Carb Juice

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I assume you're rebuilding it right? I don't see why you can't use laquer thinner. I can get a gallon of it here for $8 bucks. Normally when I go through a carb, I just buy 2-3 cans of NAPA 4800 Brake Clean, it works great. Don't but the 4810 though, or any of that other junk they have, it's "enviromentally friendly", and doesn't clean as good or dry as fast... Go figure :P

If I remeber right the main fuel is about 130-135-140

Idle jet should be close to 50-55-60

If it doesnt idle The idle jet could be plugged. And you have the speed adjustment crank all the way in running on the main jet.

unscrew B in photo and clean out.

If you have the electric Idle cutt off selinoid make sure the wire is back on with 12volts going to it.

webermixtureidlescrew_thumb.jpg

Shady, my Weber came stock with 145 for both jets. I jetted it down. I think 120 main and 130 secondary. I got a little more torque and added at least 1 mpg. I picked up my jets at a local performance shop. Not the cheapest ($8 ea) but I didn't have to pay shipping and wait like you do with online ordering.

Laquer thinner you get at Lowes or Home Depot. It's a LOT cheaper than brake cleaner, and no it's not the same stuff. Brake cleaner is nasty stuff.

I've never "dunked" a carb though. That won't clean the inner passages... only compressed air does that (and not the little spray cans). A little solvent might help, or might not.

Ok... I feel more confused on the subject than before. I've always heard bathing your carb for a day is the best way to make sure all the gunk accumulation gets out. But it sounds like from you guys that that won't do much more than just spraying it with a can of carb cleaner and using a brush. Is that what you all would suggest?

Hainz: what shaft are you talking about?

as far as cleaning goes, i rebuilt my carb a few months ago and it seemed decently clean, altho i have no reference, i can imagine what it looks like brand new.. this thing was clean... anyway my dad said to just by a couple cans of carb cleaner and use that as i needed. have you pulled this carb yet? you might see when you get it in your hands, it's not that difficult to clean them up.

the throttle shaft is in the housing

http://www.racetep.com/weber/32_36DGV.pdf

here is what in a rebuild kit, nothing much.

http://www.carburetion.com/Weber/webernumber.asp?Kit_Nbr=92-3237-05

if anything blow some air thru the and the idle jet an where the idle jet gets screwed in the carb!!!!! thats if you say you have no idle.

The main jets are at the bottom of the float bowl and just unscrew them and see if you can see light but Im sure they are fine. if you say it runs. cause your using the main jets.

If you really want to let it soak, lacquer thinner (paint thinner) should be fine, and is probably the cheapest solvent you're gonna be able to buy enough of to submerge the whole carb for like $10 bucks or less. You may still have to brush it if its as dirty as you say.

Take it apart, let it soak along with the jets and other stuff that doesn't come in a rebuild kit. If you don't have access to compressed air, I would buy at least one can of carb, or brake clean (I prefer NAPA 4800 brake clean). Hook up the little straw to the nozzle, and blow it into jets, holes, and crevases. Watch your eyes, spraying it the holes, it might just come out another and hit you in the face if you're not careful.

You can buy NAPA 4800 in a gallon can, but I know it's much more expensive than a gallon of lacquer thinner.

Autozone has Berryman B9 for $20 a gallon, nice thing about it is the parts basket in the can and you can dump in a little MEK when it starts getting weak to bring it back up. Horribly nasty stuff, will definitely let you know if you get some on your hands. Doesn't agree with rubber at all, thought I'd ruined my Harley carb because it had o-ring seals around the butterfly shaft. .40 worth of parts but getting them in was a bitch.

Parts dip is the stuff you want.Laquer thinner is strong stuff but wont do what the dip can do.The dip will lift off the dirt particles from the nooks and crannies and leave a nice newish surface while thinner will only break down what you scrub on.Berrymans is the shit.