Rising sun?

sick620

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you really want to do that?

I used a BIG compass with a pencil on mine and slight drew out the circle so I could barely see the pencil lead. then I believe i did a 2inch spacing. But you can do that part trial and error. then tape it off with painters tape with a cunt hair angle to it.

I believe its 12-16 rays or soemthing like that. I forget.

since your rig is red already it should be EZ.

I oainted my hoohood all white then did the red.

but maybe you could just leave your hood red and just add the white.

if you truck has really nice paint its up to you if you want to do this. otherwise just buff it out and youll be happy also.

be honest now I seen 3 hondas in my area with Rising Suns desgns on the hood but black. one Honda S2000 with a trunk lid.

can someone explain to me how they did there rising sun on there hood? im going to do mine. did you just use masking tape or what?

I think there is already a "How to" on this. Search! :fu: Then if you cant find it let me know and I will tell you how to do it rite:D

You got a good start there with the red truck:D I used a 14" Datsun rim for the sun and outlined in pencil. First u need to decide where to put it. I'll show u a pic of my favorite sun that I did.

RiSiNGsUn003.jpg[/img]

This 1 is settup like the traditional flag of Japan. 16 white stripes & 16 red stripes.

I have done some with less rays and smaller suns & thot they looked wrong.

You will need:

pencil

circle for sun (14" Datsun rim works)

Long flexible str8 edge for scribing rays. ( I used a 1.5" x 1/4" cedar slat bout 8' long)

Good masking tape.

It is also good to take the hood off. (less masking)

White Paint (if u have red hood)

MATH SKILLS (this is important to make everything even)

just remeber this formula: Circumference = Diameter X pie

then take the circumference and divide by the # of rays (32)

This will give you the thickness of the rays @ edge of circle.

Layout the rays around the circle

Find center of circle

Draw lines from center point of circle out thru the ray lines you have @ edge of circle towards the edge of hood. ( dont draw thru circle)

Mask & paint.:D

For getting the rays straight and the right distance apart you can also take a full page copy of the flag (like the ones posted above just click fit to page in the properties on your printer), mark the center of the "sun" part and tape it down on your hood where you want the center to be. Then take a straight edge and lay out all the lines.

This way you dont have to do the math or the measuring and marking. Makes the layout a no brainer.

If any one has a stencil for the rising sun I would be interested. It would be nice to have since I make fiberglass parts,I could lay it in my molds,and do the paint before the parts are laid-up. Interested in one for hood and trunklid.

Guest 510kamikazifreak
I just drew the half circle in the middle and measured out even spacing and got the grinder out and took the paint off and hey presto a few months down the track rusting rising sun

IMG_3247.jpg

Now thats Ratsun :D

Rusting rising Ratsun:cool:

Now thats a shifter :blink::cool:

I just drew the half circle in the middle and measured out even spacing and got the grinder out and took the paint off and hey presto a few months down the track rusting rising sun

IMG_3247.jpg

WOW! Now that is fuckin bad-ASS!:D I love that. I really like how the sun is split. Good job and nice Ratsun imagination:cool:

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_3247.jpg

cudos on that:thumbsup:

Does the rust run onto the rest of the hood/paint over time or like after rain? I would think it does.

When I get my 510, I might do the rising sun. I'd like to see one on a carbon fiber hood, with the sun and rays left with the weave showing. The rest being the body color or red or white.

Hey you stole my idea!!!!:D I wanna do my 620 like that, with some flat black accents and the body 2007 mustang grabber orange

the one thing i noticed when i did mine was that the line actully carry thru to the other side.

so the top of the line on the left is the bottom of the line on the right of the center, and then the next bottom made the top of that line and so on and so forth.

I know it sound crazy but it worked out okay for me

briansdatsunpics038-1.jpg

the hole was cut for a diffrent carb set up and i was bored with a flat look it has a zx piece that went in it :lol::lol:

This is one of my biggest pet peeves... When I see people do their rising suns, I see lines that don't "carry through" as Freaky put it. It means they didn't take the time to measure things and plut the lines properly. Here's the pictures I took when I did my first rising sun hood.

Started red so I could lay down and mask off for white "off-rays." Then I layed down a big patch of masking tape that was just slightly larger than the circle I was going to use (cover from a house fan), traced the line and lightly trimmed off the extra tape along the outside of the circle. Then you find your center point and make two lines; one as horizontal as you can get it, one as vertical as you can get it (think a giant plus sign).

What I did then was measure 3" from the center point and mark it on each of the 4 lines. When you then measure the distance BETWEEN the 3" marks, divide by 2 and you have the next point for a ray. Follow that as many times as you want, and you'll get smaller/more rays as you go. This way, they'll all be the same size and pass through the center of the sun.

Quick MSPaint I did to show a little bit of what I mean with measuring.

sun.jpg

You can see the Black plus sign to start. The dark red slashes are the measurements from the center point. The light blue mark is the measurement between the 3" marks. The green circle is the center of the light blue measurement, and also the next "ray" for the rising sun. Then I brought it out again and made the light blue octagon instead of the square. This measures the next set of rays, which is where I typically stop. You can go out further and measure another set, and it will look more like truck here: http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z229/DatDoug/RiSiNGsUn003.jpg

Masked and lined out, ready to mask rays:

02-17-08_1458.jpg

Close up of the sun/my measurements. You can see small red slashes where I was checking out the next sets.

02-17-08_1459.jpg

Fully masked, ready for paint.

02-17-08_1514.jpg

First light coat

02-17-08_1523.jpg

Heavy coat

02-17-08_1554.jpg

Finished product with ZX hood scoop painted back. You can see where bits of the paint peeled away. I cut too deep through the original circle, so it peeled back. The next few hoods I've done, I've cut shallow and haven't had the same issue again.

02-17-08_1704.jpg

This is one of my biggest pet peeves... When I see people do their rising suns, I see lines that don't "carry through" as Freaky put it. It means they didn't take the time to measure things and plut the lines properly.

I noticed the same thing when I did mine. I went with the actual 16 rays of the flag, but the concept is the same. I made measurements where the black area is in the center 'pizza'. The end product is still a little off, but it was my execution, not the design.

297_9779.jpg