Project "Against the grain" turbo720 build

nis720

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Connect the outlet from the BOV to the inlet of the turbo. This will serve two purposes. It will get rid of the 'noise' and will recirculate and save the boost in a loop preventing the turbo from slowing down so much between shifts. Everyone loves the BOV whistle but really it's just wasting boost and adds to turbo lag.

Edited by datzenmike
Connect the outlet from the BOV to the inlet of the turbo. This will serve two purposes. It will get rid of the 'noise' and will recirculate and save the boost in a loop preventing the turbo from slowing down so much between shifts. Everyone loves the BOV whistle but really it's just wasting boost and adds to turbo lag.

The TurboXs BOV I currently have is not recirc type.... but it was free. :D

I want to get a Synapse BOV down the road.

Here's a small vid of the start up last night at 12am... and today (after my test drive).

Well I drove the truck some more after I burned a tune on the ECU (Gotta love nistune) for the 460 injectors and Z32 MAFS. It iddles abit rich but in boost it's just right. I pushed it abit more today but since I don't have a flex pipe, the exhaust bangs the X-member and I think the heat shield on the cat is rattleling as well. Saturday I'm taking it to my friends shop (20 miles) to get the flex pipe done.

hey lookin real good. where did you purchase nistune? who installed it in the ecu? i'm lookin into buying it for my ca18det.

I purchased it from http://www.autovaughnperformance.com

I installed it myself, but you can have them install it for $50 if you want to avoid the hassle. I messed up one ECU before I got it right (good thing I had spares).

very nyce! I like (in a borat voice)

How much boost are you running? Clearance between master cylinder and turbine housing looks pretty close. Is it getting pretty hot? How are you measuring a/f ratios?

I'm only running 7lbs (since the motor is stock w/unknown milage) But I'm already itching for more. I think I'll go to 10lbs pretty soon. It gets hot but the thermo tape seems to keep it under control, at least till I get around to making a heat shield. I'm running a AEM UEGO, and the AFR under boost are good (11's).

IMG_0360a.jpg

After much searching (and no help from 2 Autozones) I found the infamous BKR7E's at Napa.

IMG_2136a.jpg

IMG_2139a.jpg

When I pulled the stock plugs here is what I found.... what do you guys think?

IMG_2122a.jpg

IMG_2124a.jpg

IMG_2123a.jpg

what is soo special about them? i work at oreilly and if they are super good i will keep an eye out for them

Nissan motors should be running NGK in the proper heat range, that's all there is to it.

The stock plugs you took out look like they are or were being leaned out and hot at some point or time. Not MAJORLY, none the less.

I think autozone are full of idiots!

I went to 2 different ones (Compton and Santa Fe Springs) and had the models of cars that have these stock... but they just don't carry them at all anymore, no fault of the employees. All they carried was AC Delco and some other ones.

The lady at Napa found them right away. First she looked for the them by the make and found a few options, then I gave her the model number I had (6097) and she was able to crossrefference them to the new part number (4644).

• Like 1
Nissan motors should be running NGK in the proper heat range, that's all there is to it.

The stock plugs you took out look like they are or were being leaned out and hot at some point or time. Not MAJORLY, none the less.

For the most part they were mostly run in N/A.... I've only put about 50-60 miles on them with the turbo. But lately it seems to iddle lean, when I start the truck up it will turn off till it's warm. It's all part of the tune (or lack there of... I just got in the ballpark) so hopefully I can find a Dyno close to me that can tune it properly.

Today I drove the truck to my friends shop to get the O2 sensor installed on the downpipe.

IMG_2148a.jpg

IMG_2149a.jpg

I decided to build a boost leak detector using parts I had in my garage and a cap I got from home depot.

Materials:

-Leftover 3" pipe

-Valve stem from my spare ATV wheel

-Cap for 3" pipe

IMG_2151a.jpg

This is the end result.

IMG_2152a.jpg

Classy ratsun stuff right there.

For posterity I was a plumber for a while, my pops owns a company. They make test caps with a schrader valve built in to test.

Your way is cool and works well I'm sure, just saying a cap with the valve eliminates a step to the process.