620 vg conversion

yello620

Here is the beginning of an attempt at installing a VG30/Automatic into a 620 pickup.

So far there has been no cutting of the tunnel, but it is going to happen. clearances just are not there yet. Right now it is tight to the tunnel, would need a ball peen hammer clearance job on final install. But not quite enough room for the oil pan pickup tube where it sits, but it could be done. And the biggest problem so far is the starter wants to go right through the torsion bar.

Next step will be cutting the tunnel a little. This should get the crankshaft a little higher in the frame and make the oil pan fabrication a little easier, and make the starter clear the torsion bar. Might only need to move up about 3/8".

Teaser pictures.

VGconversion001-1.jpg

620vg001.jpg

620vg002.jpg

620vg003.jpg

Edited by yello620
  • Like 1
  • Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

why not go front coil overs and eliminate the torsion bars all together

This is a very good option. I have two things that keep me from it at this time.

First is that i am hoping for this to be a repeatable conversion for other people that might want to do something other than the KA.:D

Second revolves around the first. I wanted this to fit into a mostly stock chassis.

I do plan to airbag my truck someday, but that is a conversion in itself. Didnt want this to be a two part conversion just to get the VG.

It is not mounted yet, so i may decide that it wont work to my satisfaction. If that happens, then i will probably go the default KA route.

• Like 1

I havent found that yet, but i gat a lead that i am going to follow up on.:D

I have discovered that nissan used two different starter mounting styles. One style has lots of options, the other style has only a few. Guess which style i got.:mad: And there doesnt seem to be any aftermarket gear reduction stuff available, most likely because they are a gear reduction starter from the nissan.

• Like 1
Is this going into your truck? I applaud your efforts / never seen it done on a 620.

The plan right now is to put it in my truck, but since this hasnt really been done or proven to work, i picked up a donor truck to mock it all up in. Basically i have a 75 620 that is not much more than a shell. I cut the core support to make the test fitting easier, but that wont happen to my truck.

Things look good right now, but i i decide that it won't/can't work, then i havent taken my running truck apart.:D

Right now the biggest problem is the starter.:mad:

• Like 1

Still fighting with starter clearance problems.:mad:

Does anybody know if the bellhousing on the VG automatic transmissions will interchange between the two different styles of starters?

Basically i think that i can make the other style starter work. I need a z31 style mounting, and i am currently working with a m30/z32 style mounting.

• Like 1
Still fighting with starter clearance problems.:mad:

Does anybody know if the bellhousing on the VG automatic transmissions will interchange between the two different styles of starters?

Basically i think that i can make the other style starter work. I need a z31 style mounting, and i am currently working with a m30/z32 style mounting.

Is your starter hitting the frame or the crossmember?

• Like 1

Actually the starter is hitting the torsion bar.:mad:

I know, i know, just put airbags or coilovers in it and be done.:D

That is an option, but not what i want to do at this time. Also discovered tonight that i do not have enough hood clearance to run the Pathfinder intake manifold, so i am now searching for a 200sx manifold and a different bellhousing for the transmission.

• Like 1

He doesn't want to have to shift all the time - back problems. Thus the auto is a good choice and the VG is powerful enough to make it fun to drive.

Jason, what is your engine/trans out of? Have you looked at a Z31 automatic?

Also, in order to use the Pathfinder upper plenum in a 510, most guys have had to mill it down a little to get it to sit lower in the front at the slope of the hood. You may be able to do the same. Jeff Kline has been known to do such a thing.

• Like 1

Steve, the Z31 auto trans is exactly what i am looking for, however i think that the 200sx auto and the 2wd d21 trans would also work. I am also looking for a 5spd to mock up.:D

This engine and trans came for a Infiniti M30.

The Pathfinder intake clearance problem might be able to be solved by the milling of the intake like the 510 guys do, but it would still be very tight. I would like to get a transmission/starter combination that will fit, then start building a oil pan to see if i can lower the motor in the chassis any at all. Right now i have the crank centerline matched to an L-series.

anybody have a Z31 auto or a z31 5spd i could borrow?:D

Also watching for a complete donor car to come up, super cheap, preferably a 200sx.

• Like 1