butterfly effect

hang_510

read this first - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butterfly_effect

its not about the movie either - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0289879/ (its good)

the CHAOS ensues :cursing:

FRIDAY: i do a coolant flush since i was having trouble with temperatue not registering, included a new sensor too. would only get to 145*F

already had a new 3-core installed(too efficient???). well i guess it cleaned out the crap that was left sealing the gasket to the head/block, since i noticied it bubbling through the radiator at idle and losing coolant.

no biggie, i can do this on sat. :mellow:

it sat for 10 years and i got almost 800 mi on it afterwards, i knew something wouldnt last. :sleep:

SAT: pull everything off for the HG change (ie not the timing cover). i spent more time making the 'custom' IN/EX gaskets than i did pulling everything off.

cleaned the surfaces and check straightness, looks good.

torque the head back down :thumbup:

...a butterfly flaps its wings...as i have the timing gear in my hand and the chock pulled (from the chain) so i can slip it back on the cam... i sneeze, this isnt a little sneeze, it was the kind that shakes your body, well you guessed it, the chain got slop in it and the tensioner slipped out :eek: :glare: :poop: :fu: :cursing: :fu: :cursing:

so to make a long job take forever, i had to pull the cover, which requires the oil pump to be removed to get to the last bolt, and then it was even more fun getiing the crank bolt off.

then it got dark, to dark to start the reassembly. well that and i didnt buy the cover gaskets, which i wasnt doing! :rolleyes:

im saving that(and any pix) for next saturday.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear it. those tensioners suck. the way I see it, you should ALWAYS be prepared to pull the timing cover off

I know a girl that ran her taurus off the road and into a telephone pole, the story was she had a fit of sneezing, I don't know if this is true, or if it's a "Drunken Deer" type deal, but either way a shitty deal.

That sucks Brian, I just had the head off of the L20b in the wagon. Oil was GUSHING out from between the head and the top of the timing cover. OK, change the inspection port seal too since that looked suspect. Put it all back together and now I find that the timing cover has a leak too :eek:! Oh well, at least the biggest oil leak is now stopped! I'll have to tear the engine down sometime and fix that too now and swap the head.........

Too bad Brian! I still have the block I made for use on my 521 back in the mid '70s. I have had it longer, and have more use for it, than my first wife!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:fu:

It's a 1/2" thick wedge, tapering from 1 3/4" down to 1 1/4" and 6" long. Dented and covered in oil, I used it this spring. Hadn't been used in over 20 years, but I kept it, but not the wife:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D.

I got the dimensions from an old late '60s?Datto manual for 510/521s. Still have it, no cover front or back, starts at page 24 and is in three pieces, covered in oil and the edges of the pages are fuzzy from thumbn' through it. I don't have a pix but it's 6 1/2 inches long by 1/2 inch thick piece of wood. One end is 1 3/4 inches wide and it narrows down to 1 1/4 inches wide at the bottom. Imagine a narrow piece of pie with the pointy end cut off, sort of. I have to take some pix this week end and will try to include it.

I got the dimensions from an old late '60s?Datto manual for 510/521s. Still have it, no cover front or back, starts at page 24 and is in three pieces, covered in oil and the edges of the pages are fuzzy from thumbn' through it. I don't have a pix but it's 6 1/2 inches long by 1/2 inch thick piece of wood. One end is 1 3/4 inches wide and it narrows down to 1 1/4 inches wide at the bottom. Imagine a narrow piece of pie with the pointy end cut off, sort of. I have to take some pix this week end and will try to include it.

I'd love to see a pic of how to use it!

in my chilton's manual, it describes how to make this block, i'll scan and post that pic...but i didnt have much success with their description, so i'll also post pics of my own device, so you guys can pick your poision. at $90 that enclosed tensioner would be worth it after you have made this mistake twice (ive done it 3 times...LOL)

That would make a good project! I've got lots of used ones to look at and work on. Does anyone have one of the 'fail safe' tensioners they could take a picture of???? Maybe drill a hole and put a sheet metal screw in and viola.:D

A worthwhile winter project.

I don't think it's THAT easy. The tensioner is oil-pressure fed and is supposed to move. It's like a little piston. The spring is for initial, non-running tension.

The movement is for chain stretch and expansion when it heats up. Otherwise the tension would change with wear and temperature- if it were solid, locked in place it would go slack when heated up because it would be under heavy tension all the time, and wouldn't rebound when it cooled (making it stretch faster)

The non-fall out types have a stop inside the "cylinder" to retain the piston, while still allowing it to move.

since i try to look on the bright side when doing extra shit i didnt plan for...

water pump was missing 1 vane, just rusted off into oblivion :eek:

timing cover had cracks in it. i thought most of the oil on the front was from a poor seal between the Z block and L head, nope-not this time.

lucklily i had grabbed a cover at the datsloco swapmeet, for "justin case'

'she' wanted me to fix these items once, not again in another month :mellow:

hurray for the butterfly!

If you put the block in with the upper chain gear on the cam, why not reinstall that gear with the block still in? That's what I did. So even if a swarm of butterflys came by and I had a fit of sneezing I wouldn't crash my car or drop the timing chain. :blink:

fo' sho