What have you done to your 1200 lately

OpelWagenGT

• Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is an A14 standard engine but with an elec. distributor off a 1980s era Nissan.    I have a brand new Weber 32/36 carb on it at the moment.   Plans are to put on dual Dellorto DHLA 40s.   I have all the parts except the carbs are dismantled and need to be professionally put back together.   Also planning to swap to a GX head which I have also (on my shelf).   Lastly also plan to install headers which I have also (on my shelf).

But for now I am happy with the car as is and hoping to get it driving soon.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I finally got out to my car to start on the front end repair. I'm having a gentleman out here cut off the front clip and re weld on new one( I just don't have the time to take it on myself right now)

Who ever worked on this car before should never use a welder again.....I'll be glad to get her fixed, so i can start slapping the new parts back on it. Sand blasting the front clip and having it painted under the hood.

image_zps0gqvkdfg.jpeg

image_zpsq9ntgvn6.jpeg

image_zpsc7mhnbhk.jpeg

image_zpsgpyamjp4.jpeg

image_zpsaum4jcbi.jpeg

image_zpsocz0frnp.jpeg

image_zpsaenicfnr.jpg

image_zpspndfvbqh.jpeg

image_zpsc7mhnbhk.jpeg

• Like 2

Powerbench:

It's good to see progress being made on your project, and hopefully the sale of some very good, hard to find parts will accelerate the body work on your coupe. Personally, I would like to see a few shot of the front end tear down and the replacement core support going back on along with that stash of NOS sheet metal, it's going to look great! So throw a few shot of what's happening every now and again- helps keep the rest of us motivated! 

• Like 1

I should have the car back this weekend. I wish I could report better news .The guys I have doing the work have the front end off and repaired. It should be getting her sand blasted tomorrow and finished off'd. It turns out that a lot of the car needs some attention/money.I had to have the front end pulled , and re worked( she was curbed hard, and when they started looking into the quarter  panel they showed me how off the body work is ( body lines fade in and out in sharpness) . Oh well , buy a car off the internet , pay the price if you don't inspect properly. My bad ...I'll get her back together , but because of cost , I'm going to have to do most myself now ( body guys aren't cheap),and i'm kinda picky about it looks

• Like 1

Ya the car is worth saving . I was just a bit bummed about how much work it's going to take to make it worthy of a paint job. The accident damage was totally unexpected , but its my own fault for not putting eyes on the car. My guys have the hard work taken care of , so the rest of it will be up to me .

• Like 1

Well , I shot by the body shop today .The front of the car looks 1000 times  better. They just media blasted the front half and epoxied the car and shot it in color for me. There are still some wrinkles of damage, but most of them will not be noticeable. I didn't have them fill and sand the engine bay..( money time) but the general underside looks great. They are going to deal with the drivers  quarter panel. I saw a couple of rust bubbles when I got the car ....I decided to see how bad they were when I got home.  

They were bad enough to have to cut out a pretty good section and make a patch.

Here's the day she went to the shop and the way she looks today after some pretty major surgery

image_zpsas0yqp08.jpeg

image_zpsyz3uzkhz.jpeg

image_zpszmh8yq7t.jpeg

image_zpsx04mmvyu.jpeg

image_zpsne4solku.jpeg

image_zps6ellrhkx.jpeg

• Like 1

Hey Jeff,

The first tell tale sign was the floor in the passenger side. Somebody had beat the floor with what looked like a ball peen hammer to straighten it.If you look at the earlier pic's , the kink at the cross member was a little more inset. The whole headlight area( just by the battery tray) was wrinkled , and the lower front apron and valence were cut and re welded ( badly ....like somebody with an arc welder tried to weld sheet metal.....drunk......and high....possibly blind, maybe with a prosthetic arm). The inner front passenger  support( just below the top of the  fender) had  fair size kinks in it.....which if you never had the fender off , you might not see. I did take off the fender , and I did see. Thank Christ , that bunch of parts I got from that locker had 2 NOS inner supports. And just for good measure while I was taking the car apart,I couldn't get the sway bar bolt on the passenger side  off, because the strap was bent almost over top of it , and the center link has a "C" shape bent into it , which I discovered after I pulled the motor. tycot1 ( also a member on here)...you might know him as the guy that built his own 510 coupe out of a  sedan and his partner Doug have been helping me out with getting this thing "safe"

• Like 1

That is some great looking progress on your Coupe,  I only saw what going on around the right front corner, not everything under neath. You are going to have a very solid car with no surprises when you get it home. 

• Like 1

Damn all of you people and your sweet uncommon datsuns. I can't handle this addiction. First I just wanted my s13 and my 720. Then a 510 wagon joined the family. Then I realized I also need to own a roadster, and an s110 and an s12 (and I would take an s10, just to round out the collection). Then a sunny pickup landed on the list (long before that Hakosunny became a thing). Now these coupes are making a serious argument for themselves.

Oh, I also need a late 70s short wheel base Atlas/Homy/Urvan...

By all that bitching, I mean sweet car!

• Like 1