My new toy truck

I just bought my first Toyota. Its a 1971 Hilux pickup. I know its not a Datsun but it is vintage Japanese tin and Vintage Japanese = good.

I've seen it sitting around for several months and finally took a stab at it. Drove by, left a note, guy calls me 4 days later and by the end of the week it was in my driveway. Has an 8rc motor that fires up and runs well (a little adjusting is all) 4 brand new tires:lol: and pretty straight body. A little rust on the drivers side pan is all. By the looks of some stickers it was originally a California truck which explains why it hadn't succumbed to Utah salt a long time ago.

I'll post updates occasionally but here are my current plans for it. Bag it all around and set the crossmember on the ground. Leave it in its original patina, maybe with a door logo or something for now while I take care of all the other little bits and pieces. Once that is all dialed in and I take it to a few shows, I'll start working on the body work and paint. Ultimately I'd like to go with the early JDM Corolla/Celica look, but with a truck. As if someone had done a mini truck in that style back then. Low offset wheels, maybe 16s at the most. Rota RBs perhaps (I think I've see them in 5 lug) I'm not going for the modern mini on big wheels look.

Those are my ideas at the moment but you know how project ideas change along the way. Enough typing, here are the pics.

DSCI0037.jpg

DSCI0040.jpg

DSCI0045.jpg

DSCI0034.jpg

DSCI0038.jpg

DSCI0276.jpg

DSCI0039.jpg

• Like 9
  • Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking good greengoon - I like your ideas... Kinda Ratsun style

Oh, I'd like to see your slap a rag top on that one! LOL

Edited by BRE510
you should put mirrors on the back side of the turnsignals

From what I can tell and assume, the holes were for mirrors in japan and we got turn signals in the US. I saw one on the internet that had turn signals in the extra grille spots on the fenders and mirrors on top of the fenders. I may go that route, haven't decided.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks, oldsklminitrk. I'll take you up on that when I get back to it. I've got the front suspension torn apart and am working on getting the crossmember to lay. Right now its just holding things in my garage as I remodel my kitchen. Hopefully I'll get back into it after Thanksgiving.

Mark, I'll be looking for some advice on 4links too.:D

DSCI0284.jpg

DSCI0296.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

OK, finally some updates. I've got the front set up on Slam Specialties RE5 bags and am starting to work on the back now. It was good to get it off the jack stands and drive it around the neighborhood. I hate to have a project down for too long. I'm fabricating a simple notch for the rear as I want to retain the use of the bed. At the moment I just have a few leafs removed and blocks with a plan for helper bags. It will be low but the stance I'm looking for will not require me to lay frame. Shocks and more dialing in to come.

IMG_0691.jpg

IMG_0692.jpg

IMG_0749.jpg

IMG_0751.jpg

IMG_0750.jpg

IMG_0755.jpg

IMG_0756.jpg

• Like 2

A couple weekends ago I disconnect the rear perch of the torsion rod and took the shock out. It dropped the front another 4" and it looked evil. Can't drive it that way but would be cool to drive up, park and drop it. I have been staring at my torsion bars ever since to see if I can MacGyver some way to do this without bagging it , but I have yet to conjure a way and am running out of ideas.:angry: Oh well, we'll see what the future brings :)

I want to see a picture! I think years ago I saw that someone came up with a screw system that raised and lowered torsion bars. I think the bags are even easier or torsion trucks. I had to remove a lot of metal from my spring cup to get the bag not to rub. Years ago they cranked down the torsions and then used air shocks to bring it back up to ride height but that would probably negate the torsion bars. There's bagged 620s on here but how to keep your sway bars? Hmmm...

I want to see a picture! I think years ago I saw that someone came up with a screw system that raised and lowered torsion bars. I think the bags are even easier or torsion trucks. I had to remove a lot of metal from my spring cup to get the bag not to rub. Years ago they cranked down the torsions and then used air shocks to bring it back up to ride height but that would probably negate the torsion bars. There's bagged 620s on here but how to keep your sway bars? Hmmm...

If I have time this weekend I'll do it again and take pictures to inspire you to come and do mine when your done... I'll be more than happy to provide free food and housing and even give you a hand :D

If I have time this weekend I'll do it again and take pictures to inspire you to come and do mine when your done... I'll be more than happy to provide free food and housing and even give you a hand :D

Couldn't resist hijacking my own thread. Hope you don't mind, Lawrence. :D

DSC05210.jpg

DSC05216.jpg

• Like 1

Set the bed back on. Underestimated the weight and still need about 1.5" of drop more. Pictures show weight in the bed to get it where I want it. I didn't even have to cut the bed up. Pumpkin comes about an inch from the bed floor. Need to figure out a little more drop. I'm still not quite comfortable with a full on 4 link yet :unsure:

Also I'm beginning the quest for the "right" set of wheels and you know how big a challenge that is...

IMG_0763.jpg

IMG_0766.jpg

IMG_0765.jpg

IMG_0758.jpg

IMG_0769.jpg

• 1 month later...