621 Carpet in a 521

fisch

Anyone know if carpet from a 620 will fit in a 521? Is there much difference in the overall width and tranny tunnel between the two vehicles? (Excluding KC's.)

IF the 620 is wider, I bet the carpet could be trimmed to fit. Just wouldn't want any saggy baggy wrinkles!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I'm missing the obvious, but why not just make your own carpet? Find some black closed-loop carpet and cut it to fit?

The Datsun rug I saw has a rubber mat with 'datsun' written on it, sewn into the actual carpet.:)

Plus I wasn't sure it they pre-formed the carpet to the tunnel? I've never installed one before, not sure how it works.

i did preformed carpet in my civic years ago... even tho it was preformed still had to massage it in place... helps to do it on a really warm day, and with florida bein so humid i layed it in the sun and it was like i had steamed the whole thing... i only had one spot that didn't want to lay flat and i eventually got it to stay put. it's super easy, if i can do it, anybody can.

I used a 720 carpet. Has a thick vinyl 'wear' pad below the pedals for your heels and another smaller one on the trans tunnel beside the gas pedal. Already shaped but wider so you trim it yourself. Very thick (1") under-pad/ sound deadener so you may have to trim it under the clutch pedal, or you may not be able to disengage the clutch. Same with the gas.

I put house carpeting in my old 510 and could not get it to look nice. Had some folds in it.

some of us dont have the talent to cut and shape these things. i bought a jc whitney rug for my 521 years ago and ended up giving it away cause it fit like shit. i've been lucky enough to find a couple 521 rugs (none for sale). i might not cost too much to have an upolstry shop make one look nice. it's not like there is a lot of floor there! i need one for my 620. nos one on ebay right now, i wonder how much it will bring in. a nos 521 rug would be nice. did 521's even come with rugs or just mats?

nos one on ebay right now, i wonder how much it will bring in. a nos 521 rug would be nice.

That's why I started the thread. I am sure it will go for more than have in my pocket. At least till I finish the bigger issues of my 521. I have to keep reminding myself that cosmetics should come last!

some of us dont have the talent to cut and shape these things. i bought a jc whitney rug for my 521 years ago and ended up giving it away cause it fit like shit. i've been lucky enough to find a couple 521 rugs (none for sale). i might not cost too much to have an upolstry shop make one look nice. it's not like there is a lot of floor there! i need one for my 620. nos one on ebay right now, i wonder how much it will bring in. a nos 521 rug would be nice. did 521's even come with rugs or just mats?

The 720 is already 'shaped' for fit over the hump. It just needs to be trimmed for width at the doors and up under the dash. The Xtra Cab has a huge piece that will cover the back of the KC 620 behind the seats too.

If you're not restoring it to original, I would just do what Pacific did... sounds like the easiest thing to do, and then you can choose the colour/thickness/texture/etc to suit whatever you're doing with the interior... hell, you could put shag in it if you really wanted to (even though that was already brought up in another thread)...