What have you done to your 1200 lately

OpelWagenGT

• Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks clean, but what is wrong with the factory speaker knockouts in the front kick panels?

Nothing. Just wanted something a little more wacky, and less visible. 

Plus, I like heat and defrost out here in the Pac. N.W.

We don't need it much here...   ^_^

I gutted my heater box a long time ago to shave weight (since I don't need a heater, and it's a good way to direct more fresh air into the car), but kept it in there since I liked the way it looked. I figured this was a way to make it actually useful.   :thumbup:

• Like 1

P4060010.jpg

I bummed a 7/8 rear sway bar from DaveC for a track day at Oregon Raceway Park last Saturday.

P4060012.jpg

I made plates, bought sway bar polyurethane bushings, and a large handful of hardware. Even though the rear springs have a cut-down main leaf flip and stacked on top, the back of Smurf had a LOT of roll. Wasn't enough room to mount in front of the axle so mounted it behind. It felt like it had reduced the rear roll quite a bit. A lot more stable in high speed turns, well OK moderate speed, it's a 1200.

Waiting on video shot by a friend.. soon, I hope.

• Like 5

Ooh ooh ooh I'd love to see this crank triggered ignition setup, I started converting an SR20DET CAS but keep getting told I should use something attached to the crank...I'm going to be doing a single point injected, motorbike coil over plugged'd, AMR500 blown A12

What are you using on the blown one? Teeth milled into an A-series aircon pulley? Or in the front or back of the flywheel? Or just a trigger wheel bolted to the front of the standard pulley with some tabs which fit over the 'spokes' of it to keep it from rotating? Or haven't done it yet?

No need to go to all that trouble.

Trigger wheel on A12

15999.jpg

Since there is no load on the trigger wheel (its not driving a belt or anything), the crank bolt holds it in place with zero slippage, no problem.

New trigger wheels are as cheap as $8. I got mine from pull-a-part.

• Like 1

I started converting an SR20DET CAS but keep getting told I should use something attached to the crank...

A CAS will work just fine but is more work, more cost, and not as elegant or reliable as a trigger wheel.

By the way, the same type of CAS from a Nissan Sentra bolts right to an A12, after to swap the gear from the A12 distributor. No need to convert an SR20 CAS. If you go the CAS route, you can replace the high-res 360 Nissan trigger wheel with a low-res wheel that's compatible with most ECUs. The latest MegaSquirt 3 software (as of Dec 2014) can use the high-res wheel.

There are writeups on all this at http://datsun1200.com.

We don't get Sentras here in Australia. You have to do the same with the SR20DET one, and make a spacer to get the gear to mesh with the gear on the cam properly and to set the timing. Megasquirt make low def wheels for them for $28. I'll be using the Megasquirt Microsquirt, does everything that I want to do.

• 3 weeks later...