PCD's 74 620 progress/build up

• Please log in to reply
1134 replies to this topic

#1 Pacific coast Datsun

Pacific coast Datsun

Japanese trucking association

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,866 posts
  • Cars:76 Conqueror "Datsun powered" jet boat -73 PL 620 - 74 PL 620 - 94 D-21

Posted 10 October 2007 - 08:33 AM

Hey guys you've all seen my 620 before im sure here & at NWDE but i wanted to start a new thread here. In the next 2 weeks ill be doing some major work on her in preperation for Reso 07 now that there will be an "old school" class :cool:. Shes sittin on stockers / jack stands now with a few new residents [spiders] but ill have pics as i go. Once again you guys here & NWDE helped me SO much in getting this truck back on the road & needless to say i owe all you guys a cruise in her :D
Posted Image

85 720--74 pl 620--94 D 21-- 64 L 320 [co-owner]--74 sundance 16 jet boat [L 20 powered]
Member- *Japanese trucking association*
*Southwest Datsun pickups*
http://www.southwestdatsunpickups.com/
HBbedgif.gif

#2 kiznook

kiznook

Datsun Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,385 posts
  • Cars:72 510 4dr, 91 hardbody

Posted 10 October 2007 - 12:50 PM

No Hooks!!

#3 Steroid

Steroid

Doctor De-hook-ian

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,978 posts
  • Cars:Ten 620 pickups, 1940 Ford sedan, 2 Harleys, 3 boats and a few other NOISY things!

Posted 10 October 2007 - 01:19 PM

This truck was once a show truck. I found it here in Bullhead city with the very rare Permacast rims. It at one time had a wrapkit and sunvisor molded in. The rear flares and the sunvisor were the pieces I had molds made from. The hood had blown up and the sunvisor broken in 4 places!! Anyway, quite a LOOOONNNNGGGGGGGGG story on how I finally got it. It became Mark's when He was gracious enough to drive up from San Diego (I had NEVER met Him, only from the forum!!!) and helped Me get the city off My back. He brought His infamous Sawzall and started cutting!! When it was all over, four 620s were cut up and 5 dumpsters filled!! So I gave Him Him choice of any one of three trucks, this one, a 1976 or the peagreen 1973 that Datsun Dreamer recently acquired. Mark has literally gone through Hell with this truck and I would've been totally bummed if I had've sold it for even one dollar to Him!! But it HAS now been in a few magazines, so there was/is a light at the end of the tunnel for a long ago show truck being rebuilt! Mark can tell You just how many colors it has been. He should know, He removed 2 layers of skin sanding it all off!!! There was some crazy stuff on this truck like traction bars with a cross piece "anti sway bar" that was sold long ago to a lot of mini truckers as an accessory. Mark is also (NOT!!) especially fond of the vintage sunroof that was installed long ago. He has lots of photos of it's construction and look when I found it in about 2003.
Mike

#4 Steroid

Steroid

Doctor De-hook-ian

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,978 posts
  • Cars:Ten 620 pickups, 1940 Ford sedan, 2 Harleys, 3 boats and a few other NOISY things!

Posted 10 October 2007 - 01:20 PM

Tow truck?!?!??????? What happened to it this time?!?!?????????

OH BHUY!!!!!
Mike

#5 ]2eDeYe

]2eDeYe

Bastard!

• User Administrator
  • 17,779 posts
  • Cars:78 620 KC, 77 620 KC, 72 CJ5, 04 G35 coupe mmmm

Posted 10 October 2007 - 03:16 PM

mmm....one sexy 620...

Good luck at Reso :D

now on with the buildup :cool:

Smokin' Joe's House of Datto's

gJv38AY.jpg
Member- *Japanese Trucking Association*

**DATSUN FAQ** ~ If ya know it, post it ~ If ya don't know it, learn it ~

ratsun.net rising sun stickers                     ratsun business cards order thread

620 KA24 Motor Mount Swap Brackets

1977 620 KingCab Deluxe KA24DE Swap - Refresh and cleanup
1978 620 kingcab 4x4 - KA24E SAS w/Dana 44 front and Toyota rear

1967 RL411 Station Wagon

Whenever I think that I'm out of my mind for putting this much time and money into an old Datsun, all I have to do is look some of your threads to know that I'm not nearly as whack as you are.

You're going to skin a few knuckles, stand up too fast and bump your head, hunt around the floor for the nuts and bolts you dropped, invent a few new cuss words and when you're finished you'll say "That wasn't so hard after all!"

#6 datsun dreamer

datsun dreamer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts
  • Cars:74-620,73-620,62 chevy c10,00-civic,01-tacoma

Posted 10 October 2007 - 05:50 PM

Hey Mark, Your 620 looks awesome i cant wait to see your future build! what are the plans?

#7 Icehouse

Icehouse

wolf man

• User Administrator
  • 5,715 posts
  • Cars:57 VW SC - 59 210 - 64 VW camper - 2 68 510 2 dr - 70 bluebird coupe - 3 71 510 2 drs - 73 1200 ute

Posted 10 October 2007 - 08:20 PM

I like that truck, the zebra paint is my fav. :D

"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb."    Sam

#8 Pacific coast Datsun

Pacific coast Datsun

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,866 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 09:56 AM

Oh yess this truck has been a BIG challenge bringing it back to life to say the least. I had a 22 page thread on NWDE but i think it got deleted when they "cleaned" up that site. Everything under the hood is new & currently has a 2 link rear suspension & re-key'd torsions. As Mike said this truck had been painted at least 6 times with the upper 2 coats cracking/peeling off. I had to scrape it down to the original color which took 2 weeks ! Future plans include: convertable top w/ welded in filler panels, finish shaving lights,vents, & possibly re-primer it a different color. Heres a few pix old -current.....
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

85 720--74 pl 620--94 D 21-- 64 L 320 [co-owner]--74 sundance 16 jet boat [L 20 powered]
HBbedgif.gif

#9 73super

73super

Save the Hooks!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Cars:1973 620

Posted 12 October 2007 - 11:15 AM

No Hooks!!

Are you TRYING to make some kind of a statement here sonny boy? You calling me out? You on some kind of a mission now..? Oh for the love-ah. ;)

#10 73super

73super

Save the Hooks!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 11:26 AM

Posted Image

you know with a little fiberglassing you could modify that shell to look very retro....

#11 Pacific coast Datsun

Pacific coast Datsun

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,866 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 11:56 AM

"you know with a little fiberglassing you could modify that shell to look very retro..."

sorry the shell was cut up into many pieces & dumped...:rolleyes:

HBbedgif.gif

#12 73super

73super

Save the Hooks!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 12:17 PM

"you know with a little fiberglassing you could modify that shell to look very retro..."

sorry the shell was cut up into many pieces & dumped...:rolleyes:

You guys are killin' me..... ugh.:mad:

#13 Steroid

Steroid

Doctor De-hook-ian

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 11:42 PM

Wow, I had forgotten that photo! In the background (while Mark's is being placed on the towdolly) is the red roofline of the fourdoor cab, the peagreen truck that Datsun Dreamer now has, the white '76 that may or may not become RHD and one of My trailers stripped prior to pearl paint under the blue tarp. All of those Mark had helped Me move over to this house from the other lot to get them out of the City's sight. That is why the red roofline is up so high, it was on My trailer. But, alas, the City got wise and figured "let's see what the other propertys listed under this guys name look like" and a week later I had another citation!!! So, back to the other lot with them all after it got checked off!!! Finally, with new fencing at the other lot, I was and still have been, left alone.
Mike

#14 Pacific coast Datsun

Pacific coast Datsun

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,866 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 11:13 PM

Mike those few days were fun but sad at the same time. Having to cut up all those 620 sucked but it had to be done. Heres a hint of what may get underway in a few days....Ill be making cut lines on the roof & buying a few new sawzall & jigsaw blades....:D

HBbedgif.gif

#15 spiffinspudater

spiffinspudater

Troll

• PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  • Cars:78' 620 KC

Posted 16 October 2007 - 07:15 AM

Mike those few days were fun but sad at the same time. Having to cut up all those 620 sucked but it had to be done. Heres a hint of what may get underway in a few days....Ill be making cut lines on the roof & buying a few new sawzall & jigsaw blades....:D

I thought you were supposed to have bought that stuff over the weekend. You are slacking!
For Pictures go to http://javman.net/datsun

#16 Pacific coast Datsun

Pacific coast Datsun

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,866 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 07:18 PM

Ok i spent about an hour on the 620 today & got the cut lines re-marked & got the sawzall & jigsaw out & got the roof removed! I used the big saw to go through the double walled sections & the little one to rip the rest.
Posted Image
Posted Image
The open areas next to the seats will have filler plates welded in [already made] & the same thing on the windshield area....
Posted Image
Posted Image
this is where the seat belts will be anchored. Ill cut a hole & weld in a nut & maybe a brace inside the body...
Posted Image
the old roof...Mike the sunroff will be returned to you @ Reso :D
Posted Image
the new roof set in place. I still need to trim the ends so it'll sit flush. Basically it'll overlap the existing /remaining roof section & brackets will be welded in so the roof can be bolted in place....
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
I also plan on removing the rain gutters & welding the door frames onto the roof & A pillar.

HBbedgif.gif

#17 spiffinspudater

spiffinspudater

Troll

• PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  • Cars:78' 620 KC

Posted 16 October 2007 - 07:21 PM

DUDE!!! So sick! Looks good already. I dont have the kahunas to do something like that to mine. I cant wait to see it in person. When you have some time in the day light I would love to see a more full view and see how the body lines came out.
For Pictures go to http://javman.net/datsun

#18 Pacific coast Datsun

Pacific coast Datsun

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,866 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 07:41 PM

Will do. I have alot of trimming & grinding to do so i'll get a better side angle pic. I did sit in the cab after the roof was off & it felt good :D

HBbedgif.gif

#19 copacetickid

copacetickid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Cars:'79 620 Long Bed

Posted 16 October 2007 - 10:23 PM

looks great! love the teal instrument panel.

Posted Image

what's that center console out of?

#20 tnip

tnip

• PipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts
  • Cars:'71 521

Posted 16 October 2007 - 10:39 PM

haha, if i didn't know better i would think you were having a datto meet at your house... 620 looks awesome man. love the idea of a hard top convert. i've always loved those rally style mirrors, where'd you get that one? is it really much more useful? that aspect doesn't matter much cause i love the look, as long as it's reflective it'll be useful.. haha. have you figured out what kind of latches you're gonna use? if you haven't considered it, i'll recommend the latches out of a miata, on the soft top. my dad's got one and those latches are nice, very adjustable for a good tight latch and they sorta lock when they're latched, the factory miata hardtop only uses four of them, i think. the soft top just has the two at the front and that thing feels so strongly attached when they're locked in, obviously yours isn't gonna be on and off as often as a soft top would be, but still it's nice to be able to do it real quick. you could even set it up where you can secure the top in the bed and that would make it simple. also are you gonna lose the side windows or you gonna open up the track after you weld it up and make it so the door can still be opened when they're up? i say a truck with no top for sale on ebay one time and the passenger window was broken because he didn't do that when he welded the window frame to the a-pillar and somebody opened the door real hard and broke the window off ha.

keep it up man. LOVE IT.
geez, i need to learn how to weld.