kicking out the gremlins

datsunfish

I got my 4 door home today.Spent the afternoon working on it and got it road worthy.It ran great and shifted nice about 98% of the way.After I got off of the highway and came to a stop she did not want to go again.It felt like it was not in 1st.It is an auto tranny.I tugged it home slowly and started working on it.It was running kinda rough so I did all the usual tune up checks.The plugs were completely black and sooty so I figured a good tune up.New msd blaster,matchbox,ngk's...Runs and idles nice but when shifted into gear it seems to bog down alot.So considering this I will now assume there is some kind of idle increase when shifted into gear that is not working.Anybody know about auto's?

Other than that theory I would assume a lack of compression.Idles but wont take any sort of a load.I had this with cracked heads on my vw.Whatever the case I have other motors,heads and trannys but I really like the auto tranny and it would be cool if I didnt have to change them.Also it doesnt smoke.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Glad to hear you got to take it for a test drive :D Did you get the stock carb working? I had a 1200 auto, I don't remember it having an sort of idle control. Maybe from sitting the tranny is gummed up. Can you manually shift it?

Buckley to Port Orchard.Quite a test drive.I slapped on the weber 32/34 dgv from my 521.Might be too much fuel for the tiny 210 head and stock intake.The 521 has ported head,intake and mild cam grind.

Its just that it seems to bog down pretty hard when in drive and not moving.Making for a VERY slow takeoff.Only like that since I got off the highway.This is where I would think there is an idle kick up issue.Thinking maybe that box at the linkage junction with the wires going to it.I shall investigate further tomorrow.

The coolest thing is that my wife told me that she really likes my new car.She hasnt even been in either truck in almost 2 years.

The auto with dual points had a speed sensor inline in the speedo cable. It sensed vehicle speed and told the distributor (and carb) what set of points to use... the advanced or the retarded. Is yours stock with dual points???

Automatic vehicles tend to bog more at low speed take offs when ported and with extra cam which moves the power and torque up in the RPM range.

Thanks again Thomas.I definitely have alot of work in store but am in no way going to slack off.Its still slow as hell taking off but goes great down the road.If I have to I will throw in my L18 with w53.Here are some pictures of her resting safely in her new home.

2007_1023Image0012.jpg

2007_1023Image0011.jpg

2007_1023Image0010.jpg

2007_1023Image0009.jpg

2007_1023Image0008.jpg

I have been working my ass off trying to figure this thing out.After a bit of tinkering she wont run hardly at all.The plugs keep fouling out.I have tried 3 carbs now.2 webers and I rebuilt the stocker with a kit.My current theory is bad gas.I have a new coil,cap,rotor and plugs plus a matchbox.Still waiting on the wires but I get good spark through the ones I have.Clean the plugs and it tries to fire off until they foul up.Check spark at the plug gap and nada until I clean em again.I have fuel and spark and all is timed good.I checked the valves and cam timing and they seem good.

Basically it ran decent until I got off the highway after a good 60 miles the first day.Pulling through town sucked.I took it to work the next day and it acted the same.I got it home and tinkered a bit and it wont run.The gas smells funny.I put a couple gallons of super in it the first day but I think the driving may have stirred up some rotten gas and water to make things extremely intermittent.I had to replace the tank fill vent hose as it was cracked and leaking.It sat for 2 years before I got it and who knows how long before Thomas since he never had it going.There were 2 spare coils and a couple dizzies so I figure nobody could figure it out but the Datsun Gods were smiling on me the day I got it home.

Anyone ever have this kind of issue.As with all Dattos I bring home it takes a bit to kick out the gremlins.:blink:

I got my '72 from a farmer. It had been sitting out behind his barn for 5 or 6 years. It had symptoms pretty much like yours. I don't know how many times I'd shift into Drive and have it bog down and die. I wondered if it was something wrong with the auto trans. I finally traced it to evaporated gas gumming up the fuel line from the tank (hard line). I undid the rubber lines at both ends of the hard line, sprayed carb cleaner in, then blew through with compressed air. I did this several times, till the dark brown crap was cleaned out of the line. Then I sucked all the old gas out of the tank, and put in fresh gas.

When I finally got good gas to the carb, and the engine was running right, the tranny worked fine. I suspect your tranny is okay. At least I wouldn't worry about it until the engine is running well.

There were 2 spare coils and a couple dizzies so I figure nobody could figure it out but the Datsun Gods were smiling on me the day I got it home.

Anyone ever have this kind of issue.As with all Dattos I bring home it takes a bit to kick out the gremlins.:blink:

I had it running when Tom first bought it, The carb was in bad shape though aka needed new one. The original dizzy didn't work, for some reason it would not ground correctly. I think that is the reason the car ended up sitting. I think just for peace of mind you should take all the grounds off and clean them really good. It may explain why there is a headlight problem. Don't forget to make sure there is a good body to engine ground.

Getting all the shitty gas out doesn't sound like a bad idea, you could save it and once you get it running good mix a little in with every fill up :D

I took my gas tank out a couple years ago, and cleaned it out with marbles. It got all the rust out, the gas was black after shaking the marbles around. I changed the fuel filter a couple times and it ran good.

And Icehouse is right, check ALL your grounds. A good carb and dist. and you will be ready to kick out some more gremlins:lol:

I think it is a bit of everything.I have been replacing alot of wire ends and cleaning up all the electrical.Turns out these ngk irridium plugs are real finicky about sparking when wet.The NDs do much better.I rebuilt the stock carb.It is pretty clean inside but the primary butterfly is a bit worn making it idle very rough but revs great.I think something is clogged up in my weber.It ran awesome before it went on the 510 now it idles and revs like shit.I will have to soak it and rebuild it again.I think a quality stocker would be good enough til I replace the L16 and or the 210 head.Anyone got one?

I love the headlight setup the PO had!Direct to the battery with alligator clips.

It seems like all the wire ends are all corroded.Intermittent signals everywhere.I need to pull all the switches out and check all the relays.Basically clean every electrical connection everywhere.I also really need a nice carb to setup from.I compression checked it today and it showed 95 to 105.Thats the law right?Within 10 of each other?

Stock L and Z series should be about 170 PSI (new)

Lowest reading must be at least 80% of highest. So you could go as low as 84.

These readings are a little low IYAM. As long as they are close it will run smooth but will lack power. Part of the reason for poor take offs maybe. A low reading does not indicate that it is an oil burner, just very worn. 120 would be better and 150 good.

Try a couple of squirts of oil in each cylinder. If the comp stays about the same, maybe the valves aren't sealing or are worn too.

Whatever crap is in the tank it screwed up my weber.I put it back on my 521 and it wont idle but revs ok.The stock carb runs worse by the minute.I took it around the block earlier and it ran like shit but went ok.Now it wont hardly move at all.Took like 5 minutes to get it around the corner of my block.I am going to get a new carb for now and set up my L18 and w53 to hopefully go in next weekend.

have you def figured out it's the gas tank? when i was trying to figure this out i grabbed a gas can and used some fuel line and ran off that instead of the tank. that will at least tell you if it's just an issue with clean gas or if you do need more work on the carb and whatnot.

Why not try an alternative gas tank? like a 1 liter bottle in the engine bay, Safety first of coarse :D I think the compression is low due to the carb problems, I'm 100% sure you washed out the rings from trying to keep it running with a bad carb. Once you get it dialed it will go back up :D

I went ahead and pulled the 210 head today and threw on the w53.I cleaned out the stock carb and tried it again.No deal.I drove my 521 earlier with another weber that ran good so I threw it on the 510 and it sucked.I always check for vacuum leaks at the carb base but went ahead and checked the int.exh. gasket and found the culprit.I have reused these over again before and all was fine but it seems the last time this one was installed it was seriously over torqued or reused.I know,I should have had a new one.The more I torqued the bolts the better it ran.I will change it tomorrow and should be on the road.