PCD's 74 620 progress/build up

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Alrighty....new 180 thermostat installed the other day & next will be a new headlight if i can find one in this town i live in.

& onto the newest mod ive been wanting to do this for awhile. I'm making a 3 piece bed cover using pallet wood & angle iron. Im sanding & staining the wood & I'll use some bare metal straps as support / looks. The other 2 sections will be hinged using small weldable hinges & the the wood is free from my job & im using an old box spring frame to support it all !

2nhnuw2.jpg

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

More baby steps made  on the bed cover. Im using some very ancient tire chains that i seperated to act as tabs & hold the wood slats in place with nuts & bolts...

sw2wcg.jpg

then i verified my temp gauge works by letting it idle for 20 minutes then on a short cruise..temp stayed @ 175 ish. & while on the street i took a few pix...

op1e7n.jpg

24dld1s.jpg

s1j6ev.jpg

• Like 2

Sweet Mark.  I hope that this summer you can blast up the freeway at a steady cool temp.  What degree thermostat did you install?

I always run a 185 in Phoenix.

Hell i just want to take it to work which is a 46 mile round trip. I went with a 180 & is there a diff between running premix & or straight anti freeze with diluted water added for our hott temps ?

• Like 1

Just the price. 

I always buy the straight anti freeze.  It is cheaper

1 gallon of straight anti-freeze makes 2 gallons of mix for around $14 including the cost of 1 gallon distilled water.

2 gallons of the mix cost around $18.  I do not know if they use distilled water to mix.

Most radiator manufacturers require distilled water for there warranties.

A lot of people do not want to mix it so they buy the premixed.  I save my empty antifreeze containers for mixing.  After mixing i use a permanent felt marker and write 50/50 on the container.  That is the ratio that should be mixed 50/50.

What ive done in the past is to dump a entire gallon of straight anti freeze then top off with distilled water.

I wonder what the capacity of the 620 cooling system is ? I want to ensure a 50-50 mix...

• Like 1

More is better than less on anti freeze. 

620 Cooling System:

1972-1974          6 3/8 gt. (6 liters)

1975 -1977 (manual)      8 1/2 gt. (8 liters)

1975 -1977 (automatic)               8 1/4 gt. (7.8 liters)

1978 and late (manual) includes reservoir           9 3/8 gt. (8.9 liters)

1978 and late (automatic) includes reservoir      9 1/4 gt. (8.7 liters)

Information came from here:

http://www.davidcmurphy.com/olddat/620tech3.htm#FC

• Like 1

This was so worth going through the whole thread.. Awesome build! Much inspiration and bag ideas..

Hey thanks i appreciate the thoughts. Copy anything you see...thats kinda what i did HaHa

& Charlie Ill try...I have to get up to speed 1st............... :pirate:

• Like 1

Well i have a sad update..as i was driving the 620 to work yesterday the motor decided to give out. I heard what i believe to be a rod knocking @ 55 mph. Pulled over & discovered oil all over the DS of the block & no coolant in the radiator & the dipstick is reading zero ! Ive about lost all motivation to fix the truck AGAIN * waste time & $$$ on it. It will go into the garage & the boat will come out tomorrow & there itll sit until i decide what to do. May down the road sell it so i can get a daily driver...I give up the truck wins !!

• Like 1