viper chasing a datsun video

djmoreron

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what does which weigh? the datsun z could be as low as 2000lbs, and the viper closer to 3000. the datsun is prolly sporting a v8, turbo L6 or rb26det. any of those combos will walk away from the viper!! not to mention the exellent setup and skill of the datsun driver. check hybridz photo gallery, he may be on there.

haha, found out all the info.... just to the right you see the name of the guy who posted the video, darthviper. just below click on more and you get this description:

"In-car footage from the last weekend of roadracing at Mosport in the 2006 CASC Ontario GT Championships. Ahead of me (unfortunately for the whole race) is very fast - Buick powered Datsun 240Z. We are both lapping the field."

:D good eye datzenmike

Damn I joined U tube to ask a stupid Q.

I've been there several times as far back as the '60s. Saw Minis eat Cobras and Mustangs through Moss corner with one rear inside wheel off the ground. Later in the '70s I actually lived about 7 miles across the fields. Here's a story, can't resist.

One day in my youth (another word for should have known better) I was out out road running ( a local term for havin' a few cold ones) with my best friend Garth Brooks. (not the guy who sings, another Garth from Port Perry) Had my green '57 Chevy and it was '72.

Anyway, there's lots of side roads to explore out Mosport way. It's remote so the noise doesn't bother anyone. It was overcast but a perfect day for... road running, what else? A privilege of youth. Well in due course we ended up driving past the main gate, to-day it is probably well marked and a paved road, but back then it was easy to miss. There were many entrances on all four side roads but the main one was open and no one around. What were we to do? In my youth I was more for doing, thinking was for later, so I drove in on the sandy road. We came to a metal culvert that goes under the track to the timing tower and pits, but to the left was a ramp that we drove up and suddenly found ourselves on the track!! Several things happened at once. It started to rain, we rolled onto the start line, there were workers to our right painting the fence or working on the track, who, looked up and saw us just as we saw them, and started to yell at us.

Here is where time sort of slows down... the workers are running toward us and I look at Garth and floor it. For several glorious seconds the 283 4bbl Holley roars and tires spinning we launch off the start line, punching each gear on the Corvette Muncie 4 spd. This is it! One chance to rip around a race track! The vacuum wipers speeding up as manifold vacuum rises between gear changes. I pull over to the left to cut across to the right turn at the end of the pits and take some of the sharpness out of it...

Maybe if it wasn't raining, or maybe if my '57 wasn't a top heavy street cruiser going almost 80, or maybe if I had thought about this a bit more than I did we would have made a better job of that turn, or not been there. As it was, things were out of my hands by now and the car began a long slow slide for hundreds of feet along the five? lane track. Finally stopping, facing the way we had come from, engine throbbing at idle, rain on the roof.

Garth didn't argue as I slid it into gear and started back the way we had come. The rain was just a shower and letting up as we neared the timing tower but there was no one there waiting for us! The gate was open so we left the way we came in and started to rip up the side road laughing like fools.

We hadn't gone a quarter mile when we had to stop for a piss and stood on the side of the road looking across the fields. A few hundred yards away could be seen the end of the back stretch where cars slow through several curves before entering the starting line and pits. There was a work truck parked across the track with three or four workers with shovels and rakes just standing there.... waiting. What?

Waiting for us to come barreling around the corner and stop us! And here we were outside the fence, having a beer, and pissing in their general direction while yelling insults they couldn't hear.

Well that's my race track experience, just glad to be around to tell it, hope I didn't bore you all with this story. Being crazy when your young is a privilege of youth, if no harm is done.

I don't miss it as much as my 340 Dart. The good thing is there are lots of fun memories that came about because of it and that's what counts. Like the time it stuck in reverse one night, and Garth sat in the back seat yelling directions as we backed 15 miles home down dark, narrow back roads... or the time another buddy and I rolled his '65 'stang... or the time Garth fell out of my van while taking a piss out the door because we wouldn't stop, and we ran over his arm... or a high speed pursuit by the police in my Dart (with... Garth) ... (but that's another story) Kid stuff, funny then, but maybe a bit less so now. No lasting harm done to anyone, (just property damage), but could have been worse. Now it's all just memories. (sigh)

"Yeah, but now Im gettin old, dont wear underwear

I dont go to church and I dont cut my hair

But I can go to movies and see it all there

Just the way that it used to be"

Pencil thin mustache

By: jimmy buffett

A great song for those of us who grew up with '50s television and '60s high school and remember when...

everyone loves jimmy! I cant remember anyone who didnt like A jimmy buffet song. peace.

I actually went to one of his concerts once. Great fun in an outside venue sitting on the 'grass' with the other 'parrot heads and land sharks' and singing one of his 'sensitive' songs that brings a tear to your eye. Great fun, just had to get up and dance too!!

Just realized I drove there in my 521 with two other people crammed in the tiny cab. Ha ha Great fun indeed!

good stories mike :).. alot of the time if i see that someone made a huge post i may choose to skim through it... i always read every word mike posts..

Thanks Josh, everyone has a story in them. Garth is alive and well and living near Gore's Landing, Ontario and did more than most to help prevent me growing up prematurely lol. I always drop by and visit every year or so and conversation always turns to the old days. Sometimes he admits he doesn't remember, possibly from the rough life he led after we went our own ways. Hanging around strippers (lived with a few), bikers (and bike accidents), heavy drinking... you name it. He's semi retired/disability/whatever on a small hobby farm with his second wife he met in the States. Would he change anything if he could... I doubt it. As Bob Hope used to say... thanks for the memories.