Jeep bolts

This is not Datsun related but Jeep related.

Im think MKlotz hear or anybody with better tools than me.

I sheared the bolt for my motor mount on my straight 6. passenger side.

I cant see really how to get the bolts out of the block since they are flush and there is not room to get at it hardly at all

I guess going on the Jeep forum is to upgrade to grade 8 bolts or the motormount upgrade kit with grade 8 bolts .

http://www.browndogindustries.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=26

I like this Jeep but if it cost to much IM thinking the Dump!!!!

I paid $3K for it got 1.5 yrs out of it no proplem but now this.

I was driving kinda fast ove rthe potholes but didnt think anything would break since I drove my lowered 510 over bumps like this before!!!!!!!It didnt break!!!!!!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Drill and an easy-out is the best way.

There's quite a few different companies offering stronger mounts out there...

http://www.jeepforum.com/reviews/showcat.php?cat=58

One of the newer mount's picks up some of the previously unused bolt holes on the side of the block for obvious reasons. Can't remember who offers them though... but you could probably skip over the broken bolt (ghetto) with them.

$200 seems like a cheap enough fix...but if you want, you can 'dump' it off at my place and I'll beat it proper like :fu:

all 3 bolt sheared off.

the motor dropped a inch or more moving th trans to the passenger side.

I know to drill and EZ out

But how you get your hands up in there??? Thats the real question.? remove the AC and everything on the pass side?

the new mount are 200$ with grade eight bolts. But the old mount did not bust. only the bolts. So why spend 200 on a whole kit when the bolts are the proplem or do these thing really break mounts alot and I should get the whole mount. Redeye i know your the Jeep guy!!!!!!!!But this isnt no CJ23457 but a cheap XJ

Yeah, supposedly the XJ mounts are known for breaking. All three bolt's? Nice work. :D

I know you just use your rig for hunting, not any hardcore wheeling, so you might get away with just replacing the bolts.

Can you jack the motor up enough to clear a drill?

If not, unfortunatley, you'll probably have to take everything off that side to get to them. I saw some reverse drill bits somewhere online that might make the job somewhat easier, but your still stuck trying to get a drill in there...

So much work for 3 bolt's....glad I have a V8 instead of the 6 :D

A guy is comming over to look at it and see if he can do it.

Some how I have no motivation to work on newer vehicles. if a Willys maybe but this one is out of my league. if he doesnt charge to much I might get the 200$ upgraded mounts anyway.

But I was barreling down the road and it had alot of potholes. Figure flying over the bumbs was better than going slow over every one.

I do like this rig but I have no proplems selling it for 1k for parks

023_20A_thumb.jpg

Get a extension for your drill bit. Take the tire off drill through the inner fender then into the busted off bolts :)

You should have bought a 620 4x4 dumb ass!! Upgrade it to a weber DONE!!! First the brakes and now this..... What next? My guess is the tranny haha

You could take everything off the right side, lift the motor a little and use a 90 degree drill motor. Ya ya , so you don't have one. Borrow one. Also, the left hand drill bits would be a great way to start out. You may get lucky and they come right out.

Jester

Guest DatsuNoob

I sheared the bolt for my motor mount on my straight 6. passenger side.

I cant see really how to get the bolts out of the block since they are flush and there is not room to get at it hardly at all

What was it you said to me a while back when I told you I sheared off an intake bolt on the Datsun? "How the fuck did you do that?" Or something like that I believe it was. Sorry bro, but Jeep stands for Just empty every pocket, that's why I got rid of my Wagoneer. Fun rig though, you should think about putting some $ toward the V8. I had the 360, tons of torque for wheelin'. Old school solid, never broke anything but a transfer case.

Get a little 90 degree drill like this one:

drill.jpg

$140 new, but call around to pawn shops - mine was $40. Or a pneumatic drill if you have air - they're often small enough to get into tight spaces. Get a left hand drill (or two, if you think you might break one and don't want to have to go back to the hardware store!) - if you're lucky, it'll take the screws out by itself. They weren't broken by being overtorqued, unless they're just too soft; they probably worked themselves loose and the vibration sheared them (that's what happened to my alternator mount). If the drill doesn't get them out, use an extractor (the kind that goes in a drill, and has a sharp edge for grabbing the bolt). Here's a good one I've had luck with in the past:

http://www.4grabit.com/Default.asp?bhcp=1

Avoid the kind that go in a tap handle; they're almost useless.

Andrew