b210 differential swap!!!

2dat0z9

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

RX7 is quite a bit wider but cheap. GSL-SE models were LSD with disc brakes. Ford 8.8 is a pretty cheap option but would also have to be narrowed. I know the AE86 Corolla is close to a bolt in and only a little wider. Not sure if there were factory LSD options but there is aftermarket support.

you couldnt find it becuase it's hardly ever been done here in the states. you could go a couple of ways.

one. swap out your current diff for a later and stronger 75 b210 and up diff. remove the center section and weld the spider gears. now you got posi. this diff will hold the l20b reasonably well. this is a really cheap way to do it and bolt in deal.

two. swap the rx7 diff in. you will need to have it re lugged and narrowed to fit the b 210, unless you want to run posittive offsett wheels in the rear then leave it alone. this swap is a little more pricey since re lugging and narrowing could be involved.

three. this is what i will be doing to my b210 once i grenade my stock diff. swap in a toyota truck 8 inch diff. most toyota trucks came with either the 7.5 or 8 inch rear end. these diffs have a width of abouth 57 inchces. our b210's have about 51 inches drum face to drum face. i am going to have it narrowed locally, and send the stock shafts to be resplined. about a 300 buck job. posi diffs came in these yota trucks but are really rare. i will be swapping in a center carrier from a four runner, which commonly have posi and lower gears. also worth noting, it's really cheap to get gears for these since all the yota truck guys are always upgrading to lower gears as they go up in tire size, so scoring a really good set of used gears is really easy. there is also a bunch of lunch box lockers and limited slips that are available for this diff should you want to upgrade. and last but not least, they are super strong and will last a long time specially under a four cylinder car.

four. if you have unlimited cash, just order up a custom cut to your specs ford nine inch. the problem with this one is that b210's have very limited space to fit such a big pumpkin. you might have to make room. hammer time.

you got that GUEY!

Edited by b210in

yea i want a limited slip diff.. i think am gonna go with the welded gears for now since there is a newer b210 at the pick and pull right now, and gonna keep my eyes open for a rx7 differential... i was talking to my cousin about taking the spring leafs off and put a 4 link. any ideas?? and thanks for the info GUEY!

good. if you are going to get the diff from a later b210, 75 and up, remember to also get the driveshaft. the flange or yoke on the diff is different for 75 and up b210's, your current driveshaft will not bolt up.

post pics of what you are doing

• 5 years later...

ola todos I'm iski from Malaysia, and i just saw a rear axle from an AE86 come on sale for Malaysian Ringgit 1500 or approx 300 dollars. I'd really like the lsd from the hachi-roku but the rear discs are a bonus. Is it a direct bolt in for the B210? Oh Malaysian B210s run the A 12 engine though i'm swapping it for an a15 soon as well (A15 cos malaysia produced the nissan vanette a15 up til 2009, so aloyta parts are available)

Get out a measuring tape and answer these questions....

The B-210 has rear leaf springs.... does the AE86? Or are they coil spring?

Is the AE86 the same width from side to side?

Is the AE86 4 or 5 lug bolt rims?

Will your rims fit over the AE86's disc brakes?

Does the drive shaft size match?

How do the emergency brakes connect?

Will the differential gear ratio be too high on the AE86. 

• Like 1

Hey! Thanks Mike.

There's a whole can of worms there. I was looking at swapping out the rims as well. It's just a lil wider. 86 has a 4 link (dammit!) Coilover setup. Shaft size matches the A15 one. E brakes "Aww hell no!". I'm tempted to buy it in preparation for the "whole enchilada swap". Buy a bit there, get the engine ready. Rims etcetc, then BAM! instant (pain in the ass and wallet) sports machine.

A little wide and you can get different off set rims to move the tire back under the fender.

Don't forget... the AE86 probably has a terrible gear ratio because of the larger displacement engine. Your B will accelerate like crap and LSD??? The B doesn't have traction problems with 84 horse power. Stick with what you have.