PCD's 74 620 progress/build up

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It runs!  What cuased the fusible link to fail?  I would carry a roll of fuseable link wire connectors and tools to repair it when it fails again and strands yo on the side of the road again.

99% of the time replacing a bad fuse or a bad fuseable link does not fix the problem because the blown fuse or fuseable link is the result of the problem not the problem.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The latest madness is this. I had a dimming headlight issue & had to drive home with no headlights a few weeks back.

I tested the output at the back of the alternator & it

read between 12 & 14.50 amps .

I decided to put the boat alternator on the truck ..I got 2 blocks & the headlights dimmed again & the high beam switch wouldn't even function.

I'm thinking & hoping it's just the headlight relay

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Check to make sure you have a good ground from the engine to the body and from the body to the battery. I like to have a 3-way with 4 awg minimum: Battery to engine, battery to body, and engine to body. 

Make sure the ground wire goes to shiny metal where the paint is removed. Seal up after the connections are made. 

• Like 1

Ok I added a ground strap from the block to the firewall & a ground cable from.the negative of the battery to one of the bumper bracket bolts & theres also a cable from the block to.the negative on the battery.

I then tried to get a reading off the Alternator using my multimeter with no results & yes I tried both red & black.probes on both Alternator plugs.

I ran the truck for awhile with the headlights & high beams on & they stayed bright.

Ill have to test drive it at night to see if the lights dim again.

• Like 1