Just Another Wagon Thread

DRIVEN

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

UPDATE: My adapter plate is pretty much done. The pilot bearing is modified. My parts are all here (at least all the ones I remembered). Started tearing the engine down for reseal. Pulled a couple caps to check the bearings on my wrecking yard crap-shoot. Bearings are wasted and the crank and 3 rods are damaged. Looks like I have another trip to the yard ahead of me <_< .

Got the replacement engine home. This one came from an insurance auction car with severe rear body damage. As an added bonus, it had a dated factory reman sticker on the timing cover and appears to have quite a few less miles than the car. I'm feeling much more confident this time. Planning to have it cleaned, resealed and back together by Monday night.

No, it's not a VQ. Nothing that exotic. I got it at PickNPull but the car had writing and stickers on the windshield indicating where it came from. The reason I'm not telling what it is until it's done is because I expect a pretty moderate flame storm for my choice. I actually come from more of a streetrod/hotrod/kustom/muscle car background and try to keep a pretty open mind about mixing and matching parts. It seems that the general consensus on this forum (and other Datsun forums) tend to be pretty snobbish about what's acceptable and what's not. That's why I honestly debated posting this build at all. My skin's pretty thick but why invite the negativity, right? :) The direction of this project will be much more toward a streetrod flavor than JDM or vintage rice. If you want some clues; it's a moderate sized DOHC fuel injected 4cyl with DIS. It came in several different performance levels but was never offered as RWD and it's not a Honda. I've never seen one in a Datsun. Many will probably argue that it's for a good reason. While it has been received with mixed reviews, my experience with this particular engine over the years has been very positive.

Engine is cleaned, resealed, and detailed. All fuel system parts are here and my spare tank will be welded up by Monday. The pressure plate is the only missing piece on the clutch system and is expected on Monday or Tuesday. The remote filler to go with the Jetta radiator and some mandrel bent exhaust pieces are on their way from Speedway as I am typing this. My project for the weekend is to finish the harness surgery. The original harness has the ABS and transmission circuits integrated. I also deleted the AC, EVAP, and EGR circuits. I am doing an ignition system upgrade that will require minor alteration to the harness as well. This is what I've removed so far.

003-28.jpg

Then again, maybe I'll just fix the oil leak on my bike and go for a ride instead.

i purchased the same one and couldnt see it fitting right.

I have one in so cal if anyone wants its. $45

Start in the middle and work your way out. It fits OK.

2eDeYe' date='03 June 2011 - 05:33 PM' timestamp='1307147638' post='487687']

Sounds like an ecotec :cool:

I'd love a GXP or Redline version. Would be an easier swap since they were RWD.

Well, the procrastination gods have frowned upon me. It starts and runs but dies after 2 seconds. It has spark but no injector pulse. If I cut power and try again it starts, runs for 2 seconds and dies. Repeat. Repeat. Looks like I have an anti-theft issue with the ECM. I'll see if it can be "tricked". If not, I guess it won't be making it to Canby. Aside from that I only have probably 2 hours of exhaust work and it's ready to hit the streets. Maybe it wasn't a great idea to wait until 6 days before Canby to undertake a project like this :rolleyes: .

Last clue:

006-13.jpg

^^Always good advice :lol: ^^.I've been searching high and low for a way to bypass the anti-theft system but it looks like either an ECM reflash or a simulator will be necessary. I won't be able to get either today. I'll keep researching but it's looking bleak as far as making the show tomorrow. I'll put some finished pics up later today if I can't work out the problem.

Simulator on order. Probably won't be here for a week though. So since it officially won't make Canby this year, here it is...

005-16.jpg

006-14.jpg

001-41.jpg

yello620 was the closest. While not technically a Quad4, the Twin Cam (LD9) is very closely related. It's actually a revised and updated version. The specs are pretty similar to the KA24de as far as power output, bore and stroke, and valvetrain arrangement are concerned. The reasons I chose it are as follow;

I don't like Nissan's engine management (just personal opinion).

I have more background with GM.

Built-in 105A alternator and DIS upgrades.

They get reasonable gas mileage and will be plenty of power for a driver.

Parts are cheap and available.

I think they just look cool.

No one else has done it, that I'm aware of. This is one of one.

I like to bastardize things and alienate people.

Thank you for your patience. You are free to judge starting..........now.

Love the Swap. Have been considering a GM Powertrain in the past as well. 2.0L Ecotec RWD Turbocharged with a 5 speed would be CRAZY TALK in a Datsun. Before those of you who are SR this and KA that go and scoff at this man's install I say Bravo, good choice, gotta love the Parts Availability and its his background! I assume that like Skib, and Nismo Dr, etc alot of the Ratsun People Started Nissan and got older in their tastes and wanting to differ themselves from all the other Nissans out there. I'm guessing thats how alot of you got into Datsuns, or what you were into before.

Very Cool Build Driven.

Radio