LED Gauge Cluster

Madness

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My Led gauge cluster.  (FYI the white gauges made it so much easier to read with stock lights) (Also the Leds are not so spotty IRL and I have a dimmer on them)

I think I might add more LEDs  and reduce the brightness.

I might add that this is not using any bulb holders. Just individual LEDs (I buy 100packs on ebay for cheap in all sorts of colors, usually in the 3mm size)

SNC11318.JPG

• Like 1
Was hoping the natural white would help eluminate the white letters on the cluster... I want to see someone use the green....

Its not a 521, but Ill be useing green in my 69 cluster... I just need to pull it out first to see what kind and how many I need for it (since Ive only seen 70+ pics). 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Ok,

For The 1-LED 90's

2 Green For Turning Signals

3 Red Lights For Oil, Brake, Charge

1 Cool White For High Beam

For The 5-LED 220's

2 Blue For Backlight Of Speedometer

1 Blue For Backlight Of Dummy Gauge

But How Many For The Tachometer? [img=http://community.ratsun.net/public/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif]

Wait a second... Why did you buy RED for the dummys, but a COOL WHITE for the high beam? Wouldnt you buy a Blue for it? The RED dummy and BLUE highbeams are all filtered lens right? Even the green signals? shouldnt you want all white for those. you are only picking coloured ones to replace the back lighting on the cluster. I kinda like having the stock green plastic filters, mine arent in bad shape, so i could just buy 9 white LEDs right?

• Like 1

^^ I bought red for my dummy lights too, and blue for the bright.  Then white for the back lights with the green housings. It makes it nice and bright that way.

Do it how you want, though.

This is how it turned out with "Cool white" leds.  I can't remember if i removed the green housings or not. I got the one down from 360 (180 degree i think??)

IMAG0241.jpg

• Like 1
Wait a second... Why did you buy RED for the dummys, but a COOL WHITE for the high beam? Wouldnt you buy a Blue for it? The RED dummy and BLUE highbeams are all filtered lens right? Even the green signals? shouldnt you want all white for those. you are only picking coloured ones to replace the back lighting on the cluster. I kinda like having the stock green plastic filters, mine arent in bad shape, so i could just buy 9 white LEDs right?

Youre buying colored LEDs because youre removing the housings in the cluster. 

• Like 1
Youre buying colored LEDs because youre removing the housings in the cluster.

Why am I removing the coloured housing? Mine aren't burnt and are intact. Also I am not removing the blue/red/green lenses that are part of the gauge, unless you did...

I DO NOT want a coloured cluster I like the stock green all I want is brighter and less draw.

• Like 2

No, in some clusters there are extra colored covers to turn the white cluster light into a specific color thats needed. Say theres a green colored dome installed... remove that and buy a green LED. Since the light from the LED doesnt have to travel through that dome any longer you get a higher-truer output.

• Like 1
No, in some clusters there are extra colored covers to turn the white cluster light into a specific color thats needed. Say theres a green colored dome installed... remove that and buy a green LED. Since the light from the LED doesnt have to travel through that dome any longer you get a higher-truer output.

Thats what I was trying to say. :p

So YOU have personally removed all your coloured LENSES on YOUR red dummy lights and blue highbeam in favour of coloured BULBS

I know the dummy lights and the signals are only on momentarily but I think if I could see a bulb w/o a filter that would bother me.

Im saying my green domes are intact, I like them, I'm keeping them. Question is run a WHITE light through a GREEN dome or a GREEN light through a GREEN dome? I think I am just going to buy all WHITE lights, I dont want to be cutting stuff up. :>

• Like 1

I had that thought also, keeping the green domes on.  (i used the natural white)When I did, it wasnt that much brighter over stock with those style maybe with the brighter ones with more leds...  with my 521 cluster I left all the dummy lights alone.  maybe using a red light to go through something that blocks all light except red will be brighter then using white (all colors) all colors blocked except red leaving less lumens?

• Like 1
Don't quote me on that .. I'm just a dumbass Ratsun member, thats talking out his ass...

Its not the end of the world if you left the domes in place. You lose some light quality, but its not that huge of an issue. I mean, if you have a dome on it changing the light from natural white to green (or whatever color), why wouldnt you just replace it with a green LED? It will give you the most output because you wont lose any light going through the dome. Also, if you have a partially obscured dome to turn a 360* light into a directional 180* light, just pull the dome and replace it with a directional LED. 

But like I said... its not a real big issue if you left them in there. 

• 3 weeks later...

Ok... here is the info for the '68/'69 guys who want to replace their bulbs with LEDs. 

8551311998_4da6d9cf5f_c.jpg

There are 8 total LEDs needed:

(4) Red

(4) Green (unless you want to change from the stock color)

I just purchased (5) red and (5) green and (10) twist sockets to update the cluster. Shipped it cost me $52 after a 5% coupon code (RET71). Ill update with more pictures once the LEDs arrive and I can install them with the rest of the dash restore. 

Eh, Wled-B5 for the main lights, and wled-x-x for the turn/dummy lights. I may have ordered the wrong main lights, pretty sure they were 360, but cant remember now that they are in the car. Sorry for the shitty pics, but you can def see the difference. I didn't remove the condoms yet, i am going to double check the bulbs to make sure they are 360 before I go that far.

Oics -

Before

IMG_20101120_202732.jpg

IMG_20101120_202740.jpg

After

510gauge001.jpg

510gauge002.jpg

Here we go again...

Just re-ordered same bulbs for second time dime.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone have some wedge style bulb holders they wanna sell me?  Pm me.   Went to put my leds in and the holders were twist lock bulb.

I can work the leads to get em to light, but it wont hold em tight.  Guess I could glue em in.  Dont want to.  Eager to see the outcome.

Thanks

Jeff