Radiator for a ka24de???

You can kind of see them in this pic. I wanted them hidden a bit, so I put them on the back of the motor.

If you look against the firewall behind the intake, you can see a bicycle water bottle. That's the overflow. The guy I built this car for owns a bicycle shop, so I just thought it would be cool to use a bottle with his company logo on it for the overflow.

The filler is the red/white cap you see also kind of behind the intake, high against the firewall. It taps into the heater hose by the starter. Also runs to the overflow bottle.

Here is a pic before I did all the powder coating, and you can see it all a little better since it's not so dark in there, lol.

ah ok, I thought so, but wasn't sure.  I didn't see the bottle back there but I saw the red/white cap but didn't want to assume.   So there isn't any problem filling it up without getting air into the system? 

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a little tricky to fill and burp the first time, but I've done them so many times, it only takes a few minutes now. Having the cap that high helps, but it's not quite as easy as having a cap right on the rad itself.

This system works awesome for someone on a budget, (and a few years back when i built it, seemed like the best option at the time). however, If I was doing a swap now a days, I'd probably just buy the new one on ebay, made just for this swap. Just to keep it simple.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

This one looks like a sweet deal too. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-ROW-ALUMINUM-RADIATOR-2X-10-FAN-FITS-68-73-NISSAN-DATSUN-510-KA24DE-KA-SWAP-/400706566865?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d4bf8fad1&vxp=mtr

$155.99 shipped

$_1.JPG

I don't know anything about the seller or the product personally, but it looks pretty cool and comes with a cap on the rad itself.

It's also about the same as my setup, if you factor in that it comes with the fans and the cap location.

The next one I build, I will probably try this set up.

Hey tendril when will you be trying this out? I needed to purchase a rad yesterday. I'm only concerned about the physical fitment. Report back asap!! :D

Also, where do you plan on locating your filler cap? Along the upper rad hose?

If you needed one yesterday I would say go with something proven,

I spent a little less than that rad set up above mentioned. But for the currently unknown. I like it because of the size and will be running a remote T probably in the back near the heater hose above the rad and bleeding nut on thermostat housing

The one creepy linked looks promising as well although I already have a pair of efans. I guess I could sell a pair. The cap being on the rad itself is a plus. The wagon is definately ratsun spec and far from showcar so convenience is definately a priority over hiding stuff and rediculously clean installs.

I don't like having dozens of options. It's intimidating!! Lol!

I helped install one of those on the datsunville strikes again build, I didn't care much for it, but It works for cooling and I believe there was some cutting also unless you space it out about 3/4 in.

Thanks, that's good to know. If I have to cut up the top of the core support to get it to fit, I don't want anything to do with it. I'll just stick the ones I run now, they work awesome.

Keep us informed how the one you ordered works out. It sure looks nice.

Also, sorry I missed you asking about a build thread on that car. Not yet. I have all the pics and such to do it, I just still need to find the time to write it and post a thread on it.

You dont have to cut the top of the core support at all. In fact, you dont need to cut it at all. Its very short at 13 inches tall. But its also very wide. Im currently installing one in my 510 for my CA18DET swap, and I am running my intercooler piping under neath it (mods to the frame rails). I dont actually suggest this radiator too much though, its cheap, the welds are ugly, its a hair bit warped, they paint it in silver... Lives up to being an ebay item.