It really is an infection...Datsunitis

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This thing ROCKS! It is really, really sound. A little bit of rust in the lower section of the tailgate. Got some minor electrical issues, the alternator for one.

This really seems like a great car for you, skunktruckin was showing me your stack of speakers and sub. You guys will probably want to just upgrade the alternator.

Good to see you again, keep us posted on this thing. MORE PICS! Show off that rear hatch area 'rust'....

Something just occurred to me concerning the headlights. The car has an aftermarket ignition switch in it right? And when you turned off the key, the lights went off.

Anyone know if the 710 is supposed to do that? Every Datsun I've ever seen has the lights wired independently of the ignition.

That may explain why the circuit seems to be getting less voltage than it should, the lights might be running directly through the ignition switch. We should fix that soon, if that's the case.

If you guys can get a hold of a 710 Haynes manual, that would be most excellent. Then you should have a wiring diagram we can look over.

Did I leave you guys a little jug of brake fluid? I thought I did, on the garbage can in the garage? If not, I've got about 4 bottles here. I think you two can probably bleed the brakes, if you get out the manual and remember what I showed you :blink:. Give me a call if you want to go over it again.

The grinding is something I'd like to hear. Not sure if the '77 had pad wear indicators (they start squeaking when the pad wears down), but it's likely. They might be what you're hearing. Does the sound seem to come from the front or the back? Can you hear the grinding noise inside the car with the windows up?

On the lights, I did a little bit more cleaning on the fuse box when you guys went to get fuses, and didn't check the ignition/lights again after that. Does the ignition switch seem hot to the touch?

Glad you've been driving it. :D

Probably the fuse, I really didn't get the fusebox as clean as I would have liked. I'm pretty sure it was either the 3rd or 4th fuse down, closest to the front of the car. Make sure the heater is off. Wiggle it around, or replace the fuse and then see what you get.

fuse panel

----- -----

----- -----

----- -----

----- -----

----- -----

Looking in the passenger door at the fuse box, it will be one of the two light blue ones.

Sounds like you probably just ran the battery down. If you had the radio in the car going for a couple of hours, without the car running, that could do it. If you left the lights on, that would do it too. Sometimes when and older battery goes flat, it won't recharge very well after. With winter coming, you might want to get a new battery :)

I like the optima red tops, but they are a bit spendy. Autozone, Schucks and even Wal-Mart should have the right one. If money is tight, stop in Battery X-Change, they have reconditioned batteries for about $50.

Hope you two are feeling better.

Edited by nukeday

Can you jump start it? Try that and then pull the +(positive) cable off while it's running. It's possible that the alternator we put in was near the end of it's days. Did you get a replacement for the other one? The starter also was acting up when you guys were here, it may be a problem in the start circuit.

I think you should replace the voltage regulator, if you can find one. Here is a list from RA on applicable rigs, if you are in the yard.

NISSAN 200SX 1977

NISSAN 610 (1974 - 1976)

NISSAN 710 (1975 - 1977)

NISSAN 810 1977

NISSAN B210 (1975 - 1976)

It sounds like we need to take another look at what's going on.

So i was driving around on my lunch today and the fuse for the heater blew again. The fuse and the box was really warm. Im not sure what thats about. It kinda looked like the fuse melted.

yep. u got a short somewhere sounds like..... either not ground good or a naked wire. might wanna check out that wiring. it could become worse than blowing a fuse, if not treated.

I thought about it a little and the heater was out for a while while we were sick but i did drive it a few times and lights and wipers and all that seemed to work so im not sure that it's connected to anything else. Maybe the radio but i didn't try using it this time. :confused:

Any chance anyone out here has even just a picture of what the different fuses are? Like the fuse box cover so i can tell what is what.

710Fusebox.jpg

You'll need 5A, 10A and 20A fuses to get the fuse box set up right. Looking directly at the fuse panel:

10A-----20A

5A------10A

20A-----10A

10A-----20A

10A-----10A

I think this might be part of the problem you're having with the heater fan fuse heating-up/blowing.