What have you done to your 1200 lately

OpelWagenGT

12 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

I dig that grill emblem, but damn are they expensive... 

Tech Wiki - Facelift : Datsun 1200 Club

I actually like the facelift look one more personally, but yeah super expensive. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/374296171601

$310 is a bit much for a piece of plastic ($280 but sold out other places).

Of course as I'm a cheap bastard I'd likely just model it up and 3D print a replica of it if I was so inclined.

Could do this one of course too....

Sunny Truck Grill Emblem : Datsun 1200 Club

Or just to be different do this style, which wouldn't be too hard to get family in Taiwan to send me.

25950.jpg

Edited by Dguy210
  • Like 2
  • Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 5/19/2023 at 1:38 AM, Dguy210 said:

I actually like the facelift look one more personally, but yeah super expensive. 

Me too. Just never could find one for sale when I was looking. 

On 5/19/2023 at 1:38 AM, Dguy210 said:

Could do this one of course too....

Sunny Truck Grill Emblem : Datsun 1200 Club

I have one of these brand new, still in the Nissan box, if you decide to go that way. 👍

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I finally have the title in hand, it is insured, and a move permit for July coming soon, so it will be getting registered and on the road in the not to distant future.

Also, now have tunes and a tach setup (done without cutting up the dash), although the rear speaker setup is kinda sketch still. Front speakers are on the kickpanels, current crap radio in the glovebox (very thin single din) and I'll be running usb cable out so that I can just plug in a drive and bam, music (all posted in the 3D thread).

image.jpeg.40d5ddf8138881ab1f983ac233d50e9f.jpeg

image.jpeg.22684b72071b280de2175cff88d411dd.jpeg

Also, been playing with chrome paint on a 3D printed badge (FDM) still considering ordering some conductive paint (expensive) to do electroplating. I also think I've figured out how to replicate the color with some semi-translucent tinted resin but still need to do some tests and buy some dyes. Currently easily good enough for 10 foot but I want to get it looking as close as possible. 

20230604_001656 - Copy.jpg

Edited by Dguy210
  • Like 1
On 6/6/2023 at 6:53 PM, Morrisun said:

Brilliant, so you can make the show on Sunday!

Which show is this? I know KIOS is on Saturday, but what is on Sunday?

EDIT: nevermind figured it out, the one in Tacoma 

Edited by Dguy210
  • Like 1
On 6/6/2023 at 11:02 PM, Dguy210 said:

I finally have the title in hand, it is insured, and a move permit for July coming soon, so it will be getting registered and on the road in the not to distant future.

Also, now have tunes and a tach setup (done without cutting up the dash), although the rear speaker setup is kinda sketch still. Front speakers are on the kickpanels, current crap radio in the glovebox (very thin single din) and I'll be running usb cable out so that I can just plug in a drive and bam, music (all posted in the 3D thread).

image.jpeg.40d5ddf8138881ab1f983ac233d50e9f.jpeg

image.jpeg.22684b72071b280de2175cff88d411dd.jpeg

Also, been playing with chrome paint on a 3D printed badge (FDM) still considering ordering some conductive paint (expensive) to do electroplating. I also think I've figured out how to replicate the color with some semi-translucent tinted resin but still need to do some tests and buy some dyes. Currently easily good enough for 10 foot but I want to get it looking as close as possible. 

20230604_001656 - Copy.jpg

Very Nice! I have a question, what is the measures of the radio delete plate? 

2 hours ago, Derek Harris said:

Very Nice! I have a question, what is the measures of the radio delete plate? 

Do you need the dimensions for a 1200 radio delete plate or a 620 delete plate?

For a 1200 plate I'd have to go back to the file and look as a 1200 delete plate is just a bit smaller than a 620 plate... if you need dimensions for a 620 delete plate I have one right here and the measurements are as follows:

Height is 60.57 mm assume 60.6 mm as is there is some minor warping due to age. Length is 186.5 mm

image.jpeg.fdb8e6c414283868f17a4d4e42ef238e.jpeg

On 6/6/2023 at 6:53 PM, Morrisun said:

Brilliant, so you can make the show on Sunday!

Both cans  were primer . 

We bought every dark green autozone, Oreillys, Ace hardware and Home Depot had ,, none came close enough when sprayed out ,,, ended up satin black . I guess that’s almost a step up from flat black .. 😆 

Edited by bananahamuck
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Now legally registered and with a few miles on the road. Drives nice and straight and very well, the KA has enough power and the car is light enough you can basically take off in any gear without a problem.  

After some testing decided to fab up heatshields for the exhaust manifold and brake master cylinder. Definitely helped cut down on heat in the engine bay and temp of the brake fluid reservoirs. Having done some driving, to do items include getting a different speedo gear for the transmission as it is off about 20%, trying to find a quieter electric fuel pump(s) and working out all the various noises.

It is fast, loud, and rides like a race car (i.e., really feel the bumps due to the stiffening needed for the rear). Even with a cherry bomb as resonator and turbo muffler it still has a louder than I like exhaust note, I'll probably spring for a more restrictive and new muffler or put in a second one if I can find some space to cram it in as everything is already very tightly packed on this car. 

Diff seems a bit noisy especially when going downhill in gear (checked trans and diff fluid) and diff doesn't get hot.  I've got a spare 510 wagon diff so might just swap it out tomorrow as I have the day off and see if that makes a difference. I also have a spare 5spd trans (actually for the 510) if that turns out to be the problem.  

No images as Ratsun is not cooperating today. It verks...

image.thumb.jpeg.2806be54c1e04c275819823224955884.jpeg

KAb110 heatshields - Copy.jpg

Edited by Dguy210
  • Like 1

What I am doing lately is lightening the load of Datsun 1200 parts.

IF you are going to be AT Powerland this coming Saturday and Sunday and need 1200 parts,

send me a message and I will see if I have what you are looking for..?

I have USED parts..

See you there.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

In the tank, or external? If external, it may just be how you have it mounted? A nice squishy rubber mount seems to quiet them down sometimes.

Lol, Morrisun and I had this same discussion on Sunday actually.

External and already rubber mounted, low pressure/high volume feeding a high pressure FI pump (setup like the 80s VWs sort of did it) with a very large fuel filter as a surge tank. Both mounted to an aluminum mount as a whole unit and with a HDPE plastic shielding to protect it and tucked up in that spot in front of the rear passenger wheel.

In the tank would be the real solution... but I'm cheap and lazy so I'm probably going to screw around with some other sub-optimal solutions first.

On 7/11/2023 at 4:40 AM, datsunfreak said:

And the quietest. 😁

And... after some thought I do have a solution... gonna build a surge tank and put the pump inside.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

So... instead of changing out the rear differential or troubleshooting the fuel system some more I did this instead. Thanks Morrisun.

Note: I actually bolted this onto a spare trunk lid as I had to drill holes and then swapped the whole lid. 376716406_2159641530906092_2789333037678359769_n.thumb.jpg.56f3a3400f20c86b98a7ba36c763a245.jpg

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2023 at 9:02 PM, Dguy210 said:

So... instead of changing out the rear differential or troubleshooting the fuel system some more I did this instead. Thanks Morrisun.

Note: I actually bolted this onto a spare trunk lid as I had to drill holes and then swapped the whole lid. 376716406_2159641530906092_2789333037678359769_n.thumb.jpg.56f3a3400f20c86b98a7ba36c763a245.jpg

Well, finally got tired of the diff being loud and decided to change, at which point I started looking into the fuel system and ended up replumbing the return lines.

In progress pic, haven't gotten a chance to test it much except for the fuel system.

387123580_2176571529213092_6436787175837806967_n.jpg

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...