FuelTank remove and install

fisch

Just dropped the fueltank on my 521. (Hoping mt radiator guy can save it!) Lots of loose rust rattling around in there.

The filler hose made it a total pain to remove, so I am already having nightmares about the reinstall. Any tips y'all have would be appreciated.

Do you put the filler hose on the tank first, then install? I don't know what would be harder. Putting the hose on the tank when it is already in position, or putting the hose on first and trying to muscle it in position. There's that brakeline right there just waiting to be messed up!

Haynes and the shop manual weren't alot of help.They didn't even write about some of the weirder hoses, like the little 3" one on top of the tank toward the cab.(that should be a fun one to replace.) And the metal tube for that one is already cracked open, Don't know what repair guy can do about that.

On the plus side the outside of the tank looks pretty good. a few rusty spots, but nothing crumbling. Prolly some pin holes I can't see though. The P.O. claimed it wouldn't hold gas.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well i did this afew months ago and had fun with it... first... lets all stop for a second and bask in the forethought of the datsun engineers in including the lil access panel in the bed. my dad's silverado's fuel sending unit crapped out... had to either drop the tank or pull the bed, it was easier to pull the bed than drop the tank... grr. second, did you notice the three lil screws next to the filler hole? that made it easier if i remember correctly, it's still fun to wrestle it around a lil bit, but that at least helps with the big hose.

well i did this afew months ago and had fun with it... first... lets all stop for a second and bask in the forethought of the datsun engineers in including the lil access panel in the bed. my dad's silverado's fuel sending unit crapped out... had to either drop the tank or pull the bed, it was easier to pull the bed than drop the tank... grr. second, did you notice the three lil screws next to the filler hole? that made it easier if i remember correctly, it's still fun to wrestle it around a lil bit, but that at least helps with the big hose.

I wondered about that, but saw no mention of those screws in the manuals, so wasn't sure. Also that filler neck piece has 3 hoses going into it. The main filler. The braided one coming off the top of the tank (that one crumbled in my hand.) And the little on way up high and hard to reach that comes from that weird contraption under the fender cover in the bed.

That last one looked very hard to access so I let it be.

Do you guys put your hoses in hot water to give them more flex? I hear a little dish soap it the way to go to get new ones back on.

Ive dropped my 320,521 & 620 tanks all for the same reason. Have them cleaned out de-greased & repainted. Remove the small 3 screws @ the filler neck, undo the hose clamps that hold all of the hoses on, then slide the filler neck up & out of the way, unbolt tank & drop it down. On my 620 there were two small hoses & a larger one. The small ones were return lines & ran up to the engine, i ran all new fuel line & eliminated them & capped them @ the tank. The larger is a overflow & i left that hooked up. Dont think the L 16's ran return lines & it's been awhile since i had mine out. Take a pic if you need to, also just replace the rubber hoses & dont try & save them. You can run a 1/4 inch rubber fuel line from the tank to the engine, super cheap & it's NEW ! For the re-install id attach the filler neck 1st then raise it back up to where it goes.

On my 620 there were two small hoses & a larger one. The small ones were return lines & ran up to the engine,

Thanks Pac! This tank has 4 hoses total. The fat filler tube. A braided one that comes back up to the filler neck. A short 3-4 in. one that connects to a hardline which goes up to the aparatus under the wheel well cover in the bed. Must be a vapor collector or something? (do people bypass that thing?) And the line to the tank.

Ok i did bypass/remove that wierd canister part in the wheel well. Didnt think it was a needed part & it wasnt. Heres what it looked like...

xtraparts.jpg

Good to know cause the hook up pipe for it on the tank is crumbling. It is the worst part of the tank!