KA24DE Info for carb lovers

Cuts metal like mad

So I've had this idea in my head for a while and thanks the Justin (datsunoob), I've been able to experiment make the theories reality.

The frontier KA24DE has a distributor mounting identical to the L, Z, and KA24E, as well as external oil pump, so this made me curious as to how easy it would be to use an L series dizzy in order to make running carbs that much easier... sure EDIS is possible, but this is MUCH simpler and cheaper (RATSUN!). The frontier KA also uses a single belt to run the water pump, alternator and crank... MORE EASY. I had a junk L 16 sitting in the corner for quite some time and just woke up one day and said what the hell... heres the result.

L series dizzy slides right into the frontier timing cover, perfectly as a matter of fact, as if the nissan engineers were thinking the same thing I was.

P5240001.jpg

P5240004.jpg

P5240002.jpg

So thats all well and good, but now you have to make a custom drive spindle right?? HELL NO! Believe it or not the L16 dizzy drive spindle slips right in lines up, and is EXACTLY the right length!

P5240006.jpg

P5240005.jpg

So there you have it... and now the cats out of the bag. I think this should be stickied! :D

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DatsuNoob

I want to say yes, but I'm not sure if all the bolt holes correspond between the 2, and I think they're shaped slightly different for the external oil pump on a Frontier. Cant remember now how the dizzy mounts up on the 240 one. Sorry not too much help here since I sold most of my unused 240 stuff a while ago to some kid looking for a rebuild project. Lets get a pic of the 240sx timing cover up so we can compare. It's kinda bugging me now, since I cant remember.

Guest DatsuNoob

Ok, and the 240 runs a cam driven diz out of the head, correct? If so, in theory he may have to swap the head, to run the external oil pump and truck style dist, but I'm pretty sure the timing chain assembly doesnt "track", so that may not work out. I thought I read somewhere that there was an offset. We can flip through my books tomorrow and make the comparison, but I think the timing assys are different, which to me, sounds like more trouble than just running a Frontier motor w/240 cams and modifying an X-member (steering link if necessary) .

I know it's a dif path and I can appreciate the one your trying to take, being so simple esp for people who hate wiring. Should be noted though this guys is running a carbed ka with stock ecu.

http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=14725

How though Idk, I wish he would get his friend to do a write up on the wiring.

• 2 weeks later...

The wiring should be pretty easy.

I did something like this with a Z over the weekend.

I used the infinity M30 ECU.

I used the 83' 280zx turbo dizzy to get the cas signal. hooked up the the two grounds in the M30 engine harness. Hooked up the ignition coil and igniter. put power to the White with black strip wire(it has a crimped splice I will take a pic). That coil makes an awesome blue spark by the way.

The car fired right up. Only trouble I had was finding all the ground terminal rings in the harness.

-Avery