521 Alternator

kansascity1

Some of you are pretty savvy on swapping parts from Datsun to Datsun. With that being said does anyone know if there is another alternator that will swap into a 521 w/ an L16? Mine just doesn't put out the power I need. My truck is bagged and I'm running an Air Zenith compressor, problem is at higher pressures it draws massive amounts of amperage and my poor little alternator can't keep up.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

you can buy the 50 amper 23100-u6501R from nissanparts.cc

or go to NAPA and ge the Beck Arnley up graded one it will be a 50amper.It will have the sleeve in the alternator mount ears cause the L16 uses the small bolts.

also might have to grind the idler arm mount cause on my 521 it would hit to get the alt belt tight enough.

The GM Saturn unit is the wat to go but you have to sort out some wire at the volt reg connector.I have one but not used yet as I have about 3 new 50amper nissan unitshttp://datsun510.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=124&size=big&papass=&sort=1 this is for a 510 but maybe you can make it work for the 521

the the 5o amper is about the closest I can suggest right now that is almost a bolt in

in this photo i got rid of the 521 stamped metal mount and got a 510 alt mount and had a machine shop drill a 3/8 hole since the Alt has the bigger bolt holes.

Take to machine shop otherwise it could angle and bolt not go thru correctly

l16alternatorboltconversion_thumb.JPG

Some of you are pretty savvy on swapping parts from Datsun to Datsun. With that being said does anyone know if there is another alternator that will swap into a 521 w/ an L16? Mine just doesn't put out the power I need. My truck is bagged and I'm running an Air Zenith compressor, problem is at higher pressures it draws massive amounts of amperage and my poor little alternator can't keep up.

Here's the 620 28 to 30 amp, 720 50 to 60 amp, and I think a Saturn alternator 90 amp. Ask Jeff it's his pix lol. The stock 521 produced about 22 amps.

The 620 should fit, the 720 will be very close to the idler arm, use a 280 Z lower rad hose to block inlet and the 720 block mount, the Saturn I don't know.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/altornaters-1.jpg[/img]"]altornaters-1.jpg