Cool "New" Motorcycle

first and foremost, i'm a motorcycle nut, have been since i was 10. and i am not an egotistical maniac when it comes to street bikes, it doesnt have to go over 100mph or blow the doors off of a lambo,like the odd ball stuff. i race motorcyles in the dirt, if i want to go fast...i do that. my current street rides are a 1971 harley electriglide with no fenders, metal seat, semi-open primary and drag bars. then i have a 1976 yamaha RD400 that i am currently restoring...anyway...kawasaki updated its Ninja 250r and it looks like a SUHWEET bike. sure, it's not fast, and i guess most would call it a "girl" bike...but man, i think it would be the ultimate little intown commuter bike!!! since they put the fairings on it and 17" wheels it looks like its big brothers, and i just wonder how much hop up potential is in that 250cc parallel twin?? until today, i didnt know it was a twin bike. i was thinking about buying one, and dropping a late model KX250 or even 500 two stroke motor into it, or if i found one cheap enough, put a KXF450 motor in it. now that i see its a twin though, i think it might be worth the purchase just to experiment with cams, upping the compression and opening up the intake and exhaust on it. if you could get 60 horsies out of one of these bikes, i bet it would be more fun than an sv650 (and its hard to top those bikes!!) your thoughts?? hainz...i know you're a bike nut!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

because i'm kinda bored i decided to look it up...

07-ninja250r.jpg

i also love bikes, i've only driven a bike once, a dirtbike, when i was 15 for about 2 minutes and i wrecked it.. haha. if i had access to one right now i'm sure i'd be fine with it. the odd thing with me is i don't want a bike that'll go 150mph. i'm smart enough at this point that i know if i can go that fast on a bike i will eventually do it, and then i'll get comfortable and then i'll hurt myself, or kill myself or worse, somebody else. i like acceleration, if i can get up to 60 before any of the other vehicles on the road around me, i'm happy. :) i'd rather have that 250 than a 636 and i don't think i'd even look at a 1000. what about a super or turbo charger? a couple of quick pounds of boost and you'll get plenty of power out of the lil twincyl.

tnip...you didnt get the pic of the 2008 model. go to kawasaki's website and look at the 08...it looks awesome!!! yes, i am into the cafe scene big time...i am building my 76 yamaha rd400 as a roberts replica, and i have built my own fiberglass seat/fender set up and will be using an older r1 LED tail light set up...but on to this ninja 250...i am SOOO HAPPY i found other guys that are riders instead of just people going "buy a 'busa...go fast..." bahhhh...sick of that crap! i think this bike has potential! i have heard that the intake is really restricted on these bikes, and that the K&N set up helps them out. my cousin and i build bikes together all the time and i bet once i run this idea by him...his head will start spinning with ideas. i'll let you know what theory we come up with!

WOW

2008_Ninja250R_Right.jpg

that is a vast improvement, however it needs to lose the undertail and run the exhaust through there or something... idk why i didn't catch that i was looking at a 07 before. i'm glad they updated it and WHAT AN UPDATE! i noticed in the specs that they dropped compression almost a whole point 12.4 > 11.6 and lost a couple ftlbs 18.1 > 16.0 hmm... also gained 29 pounds dry weight but has a shorter wheelbase. bigger gas tank, better brakes. super sexy new look. i would love to say that i am a "rider" however, i don't want to misrepresent myself, i have basically 0 seat time. i do love the looks and design and the thought of motorcycles. i just haven't had the drive and the money at the same time. but you're right, i'm not the average kid that wants a busa and wants to do stunts and all that shit, no thank you. wheelies are cool, kinda, stoppies are cool, kinda... i just like the thought of something that gets that kind of gas mileage, is that fast, can handle like that... plus how fuckin cool do some of these bikes look... i will say that i would like a busa, if it was wrecked, and i would only want it for the motor and tranny and a few other lil bits. i'd throw the motor and tranny in the back of my truck with some bits from z-cars and have a trick ass 521... then i'd look into turbo charging it :D... anyway.

my dad just picked up an issue of "robb report motorcycling" because of this bike on the cover, it's a cafe inspired bike that is ... awesome. i added a link below, it's called the "nortorious". and the other link is for ecosse moto, they build a bad ass bike, just in general, thought i'd share. i would love to see what you have built or are building and what you and your cousin come up with about squeezing some more power out of that motor.

nortorious: http://www.bikernet.com/bikebarn/PageViewer.asp?PageID=1663

ecosse moto: http://www.ecossemoto.com/gallery.htm

dude, thanks for the links! i told you the '08 was better LOL!!! my cousin owned his own bike shop for almost 20 years, and his garage is like a salvage yard of old bikes, just parts here parts there, and i think 7-8 of them are runners. others have various illnesses, electronics, stuff like that....so we kind of frankenstien some of our stuff. the only thing we have really "built" together is my flattrack race bike, and now we have this yamaha down to the bare bits. anywho...back to the ninja...for sure you'd have to lose that license plate holder/tongue/nastiness thing. for the exhaust, i would probably build my own, megaphone style and try to have it exit much like the motogp bikes are doing now, as are the new gsxr's and the yamaha r series, just below the rider's rearset. i am curious what they did to change the compression ratio...i bet they did a piston swap, so there is one of my mods right there, get pistons out of an older bike and put them in there...ta da...compression. i haven't looked into my flattrack rule book yet, but since i have a spare flattrack frame...i wonder if you can run a twin in the 250 class...if you can, i could build a bike that i could slaughter the 250 class on for the half miles and such...but this is all a big dream in my head right now. sure is fun to talk about!!!

you lucky bastard...with your roberts RZ...damn you! man i'm so jealous! The RD i have is really a cool story. this guy bought it new that was friends with my cousin, kept it bone stock the entire time he had it, wouldn't even change the tires, he had to have OEM replacement EVERYTHING! he died of a sudden heart attack when he was in his early 40's and his dad gave the bike to my cousin, so it would have a good home. My cousin just sat it over in a corner till i found it last year...and now we are bringing it back to life....but man i keep getting distracted on this ninja...here is what i found out today. i went on ninja250.com today, and they had some dyno charts up. stock power was about 26hp to the wheel, with bolt on stuff (filters, jetting, exhaust) they had it up about 33 or so. then they had another dyno sheet with "cams and head work" that looked as if it was putting out about 38-39 horsies. of course, i didnt talk to the tuners on what they did, but i kind of wonder how in depth they went with the work. you never make big advances if you don't take big chances, and from what i can see, or what i am guessing, they went pretty conservative on their mods. i really am hoping that my finances work out so i can purchase one of these bikes now though.

sorry hainz, forgot you had all the 2strokes. what's the deal with that anyway, i understand how a two stroke engine works compared to a 4stroke i think, and i'm not looking for a description, i'll look it up later, but what's the power delivery like relative to a 4stroke? and do you still own that yellow topless 510? are there more pics of it around here i missed? i'd love to see more of it.

cruzn- what's your flattracker look like? aren't those the ones with no front brake, big front wheel, constantly in a drift?

god talk about distraction... the way my mind works, i'm thinking about selling my truck just to get a downpayment and goin and pickin up a new 250r just to learn more ... but it's gonna start gettin cold here, and my dad would never co-sign on it... there is one bike he would def let me have in a hearbeat.... http://www.kikker5150.com/hardknock.html with the options i want it's like a lil over 2k shipped to my door in three boxes... :D

alright... i'm gonna have to read a few more posts here (priority one) then i'm gonna have to check out ninja250.com and see what's up over there... haha thanks :rolleyes:

tnip...the deal with two strokes...they are awesome, thats about all i can say. power delivery...they make their power much quicker and are much peakier (because they make power on every revolution of the crank instead of having an intake stroke and an exhaust stroke)

my flattracker...i'll put pics up tonight of it. and you have to remember that we also ride converted motocross bikes also (i just dont have one right now) but yeah, rules are no front brakes (unless its a TT course..another story) and we run 19" wheels front and rear. you really arent in a drift the entire time but yeah, we step the bikes out pretty good in the corners.

that kikker...i like the styling, but that is more of a pit bike from the looks of the motor! i am wanting to build a "bobber" but with all these projects i have planned already, who knows if i ever will!

i talked to my cousin about the bike and i have him all amped up about it, and i found some motors going cheap on ebay, so i might buy one to put in a flattrack frame. he thinks 34mm carbs would be the hot set up, and of course head work, cams, and then make our own exhaust. i honestly think you could coax a reliable 45 horse out of one of these motors now that i have seen dyno sheets. hopefully we will get to find out!!!

http://science.howstuffworks.com/two-stroke1.htm

alot depends on the expansion pipe also(exhaust)

a german who worked for MZ motorcycles designed a cone shape to the exhaust which would refleck asound wave back to the chamber to cause a bigger explosion. He later defected and went to work for Suzuki and thus the expansion pipe design was born. A pipe and jettng can almost increase power 50% or more

Expansion pipes can and most are very expensive but give it the most bang for the buck with jetting. Lean it out it will melt a piston!!!!!!!!!!

The Yamaha RD series was org a clone of the German Adler motor cycle back who knows when.

The Japs made them more reliable

they still made the Yamaha Rd up to the 80s in India knwn as Rasjdoots or something like that

The Yamaha Banshee is just a evolution of the R5/ RD/RZ w/o th power valve

unfortunately a motor that burns twice as brite only lasts half as long

http://www.bsmotoring.com/oldsite/2001/01jun09_1.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rajdoot_350

For me the goal is to Have a RZ500 4 cylinder 2 stroke or a Suzuki Gamma 4 cyl 2 stroke.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A0oGkyDzDBlHWdwAwsBXNyoA?ei=UTF-8&p=yamaha%20rz500&fr2=tab-web&fr=yfp-t-501

HPIM0261_thumb.jpg

Untitled-6_thumb.jpg

yellow510_thumb.jpg

redwhtblu510_thumb.JPG