620, runs then dies..?

Ok today Ryan helped me install my electronic distributor out of a 610 into my 620. I used a GM HEI module instead of the remote ignitor box & wired it in with instructions from Mklotz. Im only mentioning names cause i know these guys know Datsuns very well. Anyways we get finished & fire it up & it starts right up...runs good for a minute then dies. I try to start it up right away & nothing, just cranking. After a few minutes I try again & she fires up but dies 20 seconds after that. I was chatting with Ted & he thinks it may be a bad coil or a faulty module. The truck does have gas & we didnt adjust the carb during the dist. install. Also im using the coil that was in the same car the dist. was in, on it it says for use with elec. ignition Any other ideas on what is causing this??

Heres the coil & dist. im using...

1474121476_ORIG.jpg

the HEI & new coil...

2-13EDist5.jpg

the vac. advance sits in a diff. spot...

2-13EDist6.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you don't need any kind of resistor on an electronic ignition coil. That should just run. In a Z, if this happens its always the IE module on the side of the dizzy getting too hot... well, when it starts to go out it will do this when it gets warm. I don't know if its due to engine heat or just that it heats up from use. Yours is mounted far away from the engine.

Maybe it is a bad module... snag a free one from the wrecking yard. Subaru.. ;)

I say put the old coil back in, I ran the same dissy with a blaster 2, that whole ohms crap, resistors are for points. If that doesn't work get back to us, I doubt it is the dissy, because its a pick up, why would work then not work. I have heard if the HEI module is backwards it will run just poorly. Lets take it one step at a time. Coil first then something else.

Ok Ill try using the old coil & see how she does. I remember reading somewhere that if you dont run the right coil w/ an elec. dist. it may get hot & stop working?? Ill try it in the driveway & get back. BTW heres an action shot of Ryan ...:D

2-13EDist2.jpg

Ok based on the advise given here & a few IM's [yahoo] from Bleach ill try & hook up the "old" coil & see how it does. I want to also test the "new" coil for power & see if it needs to be tossed or can still be used. On a side note I also had some advise form a well known Datsun person not on this forum yet...:rolleyes:

Let me guess a poorly spelling? Gets a hard on over points conversions? Made a 4hrs L motor video? Hainz? I talked to that old fuck yesterday on the phone, he sure is a great guy. He quite the forums because he no longer daily drives a datto. He is a jeep/hunting guy. Another one bites the dust. Haha I'm just talking out of my ass now :)

I went out & reinstalled the "old" coil & fired the truck up. Started up good...ran for 15 seconds then died again. Let it sit for 3 minutes tried again & 15 seconds later she died again. Im thinking it may be a bad module even though it's "new". I need to buy a multimeter & check how many ohm's go to the coil. & yeah the "other " guy who is helping drives yellow convertable...:cool:

Ok the problem is fixed!! Turns out the ground screw wasnt going all the way through the fenderwell & the module wasnt grounding. I drille dout the hole & used a longer screw & there you go...fired right up & wow! Differences now are...

starts easier & faster..

smoother idle..

better acceleration..

kinda hauls ass now..:D

And after using the site links you guys posted I found out I still need to mount the HEI to a thin piece of alluminum to keep it from getting too hot. More pics to come & thanks again!

Dude I almost said something about grounding the unit..... son of a ** haha It looked good in the photo's you posted. I had the same problem when I did the same conversion in one of my 510's years ago. I'm glad you figured it out.