My new 620

bluemeanie

Well I've got a new toy to wrench on!

1975 620

Picked it up from a buddy after some engine modifications. Sooooo the first step is yanking the modified engine out.

P1020654.jpg

Found a couple interesting things with this older engine. Heavily modified pistons and valves.

P1020653.jpg

P1020655.jpg

The claimed increas in hp didnt work like expected with this valve job!

P1020656.jpg

Second step is going through the newer L20 engine I picked up from Kiznook

Thanks again!

BUT she will live again!

I'll keep you posted

Thanks

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well I've got a new toy to wrench on!

1975 620

Picked it up from a buddy after some engine modifications. Sooooo the first step is yanking the modified engine out.

P1020654.jpg

Found a couple interesting things with this older engine. Heavily modified pistons and valves.

P1020653.jpg

P1020655.jpg

The claimed increas in hp didnt work like expected with this valve job!

P1020656.jpg

Second step is going through the newer L20 engine I picked up from Kiznook

Thanks again!

BUT she will live again!

I'll keep you posted

Thanks

Wow.. that looks just like mine did when I got it.. KEEP THE HOOKS!!!!

I delivered a spare L20 to mr. meanie last night, I suppose he could just throw the head on there, the pistons are pretty well hammered, but don't appear to be cracked or anything. It's up to you Chris! we could probably have it running on tuesday if you go the head route, but you'll run the risk of still needing to swap the other block in later.

And get those seats and dash bolted in! :lol:

One thing at a time. I'm going to freshen up that engine you gave me. Throw on a fresh head gasket, pull the oil pan, check the bearings and put it in.

It might run the way it is with the other head, but i'm in no hurry. And the price for the parts to freshen that engine you gave me up and have a little peice of mind running down the road is worth it to me. This little truck has had a hard life the last 6-7 months, i'm hoping to turn that around :)

I'm thinking i'm going to go back to a bench or some datsun buckets. Not sure i like those seats.

I got the intake and exhaust pulled on the engine you gave me last night. I'll get that thermostat housing pulled for you tonight. Other then that tonight is drain the oil and get ready to pull the block out.

Got the head pulled off the new L20 tonight and found some goldfish........

Only one cyl full of water so not bad :)

The bores look pretty clean with slight traces of hone marks still, so i think she's gonna be a keeper. I'm still gonna flip it and check the bearings.

I'll get pics soon.

"so this ran when you pulled it?"

"yea, ran good too"

"so you haven't done anything to it since it last ran, except take it out of your vehicle?"

"yea, that's just how it looked when i pulled it"

"so you just pulled it and it's been sitting right there since then?"

"... oh... well... uhh... yea... well, no... yea... well i did use it as a boat anchor in the ocean for a few months... and one winter i sat it in the bottom of the fire place for some reason... ... but it ran great when i pulled it"

HAHA... sorry... just how my brain works...

the the center head bolt hole where the 2 water passages are next to it,

alot of old L20 start a crack on where the bolt goes in to the sides of the water holes.

just to let you know

alwasy ge ta new tension ,even on a just a head gasket change. freshin them up much as you can

Be honest I have sent 3 blocks to the machinist and never had a bad crank.

just order stock size bearings

but alwasy gap the ring!!!!!!!!!!!!! you or the machine shop(I know they do this)

Ryan a other datsun owner did his himself but never gap the rings and the top of the piston ring lands broke off. Expansion

Javin...the answer to that question is NO....that sucker has been sitting since 1987...she did tell me that they were trying to get it to turn over in 2005, but had no luck..(wonder why?)...anyway that motor is locked up pretty good....I have it sitting out next to the house covered up...and since that is the "matching number" engine from this 620, I am gonna attempt to get it cleaned up and yes rebuilt someday..in the meantime there is a fresh L20b sittin in the engine bay and this truck will be at JCCS next year (along with Ol Yeller)..if you guys remember that little Japanese lady that visited us at JCCS this year, she is the original owner of that truck.........Ron (marvels mystery oil and some other fluids of oil base are indeed sitting in the cylinders as we speak..hopefully (maybe) workin there way down past the rings,,,,we shall see

Quote from Hainz......

but alwasy gap the ring!!!!!!!!!!!!! you or the machine shop(I know they do this)

Ryan a other datsun owner did his himself but never gap the rings and the top of the piston ring lands broke off. Expansion

Heres that very piston being held by Ryan...Bleach looks amused :D

5-3KevinRyan.jpg

Good luck on the 620 meanie...easy to repair & fun to drive !