slodat's 510

slodat

'72 510. Had it since May 2006. Looks like all hell, runs like a mother!

Front Suspension:

280ZX struts shortened to fit MR2 AGX adjustable inserts

T3 coil overs, 225# springs

T3 camber plates & T/C rods

ES LCA bushings

'69 crossmember

25mm sway bar

Rear Suspension:

Top Motoring 200# coil overs

ES control arm & mustache bar bushings

Brakes:

Front: 280ZX calipers, zinc washed drilled & slotted rotors

Rear: 200SX calipers, zinc washed drilled & slotted rotors

Porterfield R4S pads

Braided stainless lines

280ZX master cylinder

Russell speed bleeders

Drivetrain:

L20b - 1mm over forged pistons, polished crank, W53 round port closed chamber head

Shorty header

Weber 32/36 DGAV-IC on Offy intake

Electric fuel pump thanks to the Iceman

Megasquirt II v3.0 ECU w/relay board currently running spark only

EDIS ignition - NO DIZZY

Fiero radiator

Gear reduction ZX starter

Saturn 140a alternator

200SX dogleg trans FOR SALE!

Suby R160 3.70 clutch LSD

Before Canby:

Suzuki GSX-R750 ITB's on custom intake manifold (in progress)

Paint the engine bay

Very low mile 620 5 speed (sittin on the floor)

Roadster clutch

2.25" fabricated exhaust (steel in the garage)

5 lug conversion running old school MOMO 5 stars and 225's in the back

Stereo is all bought and in the waiting

(3) Elemental Designs 10's powered by JL 1000/1

JL 300/4 and components

Kenwood in dash DVD

A little futher down the road:

Paxton Novi 1200 blower running ~7#

Look! No Dizzy!

Photo_012107_001.jpg

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yea, but if you pull the dizzy, can you drive it?? :)

As far as the stereo and interior in general, I'm undecided on how far I want to go. Current thought is the double din DVD in the stock dash area, just going to extend it a little. Goal is to look stock(ish) on the deck install.

Subs and amps will be in place of the rear seat, a somewhat stealthy setup, nothing visible through the windows. This way I still have an empty trunk for trips and such.

It's going to add a lot of weight, probably 200lbs. Which is fine, it's not a race car, it's a driver and I like the tunes. Plus, I can add power to offset the weight.

I love that engine bay!! Dam you guys and your megasquirt.:P thats it I'm gunna sell some more stuff to fund it, speaking of money :) haha no rush dude, I just couldn't resist. I'm glad that fuel pump is working for you. I found the other low pressure one the next day I was at my shop, its funny how it always works out that way. If that one works I'm not sweating it though.

I cleaned the engine bay a little bit tonight. Really surprised me how much a little 409 did for the way the engine bay looked.

Fuel pump is working great! It was nice to drive the car all weekend! Thanks Iceman!

is that the most recent pic of the eng bay? I thought I read somewhere that you cleaned up all the wiring all ready. Not sure which one of the 64,001 datsun forums I read it on. :) Don't lose my loctite......I'm assuming that since you're driving it, you did actually lock the pulley in place. I guess it's captured on the backside.......would make a cool mark in the hood if it flew up at about 7 grand :) I wouldn't trust the machine work on it!!! Maybe you should mount it up on mine for a period of testing....like until the vg goes in.....say about a year...give or take 2 years :)

Yes, that is the most recent photo. I have not done the wiring yet. I'm waiting until I have the EFI installed, so I know what needs to go where. Then I'll sort all the wiring out.

The loctite seems to have worked. I didn't weld it or anything yet. It looks good thus far.

is that the most recent pic of the eng bay? I thought I read somewhere that you cleaned up all the wiring all ready. Not sure which one of the 64,001 datsun forums I read it on. :) Don't lose my loctite......I'm assuming that since you're driving it, you did actually lock the pulley in place. I guess it's captured on the backside.......would make a cool mark in the hood if it flew up at about 7 grand :) I wouldn't trust the machine work on it!!! Maybe you should mount it up on mine for a period of testing....like until the vg goes in.....say about a year...give or take 2 years :)

I thought you did the machine work :confused: :eek: :eek: :D

I thought you did the machine work :confused: :eek: :eek: :D

I did....that's why I was cracking on it! Hey...just cause I gots me a lathe, it doesn't mean I'm a machinist! Yesterday I could barely spell machinist....today I are one! :)

That loctite is supposed to take about 400deg to get it to release. I don't think your crank pulley is ever going to see that temp! Besides...it was pretty much a press fit anyway wasn't it?

I am using EDIS. MSII v3.0 only has provisions for driving one coil. EDIS is the way to go.

Are you sure? I agree that edis is the way to go, but...

"Because it doesn't need a camshaft position sensor, EDIS is a particularly easy way to replace distributor ignitions when retrofitting older engines with a modern computer programmable ignition, but we now recommend directly driving the coil packs from the MS ECU using the VB921 FET's. This does away with the EDIS module, so all thats needed is the 36-1 wheel, a VR sensor and the coil packs."

This is a direct quote from the MS website.

Here's what I'm sure of. I've done two MegaSquirt conversions - my L20b and a VG30E, both in 510s. In trying to sort out the details on the ignition setup on the VG30E we burned up a couple VB921's. I have the VG30E running now, and I am the one who has done the leg work to get the documentation updated. Second to that, my car is running great with the EDIS setup.

With all that said, you are correct and I intend to eliminate the EDIS module and let MS do all of the work. The change you are quoting is a very recent change on the MS site.

So, yes and yes, but not just this second!

I am extremely happy with my MS system and I don't even have fuel just yet! I will have fuel within the next few weeks though!

Cook - I hope that helps. The Iceman and I are pals and I'm happy to assist in any way I can. I may actually be up in that area this weekend...

Question - can you post a URL to where that quote comes from?

http://www.megasquirt.info/

I apologize if i sounded like an ass, it was not my intent. Ice and I are pals too, and I actually look forward to talking with you about the Megasquirt. I'm sure ice does too. But anyhow, above is the link. You may have to do some pointing and clicking to get to the edis info. I was more or less just curious as to the most effective way to run EDIS is.

Ok. Here's the thing. That is for MSExtra firmware on a MS1 ECU. I have a MSII ECU running the standard code. MSII offers a ton of new features. MSII is no longer being actively developed by B&G because MSII supercedes it.

Wow you guys are having tons of fun without me... what's that all about? I like how you guys are being civil in your conversation, I'm happy :D I think that is the toughest thing about forums. Its hard to hear there tone of voice because there not really talking :) I was hoping you guys would teem up and figure all this shit out so you could teach me :) I'm kind of a slow learner when a computer is hooked to my education.... haha

I don't understand the different boards and vs... please tell me the pro's and con's :) Just "pretend" I'm a little slow :)

MSI and MSII are the processor. II is the newest. I has been around longer. The "extra" code is out there for both processors. MSI extra has a TON of features. MSII extra is rather new.

MSI standard code doesn't have ignition support - fuel only. MSII std has it. MSI extra has it. MSII extra has even more than MSII std.

Seeing a pattern?

MSI is no longer developed by B&G - the peeps that design the stuff.

MSII is what's current and what I am running and what I recommend.

MSII has CAN (Car Area Network) support which will allow for some amazing stuff when the expansion boards come out. Stuff like 16 channels of input/output. A router board to allow sequential injection. TONS of trick ass shit.

I have MSII with a v3.0 circuit board with EDIS. It fucking rocks!

http://www.megasquirt.info/

I apologize if i sounded like an ass, it was not my intent. Ice and I are pals too, and I actually look forward to talking with you about the Megasquirt. I'm sure ice does too. But anyhow, above is the link. You may have to do some pointing and clicking to get to the edis info. I was more or less just curious as to the most effective way to run EDIS is.

No worries man. Not a problem. I didn't take it as bad at all. I'm all about getting MegaSquirt in dattos! I'm down to help as well.

I'm picking up a manifold next week. So, I'll have injection going soon. ITB's are a little further down the road.