My SR 520 build

Finally started ripping the 520 apart,this weekend me and my cousin's helped pulled the cab off the frame. Before i pulled the cab off i kinda measured where the fire wall was on the frame so i can kinda use that as a guide so i know where the back of the motor will be.

No the fun part,of fitting the SR20det in there. I have it set almost where i want it,now just waiting on summit to deliver my poly mounts.Tranny is gonna be pretty easy to mount,just getting it alined with the frame so it's all straight. Spent most of the day measuring and marking where the mounts are going to be and squaring it all up.

Ordered the top mount exhaust for it yesterday, so it will clear the steering tube,now have to figure out how to run the downpipe (I jumped the gun on a stock style divorced downpipe).Using a magnaflow muffler.

Was going run a single Wilwood brake master be talking to zenndog on saturday sent it back to summit and gonna run Dual master.Thanks zenndog!

This week should have the mounts welded in and the motor bolted to the frame,gloss black the engine bay and a few other thing done too. Here are some pic's of how it sit's now.

One thing i did not see on my wire harness was the ignitor chip for the motor or where one would go?? Have to check the harness.

sr520.jpg

sr520a.jpg

sr520b.jpg

sr520c.jpg

sr520d.jpg

sr520g.jpg

sr520h.jpg

exhaust.jpg

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

one hell of a tight fit there bro but its looking good and fast cant wait to see it done at a meet

Ya it's pretty tight but i've been measuring everything double checking room in the engine bay as well,just to make it abit easy for me.The cab off really helps. For sure it will be at all the meets in the general area soon!

damn, i wanna come up and see this thing in person, are you using the wilwood 50/50 master cylinder?

Was using this master cylinder single style. Returned it. But now going to ty to find a Z master and use that. Let me know when just been trying to get it done but in no hurry.

wil.jpg

Nice! What's your completion estimate? I went the LOOOOOOOOOng road on mine. Good to see more and more truck enthusiasts getting creative.

-Brian

So far I'm at about 2500 as of now and still have to get afew things but just been ordering as i got to make sure what i want is going to work and fit. I can't imagine doing the swap with the cab on.GL!

Edited by sycloned916

Great to see you got started on the swap! We talked about it when you were picking up that seat, but I didn't realize you would get into it so quickly!

Good luck with it- bring it by when you get it rolling again!

-Phil

Great to see you got started on the swap! We talked about it when you were picking up that seat, but I didn't realize you would get into it so quickly!

Good luck with it- bring it by when you get it rolling again!

-Phil

Will do. I was just waiting on smogin my other truck and it passed?

Finished the mounts today, came out pretty good boxed them all in and reinforced them,now have to take the motor back out and clean up the welds abit and blend it all in so the look kinda stock,prep the frame and get it ready to paint it. Ignitor chip came today ordered it on tuesday. Top mount exhaust manifold should be here tomorrow get that on and check for clearance and run water and oil lines for turbo. More pic's!

A.jpg

B.jpg

D.jpg

E.jpg

F.jpg

G.jpg

H.jpg

S2.jpg

Got the frame and the engine bay done this weekend. Top mount came in today,now have to run a different turbocharger T3 so will be ordering that this week or next if i find one i like. Also will be picking up the BOV this weekend(special order) and putting in the gas tank with the walbro 255 pump in ,and plumming it all up.The cab will go back on sometime this week when my cousin's and buddy's free. Then the wiring starts.

r.jpg

s.jpg

t.jpg

u.jpg

v.jpg

w.jpg

x.jpg

Yes i Do move quick. Today i removed 1 in. from the front frame to make room for a intercooler. Before i pulled the cab i saw that were i wanted the IC the frame was in the way.I also removed the bumper mount off the frame so a radiator will drop in. I hope tomorrow i can drop the cab on getting bored and need to get moving!

z.jpg

Cab's back on. Now the fun stuff.

SR alternator doesn't fit between the frame rails and the steering links,but i found a mini alt that i'm gonna use 60amp gm style,it's about 4in.dia.

The turbo downpipe is pretty close to the brake master,i'm using the stock BM for mock-up untill my new one get here. I tried to use the stock manifold but was not having it. Top mount is the way to go.

Next have to run the heater core lines SR are 5/8in and the 520 are 1/2in.

Not too many problems,kinda expected them thats why i'm ordering parts as i go. So gonna order the T3 turbo soon as i find a nice one.

I'll start the wiring this weekend,want most of the wires in the cab and pluming the tank and alot of the easy stuff till my parts come. Now some PIC's.

f93b7420.jpg

f17be31f.jpg

734a0a09.jpg

cdcff109.jpg

e466e3a0.jpg

b079bd07.jpg

91cc19ca.jpg

f20facf8.jpg

Got some of the wiring done,cleaned it up so most of the wires can be in the cab,mounted the ecu and relays. Got the heater core hooked up to the SR,that was fun! Found a throttle cable off a 200sx the works for my throttle cable.Now just waiting for the turbo and Mini Alt to arrive so i can start the major stuff needed to finish it up. After the alt and turbo I'll do the radiator and IC/ICpiping.

Also found some 280z hood scoops i'll be putting on as well.

DSC.jpg

D0046.jpg

DS3.jpg

D00047.jpg

DSC08.jpg