My 79 King Cab Project

goes2fast

I just decided it was time to tell you guys what I've done so far and post a couple of pics of the truck before I do much more, so you know where it started. I bought the truck in Phoenix to get a rust free truck to start with. Unfortunetly It had a lot more dents than the pics showed, but what the hell, dents are a lot easier to fix than rust. So far I have installed HID head lights, but I need to move the battery back a little, as it interfears with the back of the HID bulbs as they are a little longer. This causes the bulbs to cock at an angle which messes up the focus and aim of the lights. Also I have changed the 79 grill over to a 76, which I like the looks of better. I have started on the interior, replacing the chevy door lock on the drivers door to a correct Datsun one. Next will be to clean the insides of the doors to ready them for insulation and sound deadener, and install my power lock actuators. While the weather was too cold to work either outside or in my unheated garage, I cleaned up the front half of the console, and installed all my electronics. I have my stereo, door lock switch, and relays, and alarm system all in one module. This should make it very easy to service if a problem comes up. I will post pics of this as soon as I get them taken. The one other thing I did befor taking pics was to paint the stock wheels satin black, as I couldn't tolerate the silver that someone thought was cool.

Well I couldn't figure out how to import photos from my computer to this message, so they will have to wait. I guess I will list the parts I have collected so far to get my truck on it's way to being my daily driver.

1 Carb kit for stock hitachi (to get past smog check and get collector plate)

2 Better Dash pad and glove box.

3 New door seals

4 unscratched door windows for both sides

5 unbroken sun visors

6 Toyota dome light, fits the KC spot, and looks more modern

7 multi LED bulb for dome light

8 bright LED dash bulbs

9 water temp. sender

10 KA24DE and 5 speed (for after everything else is done and sorted out)

11 HID headlight conversion

12 New hood bumpers

13 new glass run channels

14 non sun cooked steering collum and ignition switch cover

15 power door lock actuators, relays, and rocker switch

16 K9 alarm system

17 JVC stereo with HD receiver

18 amp for subwoofer

19 leather shift boot for console

20 new rubber wiper boots

21 leather shift knob with original red, white, and blue Datsun emblem

22 valve stem caps with Datsun emblem

23 custom polished aluminum cross flow radiator

24 electric fan for radiator

I'm sure there is more, but I can't remember right now.

More later, when I figure out how to post pics.:):cool:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I'm going to attempt to post the pics now

Fall20092.jpg

Big ouch on rt door!

Fall2009.jpg

Not toooo bad.

Fall200910.jpg

Changed the grill already, and installed HID headlights.

Fall20093.jpg

Lots of cleaning and work to be done here.

Fall20094.jpg

At least all the seats need is a good cleaning.

Fall20095.jpg

Hitachi rebuilt and going back on.

Fall20096.jpg

Freeway Blaster Horns and HID ballasts mounted.

Fall200911.jpg

Front half of console ready to go back in.

Fall200912.jpg

Alarm, and power door locks mounted under console.

Fall200913.jpg

Closeup of Stereo and Door Lock Switch.

Fall200914.jpg

Daylight shining through fiberglass where AZ sun cooked plastic til it turned to dust.:(

Fall200915.jpg

The other fiberglass repair on the back half of console.

Fall200916.jpg

Fiberglass repair ready for a little bondo, and a lot of sanding.

That's it for now, have to finish putting the Hitachi back together, and straighten out the wiring at the rear. Then it will be drivable to go get smogged, then plates so I can drive it while working on the rest.:cool:

• Like 1

Man another guy that don't waste no time, looking good man . By chance did you find the truck on craigslist in Phoenix AZ ? It seems lie I saw that truck on cl . The one I am talking about had some butt ugly hubcaps on it, but they could have been taken off :lol:

Edited by slam_dat_sun
added to post

Yes I have the horn button, have to repair the steering wheel before I put it back on. Also yes to phoenix and the ugly caps, want to buy them cheap? Today I re wired all the rear lights, cut down the front bump stops and screwed the torsion bars back to get the front dropped. I lubed everything up front while I was at it. I also adjusted the steering box to take the play out, now I have no slop in the steering, should drive a lot better. The last thing I did until it got too dark and cold was put most of the crap I had to take off to get the carb off back on. I misplaced one of the hoses, so I will start tomorrow off hunting for the hose, then if all goes well, I'll fire it up, adjust the carb and get it smoged, then a trip to the alignment shop. Then the body and interior begins.:blink::cool:

Man I wish that I knew that you was willing to make the trip, There was a 98% mint condition kc 1979 620 it was white with working a/c, garaged all its life for $1250 obo . I would have bought it but I didn't have the money, The blue one you bought, wasn't it advertised for $900, how much did you pick it up for ?

I wish I would have known about the white one too, I hate body work, but at least I don't have to fix rust, and the drive train is in great shape, the only thing it needed was the carb rebuilt. Once I get it smoged, and the collector plates, I can toss all that junk and put a webber on it til I'm ready to put the KADE in it. I paid $750 for it. The last one that was for sale around here that wasn't a rust bucket, but had no brakes, and had been sitting not running for a couple of years went for $1500, so I didn't think I would be able to do much better on my budget.

• Like 1

I found some 1/2 in. hose that didn't kink when bent around to the valve at the back if the intake, and fired it up with the freshly kitted Hitachi. My luck with Hitachi carbs hasn't changed, it still runs like crap. Time to step up to a webber, I wish it wasn't Christmas so I had some money to spare. Maybe there is a Hitachi expert here in CO that can help me? I'm dreaming again:lol::lol: I guess I'll just have to wait till after the hollidays, and start over.:(:P

• Like 1

Yesterday I said to hell with it, and took the weber off my 76 and put it on the 79, I'll just have to find a used weber conversion for the 76, so I can sell it. The KC runs great now, so hopefully next week I can get it smoged and plates on it. I also got my new tail lights with JDM lenses and installed them, now all lights are working and about 1/3 of them are converted to LEDs. Now the only parts that I need that are high on the priority list is the weber kit, and a radio delete plate. I almost forgot, I scored a set of hooker headers, new in the original box, so the exhaust will get up dated soon.

• Like 1

I like the amber turn lenses because on a lowered 620 they are so low that people tend to not see them. The Amber with real bright LED bulbs seem to get peoples attention better, plus you don't see many, and I like being different, as if being a grey beard driving a mini truck isn't different enough!:lol::lol::lol::cool:

I had a set back and made some progress since my last post. Took my KC to get the smog test, tailpipe emissions were well below limits, but failed because no air pump. Went on a boneyard crawl, and found a KC that was mostly intact. I scored the whole air pump system except one hose was shot. also got sear rails I need, air conditioning vents and ducts, the rear section of the console, and the elusive passenger door I have been looking for. Now if I can find a dash face and that air pump hose, I'll be in great shape, and on the way to at least have a drveable truck while I work on the rest of it.