LED Gauge Cluster

Madness

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can get them through Super Bright LEDs. They were pretty cheap; I just bought 10 of them.

i need to buy some cause i have a few on my 510 cluster that are busted..... @tristinGrind do those wedge sockets you bought fit? i went and bought some that i though would fit from Orielys and it didnt work they were a little small.

• Like 1

Anyone have some wedge style bulb holders they wanna sell me?  Pm me.   Went to put my leds in and the holders were twist lock bulb.

I can work the leads to get em to light, but it wont hold em tight.  Guess I could glue em in.  Dont want to.  Eager to see the outcome.

Thanks

Jeff

i have two extra clusters that use wedge bulbs, i can just pop them out and give them too you. pm me if yah want to try it :)

• Like 1

i need to buy some cause i have a few on my 510 cluster that are busted..... @tristinGrind do those wedge sockets you bought fit? i went and bought some that i though would fit from Orielys and it didnt work they were a little small.

No they dont... Luckily I had plenty of stock ones from the two clusters I have. Im going to have to return the ones I purchased and see if they have larger ones. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is a great write up but I would want to order my LEDs before taking my dash apart to find out what "style" bulbs to order for a 72 510

I might have miss it in this thread, and the other few threads are for 620's

did or could someone break down the builds for a 72 510 dash? I know Tristin did but its the 68/69....

I was on their website and started to get confused to the many different varieties if LEDs...... If not, im going to have to take it apart and match them up...

• Like 1

This is a great write up but I would want to order my LEDs before taking my dash apart to find out what "style" bulbs to order for a 72 510

I might have miss it in this thread, and the other few threads are for 620's

did or could someone break down the builds for a 72 510 dash? I know Tristin did but its the 68/69....

I was on their website and started to get confused to the many different varieties if LEDs...... If not, im going to have to take it apart and match them up...

Same wedge style. 

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Guys,

This tread was the ticket. I made copies of everything and will be ordering bulbs for the 521 and the Roadster. Pretty cool, thanks.

And the pics were right on. It let us noobs see what you are talking about.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Thought I'd ad some standard bulb info for the 74, 161, and 194 wedge series:

#74 - 1 watt - 14 volt - 0.8 x 0.2 - T1.75 - Wedge (W2 1x9.5d) Base

#74 - 1.4 watt - .1 amp - 14 volt - 0.8 x 0.2 - T1.75 - Sub-Min Wedge (W2.1x4.9d) Base

#74LED - .25 watt - .014 amp - 12 volt - 0.75 x 0.2 - T1.75 - Sub-Min Wedge (W2.1x4.9d) Base

Note:  Don't know why 2 different #74's have different Bases:  9.5d -v- 4.9d

#161 - 2.66 watt - .19 amp - 14 volt - 1.1 x 0.4 - T3.25 - Miniature Wedge (W2.1x9.5d) Base

#161 - 3 watt - 14 volt - 1.1 x 0.4 - T3.25 - Wedge (W2 1x9.5d) Base

#194 - 3.78 watt - .27 amp - 14 volt - 1.1 x 0.4 - T3.25 - Miniature Wedge (W2.1x9.5d) Base

#194LED - .6 watt - .043 amp - 1.1 x 0.4 - 12 volt - T3.25 - Miniature Wedge (W2.1x9.5d) Base

Parts manual shows:  26261-89902 which is a 1.7 watt bulb  where the datsun1200 folks state: a  2.7 watt Type 161 is often specified by aftermarket   (Awesome bulb dissertation at datsun1200)

The implications of this are huge if you still have the OE bulbs:  a run of the mill 161 would be a significant improvement, not to mention a 194

Then the BIG PROBLEM:  What color... what color.... what color...  (I suppose Green would be OE)

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

I did the led upgrade on my 521 that we are making a daily for my son. We went with red. It looks great so far. I have not got it on the road yet so I don't know if they are too bright at night.

I ran into one issue with the IGN light. It was not working. We had installed as internally regulated alternator from a pathfinder. It requires 12v switched power to the "L" connection on the alt. I found that the 12v go through the light and then to the alternator via a White w red tracker wire. The Led light I had would not the the voltage through Which wouldn't

Illuminate the IGN light nor excite the field. I had no charge from the alternator until I replaced the LED with a regular bulb.

Mutt Dad had this same issue on his BMW motorcycle at one time. Thankfully i remembered this and was able to figure it out.

Just thought it may help someone with a similar issue.

Mine is a 1972 521. For reference.

Cheers

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

So, finally got tired of not being able to see half my stuff at night, particularly the speedometer.

Anyone know what kind of bulbs are required for a 720 gauge cluster?  Digging out some of the (apparently original) Toshiba bulbs lists the larger as 158, and the smaller as 74, while I've heard the 158 is superseded by 194, but I'd like to double check just to be sure, as well as get some recommendations on any particular style of LED that might work well with the cluster.

No idea about the lights that are apparently behind the speedo/tach however.

Edited by Melkor
  • Like 1