What have you done to your 1200 lately

OpelWagenGT

I have an older Pertronix unit in the garage.  I was going to install it on this car, but it had/has an external box that needed to be mounted in the engine compartment.  Silly as it sounds, on THIS car it didn't look right under there.

I don't drive the car all that much, and the points work fine. (most of the time, that is) :)

I'll just leave this here...

coil_example.jpg

;)

• Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have an older Pertronix unit in the garage.  I was going to install it on this car, but it had/has an external box that needed to be mounted in the engine compartment.  Silly as it sounds, on THIS car it didn't look right under there.

I'm with you. The newer version has no such box. Looks bone stock from the outside.  :thumbup:

I didn't know they had updated it.  I'm pretty sure I'll get that one for the Sunny.  I used the older model in my 1200 Coupe, and drove it daily for years with no trouble.  I can always wrap the wires in harness tape to make them look more factory-like, too.. 

I'm with you. The newer version has no such box. Looks bone stock from the outside.  :thumbup:

well lately i was trying to get the car going so i could at least drive it to the datsun matsuri event in Kelowna but that didn't work out. I ran into a few snags with a seized slave cylinder. When i got that fixed i tried to bleed the clutch that didn't work. It turns out that in my fury of pedal pressing to dislodge the seized slave cylinder i bent the rod leading into the master cylinder. Now that needs to be addressed.

I'm also trying to track down a set of cheap tires for my new 14x6 EK 32s The 225's that came on them when i bought the set are way too balloony and don't even come close to fitting. I'm trying to find some 165/55/14

I'm looking for either the A14 or A14 short block.  Wondering if you have or know someone who does in the Okanagan Valley.

Cheers

Roger

• 4 months later...

I drained the coolant and started the removal of the wire loom in the engine bay. 

That engine is out this week. With the prospect of the oil prices headed back into retarded. The 1200 CC engine seems like a reasonable power source with maybe some modern updates. 

The 4 speed with a .8 : 1.0 gear vendor could solve my lack of a 5sp transmission too. 

DatFreak more pretty pictures of the 1200 please.

That engine is out this week. With the prospect of the oil prices headed back into retarded. The 1200 CC engine seems like a reasonable power source with maybe some modern updates. 

The 4 speed with a .8 : 1.0 gear vendor could solve my lack of a 5sp transmission too. 

Other than availability, why not an A14/A15 and a 5spd? MPG would be the same with the bigger engine, if not better? 

DatFreak more pretty pictures of the 1200 please.

Soon. Very soon.   B)

It's been a while so I thought I'd post a bit of my most resent update to my 1200 Coupe.  

I decided to upgrade my headlights from yellow (left) to full LED headlights (right).

276C1F0C-2D34-470F-B33F-CF9945C95EA7_zps

Here is what they look like at night:

47F5B988-0EB1-4824-8DE7-C49094642B3F_zps

• Like 2

Other than availability, why not an A14/A15 and a 5spd? MPG would be the same with the bigger engine, if not better? 

Soon. Very soon.   B)

I cannot find a 5 speed within reasonable financial boundaries. People seem to think Datsun = Gold. So I am looking at alternatives. I can get a OD from a Volvo for 100$.. Its electric active so OD is a button push away.

60a and 63a both fit the 1200

Sweet...I picked up a L16 with a '4 speed' transmission as a transplant for my 1968 Datsun 510 but as it turned out, it's the above pictured transmission (63A #3)...so I'm thinking of putting it in my 1200!

Sweet...I picked up a L16 with a '4 speed' transmission as a transplant for my 1968 Datsun 510 but as it turned out, it's the above pictured transmission (63A #3)...so I'm thinking of putting it in my 1200!

I think you'll need the front half of the case from a 63A from a B210, though. 

Bellhousing bolt pattern is different.  :blush:

Unless of course you're planning an L-series engine.  ^_^

The last dogleg I saw was $600.00 :(

Well considering I picked up the running L16 with weber and '4 speed' transmission (which turned out to be this 63A#3) for $180, I think I got a deal!

I already have the engine in my 1968 510 wagon so it's back on the road! :)

• Like 1

So I have never been thrilled by the red Sparco seats that came in it…

3F81AF38-E7F0-40EC-9FDC-5E8652949C94_zps

And to replace them were these clean tan E30 seats (shown on the left of my garage) J

96E2BAC3-A239-4C03-A26C-23E40D8413FB_zps

Here they are installed, what do you guys think?

E4D99CE1-27E0-4FF7-95FD-E0E344F1F564_zps

23967B17-B43A-445D-A85F-D3E15BB28EF3_zps

• Like 2