother.

Guest 510kamikazifreak

np mike.

Are you gonna have it on the road for 5-10 month? :cool:

Cruise?

Should hook up swith some locals sometime in May,This year the whole month of May can be 510 day :cool:

Rich?

np mike.

Are you gonna have it on the road for 5-10 month? :cool:

Cruise?

Should hook up swith some locals sometime in May,This year the whole month of May can be 510 day :cool:

Rich?

I'll just fix what needs fixing and do any preventive maintenance so it's reliable for Canby. Don't care what it looks like. Maybe lower it slightly and improve the brakes later in the summer.

Guest 510kamikazifreak

I'll just fix what needs fixing and do any preventive maintenance so it's reliable for Canby. Don't care what it looks like. Maybe lower it slightly and improve the brakes later in the summer.

:thumbup:

Run what yah brung mike.

Its the best for a road trip no real preperation makes for a fun drive :ninja:

Guest 510kamikazifreak

Well lou for the price I got them. That's two pair of coil overs and different spring rates front and back.

710parts026Large.jpg

:thumbup: Mike

The springs will interchange?

Whats the spring rate on them?

For the money why not eh.. :thumbup:

:thumbup: Mike

The springs will interchange?

Whats the spring rate on them?

For the money why not eh.. :thumbup:

Yup, all the same size. Two springs are marked 400P and the other two 500P. Whatever that means.

Thats some sexy parts right there

They DO look sexy.

http://nanaimo.en.cr...1546733384.html

Mike is this the one(wagon) that you know about,Or there is another one there!

One of my old ones(710) that way about 10-12 years ago

Green 2dr,had canadian anniversary emblems on the fenders :o

Sure wish I kept those :)

Sure sounds like it lou. But nope, the one I know of was a yellow Goon and only says 30K miles, or 130K. LOL

It was originally a California car. Beautiful shape too.

710stuff004LargeLarge.jpg

You wouldn't believe the interior!

710stuff001Large.jpg