VG30E swap questions.

thisisastickup

I am currently "finishing" up a vg swap many years in the making. I'd be happy to help with anything I can. Just pm me.

A few things I can add... The na z31 trans works fine with the 510 shaft, it will need to be shortened (replace U-joints at the same time).

Using a 87-88 ECU and harness (get same year harness and ECU) would be recommended seeing as some features were an "add on" in the earlier cars, later to be incorporated inside the ecu.

I would use a 200sx intake due to ease of installation. I am using a pathinder intake. Few additional things to do to use one of these.

I have attempted to contact teamthump previously to no avail. Carter with vg30.com is one of the coolest guys I have ever dealt with, and can say they make quality parts. No issues at all.

The engine can be installed from above with the trans connected. You will have to put the car on jack stands, and have at least one or two people help. Doing it this way will require you to take the shifter off and wrap the end with heavy towels as to not scratch the firewall.

You will have an issue at full lock turning right as stated on vg30.com. I was able to grind the starter and mounting plate so the issue was completely eliminated. Not really that big of a deal.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am currently "finishing" up a vg swap many years in the making. I'd be happy to help with anything I can. Just pm me.

A few things I can add... The na z31 trans works fine with the 510 shaft, it will need to be shortened (replace U-joints at the same time).

Using a 87-88 ECU and harness (get same year harness and ECU) would be recommended seeing as some features were an "add on" in the earlier cars, later to be incorporated inside the ecu.

I would use a 200sx intake due to ease of installation. I am using a pathinder intake. Few additional things to do to use one of these.

I have attempted to contact teamthump previously to no avail. Carter with vg30.com is one of the coolest guys I have ever dealt with, and can say they make quality parts. No issues at all.

The engine can be installed from above with the trans connected. You will have to put the car on jack stands, and have at least one or two people help. Doing it this way will require you to take the shifter off and wrap the end with heavy towels as to not scratch the firewall.

You will have an issue at full lock turning right as stated on vg30.com. I was able to grind the starter and mounting plate so the issue was completely eliminated. Not really that big of a deal.

Have you figured out the wiring yet? I am partway through my VG swap.

I am installing a VG33 using the Team Thump mounts and the intake and exhaust manifolds from a 200SX. I have the 1987 200SX wiring harness and ECU. I have not started on the wiring and I feel this will be the hardest part.

Does anyone know which trans mount works with the Team Thump Trans cross member? I need to get one.

From expereince, its not the difference between na and turbo z31 trans working with the 510 shaft. Its the year and model of the z31 donor being used. A 2plu2, 2 seater turbo and na all have different shaft od. Same non keyed 24 pline shaft just different diameters. Im at that part right now and its screwed. Trying to chase down a 2 plus 2 and a 2 seater shafts just to verify the slip yoke fits

Have you figured out the wiring yet? I am partway through my VG swap.

I am installing a VG33 using the Team Thump mounts and the intake and exhaust manifolds from a 200SX. I have the 1987 200SX wiring harness and ECU. I have not started on the wiring and I feel this will be the hardest part.

Does anyone know which trans mount works with the Team Thump Trans cross member? I need to get one.

I'm sure I can help with any questions you may have. I myself know enough to survive with regards to wiring, but was blessed with an aerospace engineer for a father, which comes in very handy at times.

That being said, I am going quite overkill on the wiring. I kept the rear harness and the under dash harness. I put in a 22 circuit fuse box from here http://stores.homestead.com/ez2wire/-strse-1682/EZ22-22-Circuit-Universal/Detail.bok then deleted all the unused wires from the engine harness and re ran the grounds (kind of shotty from the factory IMO).

It is a very good idea to start with an uncut harness if you can. Really makes the world of difference. Trying to splice a harness with years of "mods" added on makes for a serious nightmare.

I emailed jeff at team thump yesterday and got a reply in a few hours, I'm going to be going through him for the swap kit. I'll make sure to ask him about the trans mount for you, as I'll need to know as well.

That's great to hear! I've been dreading dealing with the heater hoses. He offered a service where he will cut and flip the pipes so you can use two 90 degree hoses. Both of the odd hoses mentioned on vg30.com are NLA.

I'm sure I can help with any questions you may have. I myself know enough to survive with regards to wiring, but was blessed with an aerospace engineer for a father, which comes in very handy at times.

That being said, I am going quite overkill on the wiring. I kept the rear harness and the under dash harness. I put in a 22 circuit fuse box from here http://stores.homestead.com/ez2wire/-strse-1682/EZ22-22-Circuit-Universal/Detail.bok then deleted all the unused wires from the engine harness and re ran the grounds (kind of shotty from the factory IMO).

It is a very good idea to start with an uncut harness if you can. Really makes the world of difference. Trying to splice a harness with years of "mods" added on makes for a serious nightmare.

That's great to hear! I've been dreading dealing with the heater hoses. He offered a service where he will cut and flip the pipes so you can use two 90 degree hoses. Both of the odd hoses mentioned on vg30.com are NLA.

I have a stock uncut 510 harness that I will be mating with the 1987 200SX VG engine harness. I just need to figure out what to keep and what to get rid of and what hooks up to what.

As for the heater hoses, that looks easy. On mine, I need to cut one of the tubes and then cut the stock 510 hose to make it fit. on the other tube, I am using a tube from my VG30 200sx motor and flipping it over so it points the other way. There are plenty of heaters hoses at the auto parts store that look like they can be cut to fit.

I will try to take some pics and post them soon.

• 2 months later...

I will be running the radiator from a VW Jetta VR6 which also fits great and is designed for a 6 cylinder. The inlets/outlets are on the correct side and there is no radiator cap to get it the way. The VG30 has a filler cap built into the upper neck so you are good there.

Is there a specific year or year range for this radiator? Would it be possible to have you take a few measurements for me? I need to see if this will fit my 521 as well as it did your 510.

Thanks