Fisch's 1959 Datsun 1000 project! Peeking in the oilpan!

fisch

I got to agree with everyone, that is a nice score and it is amazing that theres not much if any rust to worry about. congrats on a great find.

heres another link for the rubber, they have been around for years and sell all kinds of differant style and shape.

http://www.steelerubber.com

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

great find. what engine is in there?

This little dude has a C-type engine. 1000cc and a fat 37HP!!!! From what I've read it should have a 5.125X1 rear end!

It is a generator car and is Positive ground.

It looks a lot like a Austin Healey Bug eye sprite engine. But is a japanese improvement based in a liscensed design. I am hopeful there is some cross over with the gaskets and stuff! (though eventually I plan on an l-18 that I am making pretty on the stand)

I have a feeling it will clean up pretty well. I even see original stickers on some of the parts like the oil bath filter. I'll take some before and after photos when I get it cleaned up.

9722_1231233784761_1346620620_30670.jpg

This little dude has a C-type engine. 1000cc and a fat 37HP!!!! From what I've read it should have a 5.125X1 rear end!

It looks a lot like a Austin Healey Bug eye sprite engine. But is a japanese improvement based in a liscensed design. I am hopeful there is some cross over with the gaskets and stuff! (though eventually I plan on an l-18 that I am making pretty on the stand)

I have a feeling it will clean up pretty well. I even see original stickers on some of the parts like the oil bath filter. I'll take some before and after photos when I get it cleaned up.

Other then that, great buy dude its in very good shape.

How bout an R16? might fit a little better then the L18, plenty coming out of roadsters lately for SR swaps.

I am sorry to sat this Fisch but... It will cost up to 2k for a new front custom window. I know because before buying my 620. I was going to buy a 1200 with a broken windshield. Before I bought it the 1200. I looked high and low and I could not find a new one or a used windshield for the 1200. So I asked how much for a new custom one. 2,500$ :(

Good luck man

Edited by Motavated
I am sorry to sat this Fisch but... It will cost up to 2k for a new front custom window. I know because before buying my 620. I was going to buy a 1200 with a broken windshield. Before I bought it the 1200. I looked high and low and I could not find a new one or a used windshield for the 1200. So I asked how much for a new custom one. 2,500$ :(

Good luck man

but your also in the land of double prices (cali)

Other then that, great buy dude its in very good shape.

How bout an R16? might fit a little better then the L18, plenty coming out of roadsters lately for SR swaps.

Ive thought about a roadster drivetrain actually! Could you measure yours for me? All the way to the sidedraft air filter. I think it is a sexy motor with the finned valve cover.

Though my L-18 is Ol skool cool with cyclone headers, offy intake and a cam. Thought it fit the ol skool feel of this 59!

I don't have a lot of spare cash after buying and shipping this puppy, (The fun money account needs to recover!) But there was a guy north of me selling a 69 roadster that ran but was rotted out for $500 or trade. Maybe I have something he'd trade for?

EZ this genie came out of Milan New Mexico. I found a CL ad for it, while surfing the country. They pulled the ad soon after and were gonna go Ebay, but changed their minds and offered it to me first. I jumped on it!

Good luck man

OWCH!! That is a little scary. You know I was just looking at the 521 window. It is way bigger of course, but the 59 glass is pretty flat top to bottom And curves just a little toward the a pillars. It almost looks like it would fit within the 521 glass and lay flat on it. I've been reading about how to cut your own window glass (Daunting, yes, but possible.) Might be worth trying on a few different makes. The taper also remindes me of VW bug glass and rear windshields on alot of cars. As long as the glass I have stays together long enough to use as a template. (Though I guess I could always make another template out of sheet metal, or even Lexan.)

Awesome find!! it is actually bittersweet that the car is in great shape, I really wanted to see it ratsun'd out like your original plans, but it is also very cool that its in such good shape.

I hate to say it though, your fun money account better learn to grow up quick if you plan on restoring it, that is going to cost way more than ratsuning it.

good luck and i can't wait to see more of this thing!!

is there a code or markings on the front windshield, usallay there in the corner or center, if so, you can go to a auto glass store and they might be able to tell you what other windshields will interchange.

if you have no luck, post up that info and I'll check with a couple old autoglass shop across the river that has old interchange books that might be able to help.

you fitting an L20B in there? because when i saw that engine bay, my first thoughts were immediatelly A15(may be my 1200 prejudice speaking though)

OWCH!! That is a little scary. You know I was just looking at the 521 window. It is way bigger of course, but the 59 glass is pretty flat top to bottom And curves just a little toward the a pillars. It almost looks like it would fit within the 521 glass and lay flat on it. I've been reading about how to cut your own window glass (Daunting, yes, but possible.) Might be worth trying on a few different makes. The taper also remindes me of VW bug glass and rear windshields on alot of cars. As long as the glass I have stays together long enough to use as a template. (Though I guess I could always make another template out of sheet metal, or even Lexan.)

Be kinda cool to make it a sleeper with lexan windows and a badass engine, I'll get you those measurements tonight, I've got them sitting on my camera from where I took references for the L swap plan I have.

Edited by FoxyRoadster
typo

I won't do lexan unless I have no choice, because it isn't DOT approved and the MA inspection dudes will call me on it!

with your artistic skill and a dremal tool you could engrave the DOT stamp on the lexan and make it look factory

is there a code or markings on the front windshield, usallay there in the corner or center, if so, you can go to a auto glass store and they might be able to tell you what other windshields will interchange.

if you have no luck, post up that info and I'll check with a couple old autoglass shop across the river that has old interchange books that might be able to help.

Really!! Dude I had no idea they could do that. I bet there is something close, probably something from england or Germany. I ran out and grabbed the markings right away.

The windshield says 'Safety' then has a symbol under that, then the numbers 'P-58-K' and under that 'AS1'.

All of the side glass has the same wording. It is flat glass and I need the two triangle windows in the rear doors and the passenger-side rear roll up window glass. The wording is- 'Temperlite' there is a symbol under that then the letters "S-58-K" and under that "AS2".

Are these the right numbers or do I need to start digging under the gasket?

How AMAZING would it be if there was something else out there that would work!!! Hopefully something plentiful like a VW beetle!

How do we look these #'s up? i

I am not 100% if those are the # but I'll write down that info and see what they come up with and get back with you.

if that doesn't work.

I use to work construction years ago and one of the customers was a retired millonaire that owns or use to, owned a auto glass fap business in Texas, I'll contact him and see if that opens up any avenues.

Geez!!! 3 pages already just to get caught up??!!! Thanks for the heads up on the thread Scott....it probably would have been 6 pages before I came across it! :)

Awesome car!! Congrats!

I see no problem with keeping the 6 lug with discs :)

For the window rubber....... Scott's Old Auto Rubber in Australia. Google will get you there just fine :)

The R16 and the L18 are nearly identical lengths. When measuring for my NL, I found out I could go with either, but the roadster engine won just on the cool factor. There are some other downsides to the R16, ....so, considering you already have the L18.....I'd go that route. The R is shorter, but I don't think you'll have a hood clearance issue. Everything is on the same side on the R...starter, carbs, exhaust....all on the driver's side competing with the steering. At least with the L, you don't have to deal with the starter. You could also see about a custom valve cover for the L......one with fins :)

Congrats again!!!