mklotz70 belt sander build

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave and Steve came over last weekend for both, friday and saturday.  We got all the parts finished up......finally!!!  Steve took everything back to his place. He'll be doing all the final assembly and sales. 

• 2 years later...

Got some more progress made. Never as much as I want or expect, but still...it's progress smile.gif

My buddy A100addict was over. While I was showing how the motor will spin up to full speed...in reverse.....the flywheel came off!!! Luckily, it nestled itself into the frame piece.....cause it was spinning at around 7000rpm!! It took nearly 10 sec to come to a stop! I was backing up into Dave and he didn't have anywhere to go.......it was rather comical.......after it came to a stop! smile.gif

100_1536.jpg

100_1538.jpg

We played around with some with an idea to put the motor up on top...so it could be a bench model like the other versions. Looks like it can be done and then mounted to a HF grinder stand.

100_1542.jpg

100_1543.jpg

Got the flywheel cut off.

100_1546.jpg

100_1547.jpg

100_1548.jpg

Got the bearings into one of the pulleys. One of the idlers like this will keep it's crown, the other one got flattened since it will be a platen roller......meaning I'll be grinding directly against it so I don't want any curve. The shaft I got was larger than 5/8".....what a royal pain!! Had to tweak the tailstock to get it to cut the same diameter from end to end. I cut half of the drive shaft...then when I turned it around...I had to tweak the tailstock again...no clue why, but what a pain!! I do believe I'll simply by 5/8" shaft next time!!!

100_1550.jpg

100_1551.jpg

100_1554.jpg

100_1557.jpg

I thought I was going to be able to use one of the pulleys as the hub for the secondary drive pulley....didn't work out. So...as I should have done to start with, I made one from scratch. I made it press fit and actually knurled the mounting surface to give it even more grip. It spins pretty darn true. More pics of how it was made are in the machine work thread smile.gif

100_1544.jpg

100_1570.jpg

100_1571.jpg

Hello, I am doing a project with the same magnet DC motor from treadmill you have in the photo.

I am trying to find a right v-belt ( it looks like that's 6-rib micro V-belt that you are using) that snugly fits around its 10-grooved sheave like the one in the photo.

what are the critical dimensions for that V-belt or better yet can you tell me where you got it ?

Also, if possible, do you still have CAD file for that black plastic sheave that you are trying to connect to the other side of V-belt?

Thank you very much for your help!

Willk

Hello, I am doing a project with the same magnet DC motor from treadmill you have in the photo.

I am trying to find a right v-belt ( it looks like that's 6-rib micro V-belt that you are using) that snugly fits around its 10-grooved sheave like the one in the photo.

what are the critical dimensions for that V-belt or better yet can you tell me where you got it ?

Also, if possible, do you still have CAD file for that black plastic sheave that you are trying to connect to the other side of V-belt?

Thank you very much for your help!

Willk

Sorry, I don't have any info/CAD on any of those parts.  The belt and pulleys came with the tread mill.  

You guys have some fine machinery! My disc sander is one my father made at least 40 years ago. It still runs on the same washing machine motor he scavenged. I've been using this since I was a fairly young boy for plastics, wood, and aluminum (even steel now and then). The top deck unscrews to allow easy removal of the wheel to replace the abrasive disc.  

While it may appear somewhat rickety with the plumbers strapping, it's been a solid performer through a lot of heavy use - especially when I used to use it at a shop where I worked where we did a lot of wood and plastic fabrication work. 

These are rear disc brake adapters I made from right-angle aluminum. 

20160910_191410_zpsic5f64yc.jpg

• Like 2

You got it... 1/2" think angle. 

I actually fabricating things in somewhat primitive ways. Also as a hobby, I built a number of high-end type bicycle frames doing all my miters by hand with a file.  

20160701_180658_zpscs3pasle.jpg

It's not very often do you actually see a rear disc brake setup on a 620 with a truly functional parking brake. 

20170110_193641_zpsslhgemj4.jpg

• Like 3

I've got a couple of friends that have done the bike building by hand coping the tubes.  At one point, I was going to design a belt grinder that specifically did that.

Good job! Getting the e-brake to work is pretty rare.  I have yet to see a setup that will fit behind a stock 14" steel rim.