Datsun 610 + KA24DE + Turbo

Well, just as I thought.

150Hp at the rear wheels just isnt enough, and I was getting a little bored with no other projects to work on.

So, the 610 is going to get forced induction. The engine is going to remain a stock 1995 KA24DE (not rebuilding it) and I am going to shoot for a conservative 250-300 Hp at the rear wheels.

I have been doing some research and here are my conclusions:

1. I am going to use a JGS Turbo log style manifold "kit". the kit is a setup where you weld on your own turbo flange wherever you want it. That way I can dial it in exactly for fitment in the engine bay.

2. Fast spooling T3/T4 hybrid turbo with a small-ish (.48) A/R exhaust housing. I can get a garrett with these specs for less than $500. Internal wastegate (I hate the extra plumbing with the external!)

3. 440cc/min injectors to drop in the stock fuel rail.

4. AEM engine management system (friend has one I can use, should plug right into my wiring harness). speed-density system (no MAF sensor anymore! yay!)

5. Already have a walbro 255lph fuel pump and adjustable AEM fuel pressure regulator, so that should be fine.

6. car already has a 3" mandrel bent stainless exhaust, just need to re-fab to first 2 feet of it for the down pipe.

7. The car already has an ACT clutch on it, so we will so how well it does.

8. Aluminum I/C piping I can fab no problem.

For the intercooler, I had one in my garage that i think will work.

I just need to massage the core support to allow the intercooler to sit inward, closer to the radiator. the 610 has a huge amount of room in the front for an intercooler, I just happened to have a huge intercooler that i am going to try to cram in there.

img1303g.jpg

Pipes are going to have to pass through where the high beam headlights are, so no high beams anymore. My main goal is to avoid having to seriously cut/modify the grille.

I will try to update, but progress will be slow as most of my free time is now consumed by a new baby.

more details on the car can be found at the link in my sig.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

although if you dont want to cut the grill your gonna need a smaller intercooler 610s have alot of room up front but the grill is designed to take up most of that roomi dont know about they 74 i know my 76 didnt have it but my 73 does on the radiator support there are 2 mounting tabs one on each side that stick up to mount the grill to i find them handy for knowing how much room i have between the support and the grill i can take pics tomorrow if you like

although if you dont want to cut the grill your gonna need a smaller intercooler 610s have alot of room up front but the grill is designed to take up most of that roomi dont know about they 74 i know my 76 didnt have it but my 73 does on the radiator support there are 2 mounting tabs one on each side that stick up to mount the grill to i find them handy for knowing how much room i have between the support and the grill i can take pics tomorrow if you like

yeah, ummm, those support tabs are gone. I cut them off. i wasnt using them anyway. The intercooler is 3" thick, so it is a little large for the space, but I will see what I can do. Might make a new intercooler, or I may just cut the whole damn core support out and build my own, I need some time to look at it closer.

EDIT:

Whoa! on Ebay I just found you can get a chinese intercooler for cheap! really cheap! I might have to rethink using that massive one....

Edited by compression

the low beams are BMW projector housings with H1 style HID bulbs, so no dual filament option. good idea though.

i will just go without high beams, I dont do a whole lot of night driving so its not that big of an issue.

Update: Chinese intercooler on the way, paid a whole $58 for it. Should fit much better than the one I have, its a little narrower and 1/2" thinner.

if it doesnt work out, I am out $58, I wont lose any sleep.

Edited by compression
the low beams are BMW projector housings with H1 style HID bulbs, so no dual filament option. good idea though.

i will just go without high beams, I dont do a whole lot of night driving so its not that big of an issue.

Update: Chinese intercooler on the way, paid a whole $58 for it. Should fit much better than the one I have, its a little narrower and 1/2" thinner.

if it doesnt work out, I am out $58, I wont lose any sleep.

Wait a minute - Use the high beams from the BMW setup for the low beam side. Run 9004 or 9007 dual filament bulbs. You won't have the projector setup, but you will have quad headlights that work again :)

No way william! :)

I am not losing my projectors. I spent a huge amount of hours modifying the projector bodies, the headlight buckets, and the inner fenders of the engine bay to get those things in there!

High beams go bye-bye.

like I said, I consider it a non-issue as I dont really drive the car at night very much, and the projectors with the HID bulbs do a really good job of lighting up the road anyway.

I appreciate the thought though!

dsc1281edit.jpg

Edited by compression

I love my quad lights, but for the sake of the new setup, go without the high beams. I modded mine up for the BMW headlights - I love the look, so I completely understand. Would I do it all again? Hell yes.

I know you'll make it look good, and the function is what you need. Go Turbo!

• 4 years later...
  • 2 months later...